The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:10:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97027 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: February 14, 2021, 06:46:03 pm »

Bliss: Pastoral "Lie Strewn the White Flocks" Nancy Evans (mezzo-soprano) Henry Taylor (timpani) Gareth Morris (flute) BBC Chorus  Jacques String Orchestra
         Reginald Jacques conductor  Rec: 10th January 1951
This is a,particularly,lovely recording. Nancy Evans is excellent. Very good,clear,mono sound.

The 2cd Dutton set. One of my favourite works by Sir Arthur Bliss. :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #1171 on: February 14, 2021, 06:53:00 pm »

Coleridge-Taylor Four Novelletten op 52 for String Orchestra played by the Sudwestduetsches Kammerorchester Pforzheim, under Vladisalv Czarnecki on the EBS label. Checking on Presto, it seems no longer to be available, which is a shame. (But if you type "Coleridge-Taylor Novelletten" into Google you will get directed to various Youtube performances...)

The coupling is the two sets of Novelletten by Niels Gade but stylistically, SC-T's Novelletten have much more in common with the Serenades for Strings by Dvořák (of course), Tchaikovsky and Elgar than they have with the earlier Gade (whose music, despite the advocacy of Mendelssohn, I find somewhat insipid).
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: February 14, 2021, 08:11:54 pm »

Stanford: Symphony No 6 Ulster Orchestra Handley

The Chandos cd (Not from the box set!). I received this,through the post,on Saturday! I did have it in my collection before! The opening bars just sweep you into the drama,don't they? A lovely slow movement,with lush sounding strings. These are the kind of strings and recording quality I would like to hear in a recording of Rubinstein's "Ocean" Symphony. That said,I think Stanford's a more inspired composer.(Comparison's,eh?! ::) ;D). But he,just is,unfortunately! Still,Anton Rubinstein was a better pianist,wasn't he? (What a pity he was too early for recordings!) A wonderful symphony! To think some idiot left the earlier copy in a charity shop!! ::) :-[
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #1173 on: February 14, 2021, 10:09:33 pm »

The Chandos cd (Not from the box set!). I received this,through the post,on Saturday! I did have it in my collection before! The opening bars just sweep you into the drama,don't they? A lovely slow movement,with lush sounding strings. These are the kind of strings and recording quality I would like to hear in a recording of Rubinstein's "Ocean" Symphony. That said,I think Stanford's a more inspired composer.(Comparison's,eh?! ::) ;D). But he,just is,unfortunately! Still,Anton Rubinstein was a better pianist,wasn't he? (What a pity he was too early for recordings!) A wonderful symphony! To think some idiot left the earlier copy in a charity shop!! ::) :-[

Yes, comparisons are odorous, as Mrs Malaprop said. But you can't get away from the fact that some composers are definitely better than others, and by 'better' I mean that they write more interesting and attractive music in meaningful structures, and with a sure technique in all aspects of the composer's art.  By that definition, Stanford is undoubtedly a better composer than Rubinstein (by a country mile).  I have all Tod Handley's recordings of the symphonies (either in CD or download formats) and I wouldn't want to be without any of 'em. I'm not saying the Ocean Symphony wouldn't sound better played by the Berlin Philharmonic than by the St. Moribund-in-the-Mire strolling players , but that still wouldn't make it great music.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: February 14, 2021, 10:21:45 pm »

Stanford's 6th is a wonderful score, and the slow movement is sublime - a worthy tribute to a truly great artist, Watts...

;D

I personally think you're right about Rubinstein, but what would I know? I simply prefer one to the other, and the world would be poorer without Rubinstein's music simply because it floats other people's boats - unlike the truly heinous bagpipe duet that I inadvertently happened to catch in transit on Radio 3 ("flagship cultural station of the BBC", my harris) t'other night...

:P :P :P :P :P

;)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: February 14, 2021, 10:29:23 pm »

the St. Moribund-in-the-Mire strolling players

I have all the albums, their Alpine Symphony (as edited by Gerard Hoffnung) is pure aural and audio delight...

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #1176 on: February 14, 2021, 11:00:12 pm »

Stanford's 6th is a wonderful score, and the slow movement is sublime - a worthy tribute to a truly great artist, Watts...

;D

I personally think you're right about Rubinstein, but what would I know? I simply prefer one to the other, and the world would be poorer without Rubinstein's music simply because it floats other people's boats - unlike the truly heinous bagpipe duet that I inadvertently happened to catch in transit on Radio 3 ("flagship cultural station of the BBC", my harris) t'other night...

:P :P :P :P :P

;)

Oh I quite agree that the world would be poorer without Rubinstein's music. Chacun à son goût. I even like Rubinstein's Melody in F, if that helps.

I think it was Chopin who said that there is nothing more pleasing to the ear than the sound of a guitar -- save perhaps the sound of two guitars. I doubt he'd have said the same about bagpipes. You clearly wouldn't and neither would I.

And by the way, who was it said that a 'gentleman' is someone who can play the bagpipes, but doesn't?
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #1177 on: February 14, 2021, 11:01:40 pm »

the St. Moribund-in-the-Mire strolling players

I have all the albums, their Alpine Symphony (as edited by Gerard Hoffnung) is pure aural and audio delight...

;D
Now that I'd like to hear.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: February 14, 2021, 11:19:00 pm »

who was it said that a 'gentleman' is someone who can play the bagpipes, but doesn't?

Separated at birth? Quite uncanny...

:o
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 14, 2021, 11:47:24 pm »

Bliss: The Beatitudes Jennifer Vyvyan soprano Richard Lewis tenor BBCSO The Festival Choir Arthur Bliss BBC Home Service broadcast: 25/05/62

This is the 2 cd Dutton set. After reading some negative responses to this opus,on a rival forum,I,personally,enjoyed listening to The Beatitudes,when I received the set,a few months ago. I,actually,preferred it to the performance on the Lyrita,when I heard it! But,we'll see how I feel,now?! A fantastic collection. The Dutton cd also includes,Pastoral "Lie Strewn the White Flocks",one of my favourite Bliss works.

Both works are quite splendid, and the more recordings both commercial and off-air that are available the better (there are good 1991 and 2012 Beatitudes in the archive)...

:D

If "a rival forum" refers to where I think it refers to, I'm surprised that Bliss even made it over the threshold before the door was firmly locked, barred and triple-bolted, with the safety chain super-glued into place - hardly "Romantic Era" m'dear...

;)
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: February 15, 2021, 06:22:34 pm »

Arthur Somervell's reek-of-the-heather Highland Concerto and me old mate Frederic Cowen's wonderful Concertstuck courtesy of Hyperion, Martin Roscoe and the ever-reliable Martyn Brabbins.

;D

Long live the RPC series - not necessarily "of the Romantic Era"...

;)

Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 15, 2021, 08:29:19 pm »

Bliss: The Beatitudes Heather Harper (soprano) Gerald English (tenor)
         Goldsmiths Choral Union,Royal Choral Society,Wembley Philharmonic Society,
         BBC Chorus,BBCSO Arthur Bliss conducting    BBC Prom Premiere,Albert Hall,London. Br: August 31st 1964

The Lyrita cd. Indeed! This is a fine work! I'm enjoying it,very much. In very good,clear,mono sound. Thank You,Lyrita! :)

Now.......again! Is there,anything,by Sir Arthur Bliss I don't like?!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: February 15, 2021, 09:05:28 pm »

Bliss: The Enchantress,scena for contralto and orchestra   Pamela Bowden (contralto) BBCSO/Rudolf Schwarz BBC br: April 21st 1957

The same Lyrita cd. To be fair to David Hurwitz ::) Listening now,I think this performance does top the Chandos,with Linda Finnie?! An excellent performance. A fine work! Lovely,clear,mono sound.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #1183 on: February 15, 2021, 09:58:02 pm »

Arthur Somervell's reek-of-the-heather Highland Concerto and me old mate Frederic Cowen's wonderful Concertstuck courtesy of Hyperion, Martin Roscoe and the ever-reliable Martyn Brabbins.

;D

Long live the RPC series - not necessarily "of the Romantic Era"...

;)

I have this CD too. For what it's worth I agree with your assessments. Somervell's Violin Concerto is also a lovely work.

:)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #1184 on: February 15, 2021, 10:09:38 pm »

Prompted by your recent total immersion into Bliss, cylgwyn, I think maybe it's time I went for a dip in that pond too. I have quite a few recordings of his music on CD and downloaded but it's a long time since I played any of it. I must trawl the British and Irish music downloads too as that has stuff I otherwise don't.

I think I'll dive in with dear ole Charlie Groves's recording of the Colour Stymphony.

Enough with the watery allusions, already!

;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: