The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:12:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97098 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: February 13, 2021, 04:02:00 pm »

Arthur Bliss: Sonata for Piano & Violin    Rupert Luck (violin)    Mathew Rickard (piano)

This is the EM Records cd.The cd also includes Walford Davies': Sonata in A Major for Violin and Piano. Also,a Sonata in A Minor for Violin and Piano,by........:o :o :o,York Bowen!!!

;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 13, 2021, 04:07:51 pm »

Got that to my satisfaction....in the end! Actually,I'm just putting the cd on! ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: February 13, 2021, 04:13:21 pm »

Also,a Sonata in A Minor for Violin and Piano,by........:o :o :o,York Bowen!!!

;D

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: February 13, 2021, 04:29:33 pm »

;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #1159 on: February 13, 2021, 05:18:42 pm »

Oh dearie me! If poor old York Bowen knew what a to-do he'd be inciting (a popular concept just now) 60 years after his death, I expect he'd be surprised (and quietly pleased that anybody cares)!

;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #1160 on: February 13, 2021, 05:48:58 pm »

I wasn't entirely serious about Rubinstein being performed by the Berlin Philharmonic. But then again,Herbert Von Karajan recorded Balakirev,once. So,I just thought what if they did record a Rubinstein symphony. (Yes,I know it's unlikely!!) If they,actually did,I would presume the "Ocean" Symphony would be the most likely suspect? It was just all this talk of Edward German and Arthur Sullivan's 'concert' music got me thinking I'd give old Rubinstein's symphonies another go!

You make a very good point, cilgwyn. I have often had fantasies about how, say, the Vienna Philharmonic would carry off Sullivan's Di Ballo Overture. One can only imagine the élan with which they would deliver that. Or how the Berlin Philharmonic would sound in Coleridge-Taylor's Symphonic Variations on an African Air (especially that burnished string section). Ah, such stuff as dreams are made on...

Still, not to be ungrateful for the good recordings we do have of those two pieces (unlike poor ol' Rubinstein and his symphonies).
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #1161 on: February 13, 2021, 06:23:06 pm »

Hélène Grimaud with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra conducted by David Zinman in Gershwin's Piano Concerto in F major. Naughty but nice.  :)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: February 13, 2021, 08:55:21 pm »

Oh dearie me! If poor old York Bowen knew what a to-do he'd be inciting (a popular concept just now) 60 years after his death, I expect he'd be surprised (and quietly pleased that anybody cares)!

;D

Well, he was affectionately known to his pupils as "Yobo"...

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: February 13, 2021, 09:30:31 pm »

EM Records EMRCD047

;D
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: February 14, 2021, 12:46:14 pm »

Bliss: Mêlée Fantasque Royal Scottish National Orchestra

This is the cd that includes the complete Checkmate. Mêlée Fantasque was,sort-of,new to me. I bought the cd,mainly for Checkmate;so I concentrated on that,last time. (I haven't had the Naxos cd,for that long. I had the ASV recording,previously). I said in a previous post,that I thought I,marginally,preferred Miracle in the Gorbals. Not wishing to compare;but I think Checkmate is the greater score (if I had to choose). It has that symphonic sweep and grandeur,to parts of the score,that Lionel has spoken of (with respect to Edward German).

Bliss: Checkmate (as above!)

I remember watching the ballet,with my parent's, on an old rented black & white tv,when I was a youngster. I think the the performance was a famous,or 'celebrated' one,with well known performers,of the time? It may have even been released on dvd? Or.VHS? Not being into actually watching ballet,I probably had to watch it,as there was usually only one tv,in those days! (No Hulk! But I managed to watch Wonder Woman,while they were making the tea!! ;D) I may have enjoyed the music,however? And the,strange,chess costumes may have caught my imagination?

I think Sullivan's Di Ballo Overture would be worthy of the Vienna Philharmonic! Some hope?! ::) ;D According to Wikipedia,it's "the most frequently performed of Sullivan's non-operatic compositions". (I didn't know Arthur Fiedler had recorded it? And I've never heard of Tom Higgins!)

Rubinstein's Third Symphony was pleasant enough. I don't think it's one of his best,though?! If you think there is a best?!! ;D It's No 1,2 & 4,as far as I'm concerned (so far,anyway!) The dry,arid sounding recording and undernourished strings didn't help,though. Not as bad as the Plovdiv Philharmonic,though! Those Louis Glass cd's were amongst the worst.........possibly the worst recordings of orchestral works,I've ever heard!) Although,I'm given to understand,they're,usually,better! And,although,I don't,really,like comparisons;I would rate Edward German and Arthur Sullivan,more highly! (Although,I'm sure Svetlanov,or even,Fedoseyev,would have made a difference?!) The Demon is,generally,regarded as Rubinstein's masterpiece,of course! I've got to admit,I haven't heard it. Although,I've hard the odd aria. The Melodiya set looked quite appealing,with it's lurid artwork! Too pricey for me,though! And,with the exception of Rimsky-Korsakov,I find Russian operas a bit on the heavy side! (Which shows my level of intellect! ::) ;D)
That said,I think the "Ocean" Symphony (at least) deserves the kind of recording,Spohr and Raff,have enjoyed,courtesy of Hyperion and Cpo!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: February 14, 2021, 01:00:30 pm »

Bliss Cello Concerto  Raphael Wallfisch  Ulster Orchestra  Vernon Handley conducting

This is the Chandos cd. I only,acquired this cd,fairly recently,so I'm not that familiar with his Cello Concerto. I could even say,it's 'new' to me! I like what I'm hearing,so far!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: February 14, 2021, 01:04:25 pm »

This is the cd that includes the complete Checkmate.

You've started me off on a tour of the four Bliss ballets: I just can't get enough now, and they're definitely good for you....

;D

Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: February 14, 2021, 02:43:28 pm »

This is the cd that includes the complete Checkmate.

You've started me off on a tour of the four Bliss ballets: I just can't get enough now, and they're definitely good for you....

;D

Nice and low fat! Nutritous,with enough just enough fibre to keep you out of a cold bathroom!! Tasty too! And that includes,the Black queen! :o I was unaware that Nestlé had named a yogurt after him,though!! :o ;D

Bliss: The Enchantress   Linda Finnie Ulster Orchestra Vernon Handley conducting

David Hurwitz remarks about Linda Finnie,are pretty,mean spirited! (He can be,very,childish!) Enough to make me buy another Linda Finnie cd,in support of her! Nick Barnard,at Musicweb,think she's "very good"! I will have to listen to Pamela Bowden later,on my Beatitudes,Lyrita cd.

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-11388/

Q: Is there anything by Sir Arthur Bliss I don't like?!! ??? ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: February 14, 2021, 03:35:21 pm »

Linda Finnie singing: Korngold: Abschiedslieder BBC Philharmonic Edward Downes conducting :) :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: February 14, 2021, 04:00:48 pm »

Bliss: The Beatitudes Jennifer Vyvyan soprano Richard Lewis tenor BBCSO The Festival Choir Arthur Bliss BBC Home Service broadcast: 25/05/62

This is the 2 cd Dutton set. After reading some negative responses to this opus,on a rival forum,I,personally,enjoyed listening to The Beatitudes,when I received the set,a few months ago. I,actually,preferred it to the performance on the Lyrita,when I heard it! But,we'll see how I feel,now?! A fantastic collection. The Dutton cd also includes,Pastoral "Lie Strewn the White Flocks",one of my favourite Bliss works.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: