The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:58:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97245 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: February 10, 2021, 09:11:15 pm »

At the moment, I shall mostly be listening to Hubert Parry's quite sublime and deeply moving (to an old atheist at least) Ode on the Nativity (1912): very few could work a choral climax (ahem) quite like Parry...

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: February 10, 2021, 11:28:42 pm »

The 1966 BBC broadcast of

These 1966 files have been a bloody nightmare to process - many are corrupted: cleaning and editing, converting MP3 to WAV, joining WAV files, converting back to higher-res MP3...

;)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest145
« Reply #1127 on: February 10, 2021, 11:43:30 pm »

It most certainly is (even if one could sometimes do with the assistance of the Addams Family's 'Thing').

Come to think of it, having a Thing on the organ console would be quite useful -- turning pages, drawing stops, etc.  ;)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: February 11, 2021, 12:12:46 am »

It most certainly is (even if one could sometimes do with the assistance of the Addams Family's 'Thing').

Come to think of it, having a Thing on the organ console would be quite useful -- turning pages, drawing stops, etc.  ;)

"Seated one day at the organ I was weary and ill-at-ease,
And my fingers wandered idly over the organist's knees..."

...well she did have a 64-foot Contra Trombone at her disposal.

;D
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #1129 on: February 11, 2021, 09:08:16 am »

How right you are.  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #1130 on: February 11, 2021, 09:21:00 am »

"Seated one day at the organ I was weary and ill-at-ease,
And my fingers wandered idly over the organist's knees..."

:o Now, now, John, you of all people should know how much dear Sir Arthur disliked people parodying The Lost Chord, given the circumstances under which it was composed!

(For those who are unaware, it was written in memory of his brother Fred.)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: February 11, 2021, 01:19:27 pm »

Bliss: Metamorphic Variations BBC Welsh Symphony Orchestra Barry Wordsworth conducting.

This is the Nimbus cd,which also includes the Colour Symphony. I seem to be about the only one who likes the Metamorphic Variations! I think it has some fine scoring,and moments of magic. Wordsworth's recording of the Colour Symphony was also the first recording I ever heard of the work. I think it's an excellent recording. I wouldn't say it's the best,though!

I just finished listening to,so called,'complete' (well,not really!!)  recordings of Gilbert and Sullivan's HMS Pinafore and Yeomen,dating from 1907,on the Symposium label. Quite well sung,actually! The posh spoken introductions to the cylinders are howlers! ;D Some snatches of dialogue,too! Fascinating! The D'oyly Carte had to wait a few more years,though! The record executives having some,half baked idea,they weren't up to the job! ::)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: February 11, 2021, 01:48:46 pm »

The 1966 BBC broadcast of

These 1966 files have been a bloody nightmare to process - many are corrupted: cleaning and editing, converting MP3 to WAV, joining WAV files, converting back to higher-res MP3...

;)
Some people regard the 1966 BBC broadcast as the best ever recording! And Patricia Routledge (Hyacinth Bucket,no less! :o) as the best ever,Mad Margaret! It's certainly,my favourite recording! The hokey narrations,just adding to the period flavour. Strangely enough,I also like the Ohio Light Opera recording. I think it was their best one? The Monty Python style women's voices,just adding to a sense of fun,missing from some of the studio recordings. The,stereo,D'Oyly Carte recording is,probably,the best sung;but the decision,by Decca,to end the inclusion of dialogue,at that point,detracts from what could have been one of their best recordings. Of course,some people don't like the inclusion of dialogue;but now the D'Oyly Carte is gone,and thus,a bit of history has gone,forever,unrecorded! (I wish the rumours of Decca having recorded the dialogue were true?! Wouldn't it be great if somebody unearthed some old tapes?!!) The 1924 D'Oyly Carte recording,regarded by many,as the finest,has a brief snatch of dialogue. The Glyndebourne/Sargent recording is regarded as one of their better efforts,too. I prefer the D'Oyly Carte! I'm not so keen on some of the later,studio,recordings (with the exception of the 1989 BBC broadcast) But each to his own! :)

NB: I should mention the New Sadlers Wells recording,which is regarded as a landmark recording,and restores lots of bits that got changed & left out,later!

NB2: Compared to Albion,I know,just about,b***** all,about G & S! But,it's worth a try!! ::) ;D

NB3: I can smell tea!! (food! ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: February 11, 2021, 05:38:57 pm »

Bliss: Metamorphic Variations BBC Welsh Symphony Orchestra Barry Wordsworth conducting.

This is the Nimbus cd,which also includes the Colour Symphony. I seem to be about the only one who likes the Metamorphic Variations! I think it has some fine scoring,and moments of magic. Wordsworth's recording of the Colour Symphony was also the first recording I ever heard of the work. I think it's an excellent recording. I wouldn't say it's the best,though!

I just finished listening to,so called,'complete' (well,not really!!)  recordings of Gilbert and Sullivan's HMS Pinafore and Yeomen,dating from 1907,on the Symposium label. Quite well sung,actually! The posh spoken introductions to the cylinders are howlers! ;D Some snatches of dialogue,too! Fascinating! The D'oyly Carte had to wait a few more years,though! The record executives having some,half baked idea,they weren't up to the job! ::)
Final movement of this recording of the Colour Symphony. I know Wordsworth's is not,usually,one of the most highly rated;but I still think,the climax,in the final movement of this recording,is one of the most exciting!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: February 11, 2021, 06:27:52 pm »

Walton: Checkmate Complete Ballet Royal Ballet Sinfonia Barry Wordsworth

This is the,very interesting,2cd ASV set,entitled,'A Tribute to Madam' (Ninette de Valois). The set also includes complete recordings of three other ballet's. I quite like Gavin Gordon's The Rake Progress,on the other cd,in the set. There's also The Prospect Before Us (Boyce arr Lambert) and Geoffrey Toye's The Haunted Ballroom. Nice! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: February 11, 2021, 06:54:59 pm »

I know,just about,b***** all,about G & S! But,it's worth a try!! ::) ;D

That's why forums exist - you know your stuff, I know my stuff, we all know our own stuff...

;)
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: February 11, 2021, 07:22:34 pm »

The 1966 BBC broadcast of one of Sullivan's finest scores...

(Heaven!)

;D

...and it's snowing outside my kitchen window...

;)
I actually,had an urge to eat a sausage roll after eating.......sorry  ;D, reading this post! I,subsequently (today!) bought a pack of them,in a certain,low cost,supermarket! I've only eaten one,so far! While there,I also succumbed to a recent urge to eat rice pudding (and a nice,creamy one,at that!). Although,I think I'll wait until the weekend to open a tin? I remember my Welsh grandmother (Mam) used to make a nice,creamy home made one,with a crust on top. Not like the runny ones in school!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: February 12, 2021, 06:58:53 am »

I actually,had an urge to eat a sausage roll after eating.......sorry  ;D, reading this post! I,subsequently (today!) bought a pack of them,in a certain,low cost,supermarket! I've only eaten one,so far! While there,I also succumbed to a recent urge to eat rice pudding (and a nice,creamy one,at that!). Although,I think I'll wait until the weekend to open a tin? I remember my Welsh grandmother (Mam) used to make a nice,creamy home made one,with a crust on top. Not like the runny ones in school!

Mmmmmm....

Well, I am half-Welsh after all...

;)
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #1138 on: February 12, 2021, 09:13:58 am »

I also succumbed to a recent urge to eat rice pudding (and a nice,creamy one,at that!). Although,I think I'll wait until the weekend to open a tin? I remember my Welsh grandmother (Mam) used to make a nice,creamy home made one,with a crust on top. Not like the runny ones in school!
The trick is to pop a bay leaf into it...  :P
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: February 12, 2021, 11:49:38 am »

Dutton CDLX 7202

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: