The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:36:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97324 times)
guest822
« Reply #1110 on: February 09, 2021, 05:07:22 pm »

For anyone who thinks I'm a hardcore,Bliss nut! ;D

I was wondering.  Still, they can't touch you for it!

;)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: February 09, 2021, 05:17:27 pm »

;D

Now Playing: Bliss Colour Symphony    English Northern Philharmonia David Lloyd-Jones

This is the Naxos cd,that also includes,a complete recording of Adam Zero.
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: February 09, 2021, 10:55:08 pm »

Albert Moeschinger's piano concertos, George Frederick Bristow Sym no. 3, I jump around a lot
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 09, 2021, 10:55:23 pm »

Albert Moeschinger's piano concertos, George Frederick Bristow Sym no. 3, I jump around a lot
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: February 10, 2021, 05:46:25 am »

I jump around a lot

Me too...

;)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #1115 on: February 10, 2021, 12:43:55 pm »

Firmly grounded, I am listening to Léon Boëllmann's lovely Symphonic Variations op 23 for cello and orchestra, played by Paul Tortelier with Royal Philharmonic Orchestra under Paul's son, Yan Pascal. So far as I know, this is the only modern recording of the version with orchestral (as opposed to piano) accompaniment. It was first issued in 1979 as a filler to Tortelier's recording of the Schumann concerto (and Bruch's Kol Nidrei) but is now available only in a 20 CD box set of Tortelier's EMI recordings. The theme on which the variations are based is a real ear-worm!

I first encountered Boëllmann about fifty-five years ago when my organ teacher put the Suite Gothique on the desk in front of me and said, 'Go away and learn that, especially the Toccata'. Everything of his that I've encountered since over the years has impressed me with its sheer quality, including a Piano Quartet, a Piano Trio and a magnificent Sonata for Cello and Piano. Another sad loss, aged only 35. 
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: February 10, 2021, 01:55:40 pm »

Bliss: Colour Symphony    Ulster Orchestra conducted by Vernon Handley

This is the Chandos cd,which also includes the Checkmate Suite (which will be playing,next!)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: February 10, 2021, 02:21:32 pm »

The 1966 BBC broadcast of one of Sullivan's finest scores...

(Heaven!)

;D

...and it's snowing outside my kitchen window...

;)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest145
« Reply #1118 on: February 10, 2021, 02:57:32 pm »

I first encountered Boëllmann about fifty-five years ago when my organ teacher put the Suite Gothique on the desk in front of me and said, 'Go away and learn that, especially the Toccata'. Everything of his that I've encountered since over the years has impressed me with its sheer quality, including a Piano Quartet, a Piano Trio and a magnificent Sonata for Cello and Piano. Another sad loss, aged only 35.

I couldn't agree more, Lionel! I became acquainted with Boellmann's music not long after you did, and the first piece of his I came to know was also the Suite gothique. I spent some time working on the first three movements but never came close to mastering the Toccata. However, in my capacity as a church organist over the past 40 years or so I've played selections from Boellmann's Heures mystiques on many, many occasions in many churches -- as preludes, postludes, offertories, etc. His music is very enjoyable and satisfying to play, and invariably elicits compliments from listeners.

I love Bliss' music as well, including the music on the recordings just mentioned on this thread, Things to Come and the Colour Symphony, especially.

Albert Moeschinger is a name I was completely unfamiliar with until about a year ago, but I've been very impressed with the many works I've heard since then!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: February 10, 2021, 03:16:04 pm »

I first encountered Boëllmann about fifty-five years ago when my organ teacher put the Suite Gothique on the desk in front of me and said, 'Go away and learn that, especially the Toccata'.

Dah-de-dah-de-dah, Dah-de-dah-de-dah.....

;D
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #1120 on: February 10, 2021, 03:20:15 pm »

;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #1121 on: February 10, 2021, 03:29:12 pm »

His music is very enjoyable and satisfying to play...

It most certainly is (even if one could sometimes do with the assistance of the Addams Family's 'Thing').
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: February 10, 2021, 03:56:40 pm »

His music is very enjoyable and satisfying to play...

It most certainly is (even if one could sometimes do with the assistance of the Addams Family's 'Thing').

Look very closely...

;D
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #1123 on: February 10, 2021, 04:07:23 pm »

Look very closely...

;D

When they said, 'hand transplant' I just kind of assumed they would've checked...
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: February 10, 2021, 08:30:22 pm »

When they said, 'hand transplant' I just kind of assumed they would've checked...

;D ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: