The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:39:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96676 times)
guest377
« Reply #1065 on: February 16, 2020, 08:31:01 pm »

also ...Max Schteinberg's Symphony no 5
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #1066 on: February 16, 2020, 08:33:51 pm »

Would love to hear Abeliovich symphony no. 4
Robert

its almost like a piano concerto
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #1067 on: February 17, 2020, 11:34:23 am »

Uploading Zolotarev's Symphony no 1 into Sibelius.... painful and pleasant use of time

Any joy with this David?
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: February 02, 2021, 12:17:03 am »

Today, in between the odd bit of typing on Wikipedia and cracking the occasional can, I have mostly been listening to Ian Whyte's lovely broadcast of York Bowen's Symphony No.3, dance music arrangements from Johann Strauss's operettas Blindkuh and Waldmeister, Holbrooke's The Bells, vintage recordings of selections from Edwardian musical comedies...

8)

...oh, and some fatuous blather from certain Radio 3 presenters (only in passing, when the better alternatives listed above came to an end).

;)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: February 03, 2021, 08:08:44 pm »

The wonderful comic opera The Mountebanks (1892) by W.S. Gilbert and Alfred Cellier.

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: February 03, 2021, 10:51:19 pm »

Rawsthorne Symphony No1,from the Lyrita cd. Interesting that the third symphony was recorded before the others. I somehow,thought it would be the other way around?! I find them all absorbing. In fact,I don't think I've heard anything by Rawsthorne I haven't found interesting,or enjoyable. Albeit,some of it is of a higher inspiration,than other pieces. But it's all very satisfying. The Second has moments of haunting beauty. I love the vocal contribution. Astringent,tough at times;but there's a lyrical quality. Even,the odd tune that goes around in my head,afterwards. One in particular! I think it's in the Second Symphony? I should remember!! ::) I've got the Naxos cd of the symphonies in the pile,as well.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 03, 2021, 11:04:09 pm »

Rawsthorne Symphony No 2. I love the mysterious sounding opening. I presume (!) the "tune that goes around in my head" (after listening) must be the 3rd movement 'Country Dance: Allegro giocoso'?

Second movement,beginning now! There's some lovely,brooding,haunting,music here,that belies his,somewhat,'thorne-y' (geddit?!! ;D) image! I wonder how the Naxos recording will compare? (I have listened to it before) Besides the more up-to-date sound quality,of course?

Ah,the third movement! This is the tune. I had this music going around in my head,a while back,and I kept wondering where I'd picked it up?!!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: February 03, 2021, 11:21:23 pm »

Military Band selections, of mature vintage, from Sullivan's Haddon Hall, Utopia Limited and The Emerald Isle...

:-*

...lovely on a quiet night here in la belle Nottingham, lol.

;)
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 04, 2021, 02:14:42 pm »

Not napping! ;D Afternoon! :) Currently listening to the Lyrita cd of Rawsthorne's Piano concertos & Symphonic Studies. The Rawsthorne Symphonies cd was replaced by the Symposium Sullivan cd,after midnight. Rawsthorne was a bit much for the witching hour! :o I think I actually prefer the Lyrita cd of the symphonies? The Naxos recording is very good,but the Lyrita performances seem to possess more of that elusive element,atmosphere. It may just be a sentimental attachment to,dear old Lyrita,though?!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: February 04, 2021, 02:20:40 pm »

It may just be a sentimental attachment to,dear old Lyrita,though?!

You're not the only one with such fond memories - record shops of old: LP covers in smelly plastic cases arranged in enticing racks just waiting to be rifled-through...

...I really miss the old days.

::)
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 04, 2021, 04:35:14 pm »

And those old Melodiya boxed sets with the niffy glue that knocked you back! :o ;D The endearing old Supraphon translations. Unintentionally amusing,unlike the Cpo ones! >:( The scratched Lp that,helpfully,nudged the stylus to the next groove,so it would go on playing,instead of freezing! :) And no,toothpaste won't get rid of it! It'll just stink of spearmint & you'll feel silly!! ::) ;D Paper catalogues and lists,you could hold,and read over breakfast,dropping through your letterbox! Artwork you could prop up,and see from across the room,without binoculars! The presence of a friendly,helpful,knowledgable record shop owner,or assistant! Emi,Decca,Philips and Deutsch Grammophon,actually having,an exciting,world premiere recording of a previously unrecorded opera,operetta........or even a symphony!! (Faints at this point!! :o)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 04, 2021, 04:49:19 pm »

And those old Melodiya boxed sets with the niffy glue that knocked you back! :o ;D The endearing old Supraphon translations. Unintentionally amusing,unlike the Cpo ones! >:( The scratched Lp that,helpfully,nudged the stylus to the next groove,so it would go on playing,instead of freezing! :) And no,toothpaste won't get rid of it! It'll just stink of spearmint & you'll feel silly!! ::) ;D Paper catalogues and lists,you could hold,and read over breakfast,dropping through your letterbox! Artwork you could prop up,and see from across the room,without binoculars! The presence of a friendly,helpful,knowledgable record shop owner,or assistant! Emi,Decca,Philips and Deutsch Grammophon,actually having,an exciting,world premiere recording of a previously unrecorded opera,operetta........or even a symphony!! (Faints at this point!! :o)

"The Golden Disc" in Oldham, where I was dragged up, was in an old Victorian shopping arcade long since demolished for some faceless concrete shoe-box or other. As you may imagine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmiWpUu6S8s&feature=emb_title

...Oldham, despite being the wealthiest town in the country during the nineteenth century due to it's plethora of red-brick cotton palaces, was hardly a cultural oasis as a child.

::)
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 04, 2021, 05:12:10 pm »

Swales Music Centre in Haverfordwest,for me! Still,very fondly rememberd by me,and others,I gather! It was actually two connected shops. One had music scores,books and instruments. The other one had all the Lp's & cassettes (Pop,Rock and Folk,too) I used to order some unusual stuff. I recall ordering the emi-electrola complete recording of Emmerich Kálmán's operetta,Gräfin Mariza;and the lady there (one of the Swales family,who owned it) telling my mother,she had been "wondering who'd ordered that"?! Living in a village,in the middle of nowhere,as they say,this would be the highlight of the 18 mile,weekend,shopping trip,with my mum and dad! Postal Orders and mail order in between! :)

And now,what am I listening to?! Oh dear! Nothing,at the moment!! :o
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #1078 on: February 04, 2021, 06:17:38 pm »

I have been listening to Sargent's 1930 recording of Coleridge-Taylor's Death of Minnehaha. Thanks to Albion for placing it in the downloads section. Considering its age, it comes up remarkably well. There are a few cuts to some of the orchestral linking passages which, I guess, were necessary to get the piece onto eight sides of shellac.

There are those who, while acknowledging Coleridge-Taylor's originality and inspiration in Hiawatha's Wedding Feast, the first cantata of the trilogy, dismiss the Death of Minnehaha and the third part, Hiawatha's Departure, as greatly inferior efforts, churned out just as money spinners. I have to say that this astonishes me. Yes, Onaway, Awake Beloved from the Wedding Feast has to be one of the great outpourings of emotion in the English tenor repertoire. It's no less than a work of genius and it never fails to have me piping my eye (especially when sung by the glorious Richard Lewis in Sargent's 1962 recording). But anyone who can sit through the Death of Minnehaha without a sniffle or shivers running down their spine must have a heart of stone. Almost every page of it paints heart-rending emotions and images that -- I admit it unashamedly -- leave me completely wrung out. Give me Coleridge-Taylor rather than any amount of over-blown verismo opera any day!     
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 05, 2021, 12:43:37 am »

Braving Rawsthorne's Symphonic Studies,at the midnight hour! The old Lyrita recording,again! I've got Constant Lambert's in the pile. I'm not sure if that isn't the finest,really. Lambert was a very good conductor.

Quite allot of posts about The Golden Disc,on the internet. Accoring to one site,"an independent record shop offering more esoteric sounds than the usual mainstream tat". Now what would that be?!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: