The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:02:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96674 times)
guest377
« Reply #1050 on: February 20, 2019, 01:39:49 pm »

the Klassika raadio - 10 2 CD set.. includes a classical CD and Fok/Jazz from Estonian Radio...
Dear Mr Hibbard
Please could you give more details about it? Symphonies,Cantatas,Chamber and Choral music?
TIA

yes it a now discontinued 2 CD set called Estonian Classical folk and jazz favorites... issued by EER  ERCD051/052   if you google it you can see it.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #1051 on: February 24, 2019, 10:23:33 pm »

I have a bunch I got this week from Amazon and HD Direct

Moyzes symphony series on Naxos,
Florence Price Sym 1&4  on Naxos; 

I got the Lyatoshynsky Sym no 3 (Chandos) .. so I'll give it a listen 

Armas Jarnefelt Song of the Scarlet Flower on Ondine, 
Silvestrov's Touching the Memory on Brillant label, 
Jarnefelt: Orchestral Works on BIS,

and finally Michael Haydn Sym 11,12,15,16 on CPO

one thing that makes me mad, is that I'll order a brand new CD still in the wrapping, and the front is either cracked or the hinge is broken....even before I can open the celephane wrap....:(

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1052 on: March 17, 2019, 03:56:27 pm »

I derive a real buzz from opening a box of newly delivered cds ;D

Today's consignment contains:

Sir Michael Tippett's Symphony in B flat and Symphonies Nos. 3 and 4 from Hyperion (I don't happen to like the Third and Fourth Symphonies but I wanted to hear the early symphony again)
Ralph Vaughan Williams assorted works from Dutton including Martin Yates's orchestration of "The Blue Bird" and David Matthews's Norfolk March.
Knudage Riisager's Violin Concerto (and the Etudes) from Dacapo.
and a rather odd combination cd from Orfeo with Lovro von Matacic conducting Haydn's Symphony No.103, Schubert's Unfinished (which Orfeo bill as No.7 rather than No.8) and Gottfried von Einem's Bruckner Dialog. It is perhaps no great surprise that I bought ths disc for the von Einem ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: April 13, 2019, 01:56:53 pm »

Arnold on Brass (Conifer).I'm not usually that mad about Brass band music;but this one is great!! Although,the last track (The Padstow Lifeboat) began skipping last night! :( Some light scratches visible. After a clean;I'm hoping it will work! The way the band get all the sonorities,humour and atmosphere of Arnold's music is quite brilliant and fun! Arnold conducts the last track,with the "insistent offkey foghorn (based on the real one at Trevose in Cornwall" (Quote from Gramophone review,which describes it as a stunning aural experience"!) I love the jolly artwork too! Perhaps I should add some more Brass Band music to my collection?! Oh,and I'll have to hear his Symphony for Brass Instruments,won't I?

And.......YES,it played all the way,through! :) Some of the playing is quite thrilling! I love the whistling on one of the tracks! Superb! I wish my mother was still alive to hear this one. She liked Arnold. I remember my parents sitting down to watch a program about him,on BBC2,back in the eighties (or nineties?) expecting some jolly looking man;and being confronted,by,a close up,of this miserable,embittered face,wailing about the disdain of the musical establishment towards his achievement! Of course,my mother knew his music from the jollier,more upbeat works.

Holbrooke next!! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: April 13, 2019, 11:09:42 pm »

Arnold on Brass (Conifer).I'm not usually that mad about Brass band music;but this one is great!! Although,the last track (The Padstow Lifeboat) began skipping last night! :( Some light scratches visible. After a clean;I'm hoping it will work! The way the band get all the sonorities,humour and atmosphere of Arnold's music is quite brilliant and fun! Arnold conducts the last track,with the "insistent offkey foghorn (based on the real one at Trevose in Cornwall" (Quote from Gramophone review,which describes it as a stunning aural experience"!) I love the jolly artwork too! Perhaps I should add some more Brass Band music to my collection?! Oh,and I'll have to hear his Symphony for Brass Instruments,won't I?

And.......YES,it played all the way,through! :) Some of the playing is quite thrilling! I love the whistling on one of the tracks! Superb! I wish my mother was still alive to hear this one. She liked Arnold. I remember my parents sitting down to watch a program about him,on BBC2,back in the eighties (or nineties?) expecting some jolly looking man;and being confronted,by,a close up,of this miserable,embittered face,wailing about the disdain of the musical establishment towards his achievement! Of course,my mother knew his music from the jollier,more upbeat works.

Holbrooke next!! :)
Dear cilgwyn
Don't you think that Arnold's dance are highly enyojable? Particularly English and Scottish set.
Best
Report Spam   Logged
guest704
« Reply #1055 on: July 30, 2019, 08:18:06 pm »

Gerhard - Symphony No. 1: It's actually his 2nd symphony (the first one being the Symphony Homage to Pedrell ). A super interesting piece, Stravinskian with some Schonberg/Berg influences but highly approachable. There are many striking ideas, especially outstanding in the harmony and orchestration. The 2nd movement was the highlight: a bizarre nocturne of sorts with accurate effects.
Report Spam   Logged
San Antone
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: November 15, 2019, 03:54:11 am »

Bach : 6 Solo Sonatas & Partitas for Violin
Viktoria Mullova
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #1057 on: December 11, 2019, 02:11:02 am »

I've got the 5 CD set on player... called  Finland 100  A century of Finnish Classics  5 CD set on Ondine
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #1058 on: December 11, 2019, 02:13:09 am »

Uploading Zolotarev's Symphony no 1 into Sibelius.... painful and pleasant use of time
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #1059 on: December 11, 2019, 02:36:34 am »

Uploading Zolotarev's Symphony no 1 into Sibelius.... painful and pleasant use of time

also have Abeliovich Sym #4 , Bogatyriov's Sym #1 and Abeliovich's Sym #3 (which I believe is on youtube now).
Report Spam   Logged
guest264
« Reply #1060 on: December 11, 2019, 08:08:39 am »

Would love to hear Abeliovich symphony no. 4
Robert
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: December 11, 2019, 07:04:46 pm »

Ruth Gipps
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #1062 on: December 12, 2019, 04:15:32 am »

Robert

me too.  Its only 132 pages and consists of 3 movements.  Interesting in that one of the instruments is a bongo  (bonghi).   Also the piano has a dominate role in the 2nd and 3rd movement.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #1063 on: February 16, 2020, 07:24:46 pm »

today it has been Nancy Dalberg Capriccio for Orchestra, etc  on the dacapo label.   This month dacapo has been honoring female composers. 
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #1064 on: February 16, 2020, 07:39:54 pm »

Robert

me too.  Its only 132 pages and consists of 3 movements.  Interesting in that one of the instruments is a bongo  (bonghi).   Also the piano has a dominate role in the 2nd and 3rd movement.

I have started the import into Sibelius software to hear what the symphony sounds like.   AFAIK  it has never been recorded or even performed.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: