The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:12:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96655 times)
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: February 08, 2019, 11:20:35 pm »

Very glad to hear it. As you know, I have long heen an advocate.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: February 09, 2019, 02:23:55 am »

most of Coke's chamber music has survived (unlike,allot of his other music). Is there any chance that any more of it will receive recordings? Unsurprisingly,I'd love to hear the Violin Sonata No 2,for example!

I am doing my best. Two things you could do to help: (i) Write to Simon Callaghan (the pianist) saying how much you like Coke's chamber/solo piano music and asking for more; writ to Simon Perry at Hyperion Records urging him to record some of Coke's chamber music with Callaghan, especially the "Elegiac" Trio (which Simon performed with violinist Jamie Campbell and 'cellist Karel Bredenhorst) at a concert I organised last year at St Paul's Church, Knightsbridge (it was very well received), perhaps coupled with the late Trio (and the only other extant trio by Coke) for piano, flute and viola, known as "The Ortina"; (ii)  write to Rupert Marshall-Luck at The English Music Festival and ask him to look at the 2nd Violin Sonata. If you do, I will follow up on that.
I must apologise,for missing your earlier post. Yes,quite! While I was listening to the concertos I looked up a few of the reviews;and,while I was reading an interview,with Simon Callaghan,somewhere (I forget where) I thought of leaving a reply in the comments bit,at the bottom. As you say,the more letters and feedback,the better. I really enjoyed listening to the Somm and Em recordings of his chamber & piano music,recently. I think it is of a very high quality. Regarding his concertos. I'm not really a big fan of romantic concertos,actually. Not that I don't like them. It's just that so many seem to have been churned out,in the latter part of the late nineteenth century (particularly) and early twentieth century;and there are the really great ones,good ones,that deserve a bit better than they get,and the formulaic ones,that tend to send me to sleep! And there are allot of them!! Listening again,to those of Coke,I'm starting to feel that it's the fact that they don't just rely on catchy tunes and flashy effects that is their real virtue. Also,the lack of reliance on formula. While some people complain of lack of developement and ideas petering out;I like the feeling that I don't know quite what to expect. Some of the music (the first movement of the third) brings to mind certain film scores of the golden age of Hollywood,but what's wrong with that? Allot of film music from that period is very good. Then you've got Rachmaninov and Scriabin thrown into the mix. But the influences just make it all the more intriguing,as far as I'm concerned. And,Coke seems to make something of his own out of it. You might find this strange,or annoying? But I actually starting thinking of Reger's Piano concerto at one point. Not because Coke sounds like Reger (He doesn't! ;D)  But,because Reger's concerto gets allot of stick,for it's apparent lack of tunes,and,the obvious comparisons (usually derogatory) with Brahms. Yet,love it,or hate it,the Reger deserves to be judged on it's own merits;and,imho,has a strange fascination of it's own. At least,if it "clicks" with you (if not?! ::) ;D)!! Anyway,as Alan might say,over at the other forum! I digress!! ::) ;D Yes,I'm going to have to consider writing some letters (or emails?!)! The more the merrier,as they say!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: February 09, 2019, 01:57:34 pm »

Wow! :o The things a drop of lager can do to the brain! Connecting Sacheverell Coke with Reger?!! But yes,imho (now! ;D) interesting and intriguing concertos. I think I'll have another listen,later. And yes,I will look at writing (ye olde,posted letter + sae) or emailing,the persons/labels,as you suggested.
Incidentally,the booklet,with the Hyperion cd,informs the reader,that an interview with Coke was conducted by the BBC,approximately,two years before his death. The answer may be in an earlier post,somewhere;but has this interview survived? Or has it vanished into the,proverbial,'ether'?! :( It would be very interesting to hear;or,at least,nice to know that it has survived.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: February 09, 2019, 07:55:14 pm »

The Hyperion cd of Coke's Piano concertos........again! No 3,at the moment!
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #1039 on: February 09, 2019, 09:47:13 pm »

today its Lutoslawski symphony cycle on Naxos label and Joseph Marx cycle that Naxos has started from the old ASV recordings.   Glad to see some of the old ASV recordings reincarnate to Naxos.!!
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: February 10, 2019, 01:16:48 am »

Today I've listened to Close Encounters of The Third Kind (a masterpiece), Ligeti's Atmospheres, and right now listening to Lyatoshynsky's Symphony No. 1.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1041 on: February 10, 2019, 05:40:28 pm »

The Scottish composer Thomas Wilson's Symphonies No.3 and 4 on Linn Records. This is most definitely my kind of music: serious and requiring concentrated listening, modern but accessible. The 3rd is the more enigmatic of the two with some Bartokian elements but a lot of scurrying string work and cross-rhythyms. The 4th is the more "accessible" and is really quite magnificent. The RSNO premiered all three works on the disc (the third is "Carillon" for orchestra) under Sir Alexander Gibson and Bryden Thomson but cannot have performed them for years (Wilson died in 2001). The young conductor, Rory Macdonald, is the son of a very good friend of mine and had to prepare the orchestra, rehearse and record in the space of the usual two days; not easy!
https://www.linnrecords.com/recording-thomas-wilson-symphonies-nos-3-4

Strongly recommended to anyone who has a taste for late 20th century British symphonies!
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: February 10, 2019, 06:10:31 pm »

The Scottish composer Thomas Wilson's Symphonies No.3 and 4 on Linn Records. This is most definitely my kind of music: serious and requiring concentrated listening, modern but accessible. The 3rd is the more enigmatic of the two with some Bartokian elements but a lot of scurrying string work and cross-rhythyms. The 4th is the more "accessible" and is really quite magnificent. The RSNO premiered all three works on the disc (the third is "Carillon" for orchestra) under Sir Alexander Gibson and Bryden Thomson but cannot have performed them for years (Wilson died in 2001). The young conductor, Rory Macdonald, is the son of a very good friend of mine and had to prepare the orchestra, rehearse and record in the space of the usual two days; not easy!

Strongly recommended to anyone who has a taste for late 20th century British symphonies!

It's on my buying agenda for my next jpc order later this month. Of course, we have broadcast recordings of the two symphonies in our archives, and I very much agree these are excellent pieces, in particular the Fourth. I like Wilson's music very much in general, other works I would strongly recommend are his Fifth Symphony (I hope a CD recording will appear some day as well!), his Violin Concerto or his "Incunabula" for Piano.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: February 11, 2019, 01:20:53 am »

The excerpts sound excellent!  I want to hear more...Thanks for calling it out! 
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #1044 on: February 11, 2019, 06:05:21 am »

the Klassika raadio - 10 2 CD set.. includes a classical CD and Fok/Jazz from Estonian Radio...
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1045 on: February 11, 2019, 09:04:52 am »

Replying to Holger, I think there was some thought of adding a recording of the Symphony No.5 and some other orchestral music but this has been put on ice- presumably the company would need finance (this cd has almost certainly had substantial private support). Rory's dad said to me recently: "How many people will buy the cd? You and me?".
Well...I hope a few more do so!!
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: February 11, 2019, 11:08:17 pm »

the Klassika raadio - 10 2 CD set.. includes a classical CD and Fok/Jazz from Estonian Radio...
Dear Mr Hibbard
Please could you give more details about it? Symphonies,Cantatas,Chamber and Choral music?
TIA
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: February 19, 2019, 05:38:51 pm »

Wow! :o The things a drop of lager can do to the brain! Connecting Sacheverell Coke with Reger?!!

REGER
ROGER Sacheverell Coke

There. not so hard!
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: February 20, 2019, 06:03:15 am »

Vinicius Grefiens - Şase imagini pentru orchestră (Orchestra Filarmonicii din Arad, dirijor Nicolae Boboc)

From Romanian Radio
Vinicius Grefiens
- composer and professor -
(born 27.11.1916 Amărăştii de Jos - Dolj - m. 07.07.2000 Bucharest)   

He studied music at the Conservatory of Bucharest (1936-1944) with Ioan D. Chirescu (theory-solfegiu), Mihail Jora (harmony, contrapunct, fugue, composition and orchestration), Dimitrie Cuclin (aesthetics and musical forms) Brăiloiu (music history, folklore), Ionel Perlea (conducting orchestra), Stefan Popescu (conducting cor), Ion Ghiga (score reading), Paul Jelescu (piano) and Vasile Filip (violin). He obtained his degree from the Faculty of Law in Bucharest (1945).

Professor of musical theory and piano at the Military Music School in Bucharest (1941-1942), music editor at the Romanian Radio Broadcasting Company (1942-1944, 1947-1950), music teacher at various high schools in Bucharest (1945-1951), assistant ( 1951-1957), lecturer (1957-1962), lecturer (1962-1972) and professor (1972-1981) at the reading department at the Conservatory in Bucharest. He wrote articles, reviews and studies in "Music", "Literary Romania", etc. He held conferences, lectures, concerts, lessons, communications, radio and television broadcasts. He was part of the national jury of musical competitions. He performed instrumental transcripts on classical works (JS Bach). He was awarded the Composers Union Awards (1972, 1979, 1996 - Grand Prize) and the Second Prize at the International Choral Music Contest in Tour, France (1976).

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: February 20, 2019, 11:47:27 am »

Wow! :o The things a drop of lager can do to the brain! Connecting Sacheverell Coke with Reger?!!

REGER
ROGER Sacheverell Coke

There. not so hard!
;D Yes! ::) ;D And you probably start thinking you are listening to Reger (not Roger!).........or,the other way around?!! :-\ ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: