The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:43:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96731 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1020 on: December 29, 2018, 09:06:32 pm »

I hesitate to use the word "masterpiece"(any longer ;D) about a piece of previously unknown music because what I probably really mean is that it is music which presses all the right buttons for me........

...BUT I am simply bowled over by Arnold Rosner's Symphony No.6 on a new Toccata cd. It is a work of extraordinary dramatic power, frequently extremely violent and angry music ("volcanic ferocity and vehemence" as Toccata describes it) but also of hieratic grandeur and magnificent, dignified eloquence. To my ears the work far exceeds Rosner's youthful hero, Alan Hovhaness. Alongside the swirling waves of exciting and shocking power there is a glorious, modal beauty which makes this Rosner's magnum opus....in my opinion at least.

I know that Rosner and his great friend and advocate, the musicologist Walter Simmons (who was the executive producer of the cd) hoped that one day the symphony would be recorded and, although the composer is now sadly deceased, Toccata has done him proud.

The Nocturne for orchestra-which is also on the cd-is a short but equally spell-binding piece....but the symphony! Wow!!

(and yes, I know, Toccata-for whatever reasons-lets one listen to the music in its entirety on their own website 8) The opening bars of the finale will give you a fair idea of the soundworld,)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1021 on: December 31, 2018, 02:37:44 pm »

I forwarded my comments on the Rosner cd to Walter Simmons for his interest.

Walter has replied to say that he in turn sent what I wrote to Rosner's sister who apparently is "deeply moved" by them.

I do think that in this time when we can communicate with others across the world so easily it is worth taking a few minutes to thank those whose work as composers or performers or as facilitators have made it possible for us to enjoy particular music. They appreciate this so much and are so grateful for the thanks offered.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 20, 2019, 04:51:02 pm »

I was listening to the Somm cd of Roger Sacheverell Coke's Piano music,all morning. I wasn't convinced by his Piano Concertos,sadly! :( (More fool me,I suppose?!!) But I think his solo piano music is excellent. I really enjoyed listening to it. I think it is well crafted,imaginative music. I also remember enjoying his Violin Sonata No1,on the EM label;which I have lined up,to listen to later.  Is there any hope of any more recordings,of his instrumental or (and) chamber music,I wonder?
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: January 20, 2019, 05:33:06 pm »

William Mathias Symphony No 3. I enjoyed the music on this,Nimbus,cd so much;I ended up buying the Lyrita cd,of the Harp,Clarinet & Piano concerto No 3 (which I did once,own!) and the Somm cd of Piano concertos 1 & 2,and the VW Fantasy for Piano and orchestra,this afternoon! More expense!! ::) :( ;D And there I was,determined to resist,any more cd's!! ::)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: January 20, 2019, 08:23:59 pm »

Roger Sacheverell Coke Violin Sonata No 1. Yes,I,must admit,wasn't exactly,bowled over by his Piano Concertos;but this is excellent music. According to the,truly,admirable,booklet notes (and I love the photographs) with this EM cd;most of Coke's chamber music has survived (unlike,allot of his other music). Is there any chance that any more of it will receive recordings? Unsurprisingly,I'd love to hear the Violin Sonata No 2,for example!
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #1025 on: January 20, 2019, 08:51:25 pm »

the Complete Piano Works of Chopin on the Naxos label.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: January 21, 2019, 11:56:28 am »

Nielsen symphonies conducted by Bernstein and Ormandy. From the Sony box set of the symphonies,and some other orchestral works. I actually hadn't heard the Flute and Clarinet Concertos,before!! I bought this set after reading a post,from Mirror Image,at the GMG Forum,extolling the qualities of Bernstein's recordings of Symphonies 3 & 4. I've never been that mad about Nielsen. Not that I didn't like his music! I just didn't return to him,that often! The exception was,the Fourth Symphony,which I got to know,as a youngster,via Alexander Gibson's recording,on an RCA Lp. A performance which is,apparently,still rated,very highly,by some. I had the Ole Schmidt cycle on Unicorn,for a long time. Some people like them;but they seem to have done little for me! After reading,MI's post,I looked for a copy of Bernstein's 3 & 5;but the prices sellers were asking,were too high for me. So,I bought this,4 cd set,instead! Needless,to say,I am now a complete convert to the Nielsen cause!! ;D :)
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: January 21, 2019, 09:50:31 pm »

Me, too on Nielsen, especially the love song in Symphony No. 3
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: February 05, 2019, 08:17:26 pm »

This morning I was listening to one of the great 9th symphonies ... Haydn's!

Seriously, when did you ever hear this in the concert hall? I have an idea that fun concert would be a first half consisting of Haydn's 9th and Mozart's 9th, and then Beethoven's 9th after the interval.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: February 05, 2019, 11:13:44 pm »

most of Coke's chamber music has survived (unlike,allot of his other music). Is there any chance that any more of it will receive recordings? Unsurprisingly,I'd love to hear the Violin Sonata No 2,for example!

I am doing my best. Two things you could do to help: (i) Write to Simon Callaghan (the pianist) saying how much you like Coke's chamber/solo piano music and asking for more; writ to Simon Perry at Hyperion Records urging him to record some of Coke's chamber music with Callaghan, especially the "Elegiac" Trio (which Simon performed with violinist Jamie Campbell and 'cellist Karel Bredenhorst) at a concert I organised last year at St Paul's Church, Knightsbridge (it was very well received), perhaps coupled with the late Trio (and the only other extant trio by Coke) for piano, flute and viola, known as "The Ortina"; (ii)  write to Rupert Marshall-Luck at The English Music Festival and ask him to look at the 2nd Violin Sonata. If you do, I will follow up on that.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1030 on: February 06, 2019, 08:55:48 am »

I am not at home, I am in London working (which is why this is in haste), but if this piece is available to purchase on a Bridge cd then reposting it from You Tube is against the policy we have on this forum- a policy we clearly re-established and restated last year.

I have assumed that other works posted on here recently from You Tube are taken from radio broadcasts. If so then that is fine. This one however seems clearly to be on a commercial cd.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: February 06, 2019, 02:27:56 pm »

When people leave on the artwork from the CD cover, it's pretty obvious.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: February 06, 2019, 03:25:46 pm »

I am not at home, I am in London working (which is why this is in haste), but if this piece is available to purchase on a Bridge cd then reposting it from You Tube is against the policy we have on this forum- a policy we clearly re-established and restated last year.

I have assumed that other works posted on here recently from You Tube are taken from radio broadcasts. If so then that is fine. This one however seems clearly to be on a commercial cd.

I forgot, so I need to delete the post?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1033 on: February 06, 2019, 04:51:05 pm »

I forgot, so I need to delete the post?

If you would be so kind. Thank you for your co-operation!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: February 08, 2019, 09:54:41 pm »

The Hyperion cd of Piano concertos by Roger Sacheverell Coke. I think I'm,largely,on my own here;but I'm beginning to enjoy these concertos!!!! :o :o :o ;D :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: