The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:14:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96656 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: February 28, 2015, 05:13:28 pm »

I'm giving Shigeaki Saegusa's opera CHUSINGURA a listen.

I can't say I am enjoying it that much - but we need to persevere with things which don't immediately appeal.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #616 on: February 28, 2015, 07:24:57 pm »

on this Texas Independence Weekend...I'm discovering the Phono Suecia series... Rosenberg, Melchers, Skold, Erland Von Koch... nice collection of Swedish composers.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 28, 2015, 11:36:18 pm »

I'm giving Shigeaki Saegusa's opera CHUSINGURA a listen.

I can't say I am enjoying it that much - but we need to persevere with things which don't immediately appeal.

Saegusa's popularity in Japan is due mainly to this soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEvBRncjZ28&list=PLepcfO2UsnTsYdbkcuTEAJSyYepPyeP8q
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 01, 2015, 07:26:28 am »

Yes, exactly :(   The main fault with his opera is the abysmal comic-book libretto :(
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #619 on: March 01, 2015, 04:01:05 pm »

Found several pieces by Máximo Flügelman 1950-, (born Argentina, educated Switzerland, now I think in USA) on SoundCloud, enjoying them a lot.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #620 on: March 01, 2015, 04:58:52 pm »

Yes, exactly :(   The main fault with his opera is the abysmal comic-book libretto :(
I could hardly agree more - makes even Michael Tippett as librettist like da Ponte, Hofmannsthal and other luminaries of the profession all rolled into one (though somehow his remarkable shortcomings in this still don't manage to detract from the wonders of The Midsummer Marriage - at least for me...)
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 01, 2015, 07:20:06 pm »

still don't manage to detract from the wonders of The Midsummer Marriage - at least for me...

Or from King Priam - whose libretto is one of Tippett's more successful attempts, with a score that does the topic justice.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: March 01, 2015, 07:28:14 pm »

still don't manage to detract from the wonders of The Midsummer Marriage - at least for me...

Or from King Priam - whose libretto is one of Tippett's more successful attempts, with a score that does the topic justice.
It does indeed; I'm not especially fond of much of it, I have to admit, but it certainly works well. From that point onwards, it seems to have been downhill all the way in terms of his stage works, in terms both of libretti and music, yet certain other works still show that the sparks of magic had by no means eluded him altogether (fourth piano sonata, fourth symphony, last two quartets, triple concerto et al).

Anyway - Lekeu: Sonata for violin and piano - one of his last works. It's hard not to try to imagine how the composer might have developed had he survived beyond the age of 23. I'm not sure that he quite qualifies as an "obscure" composer but I do believe that his work, even today, remains less well known than it deserves to be...
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #623 on: March 02, 2015, 04:33:57 am »

Lekeu: Sonata for violin and piano - one of his last works. It's hard not to try to imagine how the composer might have developed had he survived beyond the age of 23. I'm not sure that he quite qualifies as an "obscure" composer but I do believe that his work, even today, remains less well known than it deserves to be...

We agree. There's something about the Belgians.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #624 on: March 02, 2015, 07:29:44 am »

Lekeu: Sonata for violin and piano - one of his last works. It's hard not to try to imagine how the composer might have developed had he survived beyond the age of 23. I'm not sure that he quite qualifies as an "obscure" composer but I do believe that his work, even today, remains less well known than it deserves to be...

We agree. There's something about the Belgians.
The Dutch would doubtless agree, but not quite in the sense that I take you to mean it here...
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 02, 2015, 07:09:45 pm »

The Dutch would doubtless agree, but not quite in the sense that I take you to mean it here...
Well. At least more than just something.  :)
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 17, 2015, 03:29:38 am »

Distinctive danish  flavor
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 17, 2015, 12:43:25 am »

I know of Vladimir Jurovski only bombastic Symphony n°4 (perhaps old Melodiya 's lp sound).IMHO this is a great improvement and i hope that Mikhail would record more of his father.There are echoes of Shostakovich and Kabalevsky but Jurovski had his own Language,i can't see connection with Brezhnev's Czech of 1968 also if undoubtedly Symphony has a somber tone and there are sardonic military marches.

Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 22, 2015, 01:52:49 pm »

Delightful
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #629 on: November 23, 2016, 06:54:18 pm »

thought we had started this a while back... oh well.. its the Holidays here in the US and I've got several recordings of Nystroem ready on the CD player with my new headphones.... :)    I have the BIS Malmo Symphony set and one from Swedish Society and Caprice and Musica Sveciae.....

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: