The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:19:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96773 times)
creative
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: December 22, 2014, 08:29:50 pm »

Christo,

Thank you for your interest.  I am proceeding slowly with these symphonies.  I only owned Symphony Four, which I really like.  So Far, I can tell you two is amazing...Now tackling three....But Roger interrupted me (with pleasure I might add) to "The Flying Dutchman", which I am on my third attempt to listen but keep getting interrupted.....

Robert
Report Spam   Logged
creative
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 22, 2014, 08:39:40 pm »

Christo

Regarding John Kinsella, I only own one disc a MP with Symphonies 3&4.  I very much like the third.....very easy tonal music.  Kind of reminds me of Sibelius....Please let me know how you feel about the others....

Robert
Report Spam   Logged
creative
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 25, 2014, 08:04:47 pm »

On this XMAS day

Norgard Symphony 3

Schmidt Symphony 4

Rubbra  Symphony 4

Holmboe Symhony 8

Peterson Symphony 7

Myaskovsky Symphony 21

Saariaho Graal Theatre,  Du Cristal

Robert
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 28, 2014, 09:19:57 am »

Christo

Regarding John Kinsella, I only own one disc a MP with Symphonies 3&4.  I very much like the third.....very easy tonal music.  Kind of reminds me of Sibelius....Please let me know how you feel about the others....

Robert

Great to learn! Yes, the Third, aptly named 'Joie de Vivre' because that's what it sounds like, is a great symphony and was a real 'discovery' fifteen years ago. But I hold the others in a similar high esteem, especially Nos. 6, 7, 9, 10 and also the Fourth on the same Marco Polo cd (darker and less "easy" than the Third perhaps, but that is because each of Kinsella's ten symphonies has something unique to say, though most are just as communicate as the Third.) If you have a chance, find the Irish composers cd with Nos. 6 and 7.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
creative
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 28, 2014, 05:52:44 pm »

Richard Wetz, Symphony 2
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 12, 2015, 11:52:11 am »

I am currently listening to Ferenc Erkel's (1810-1893) opera Bank Ban.  Sadly I had never heard anything of Erkel's until today - many claim that Bank Ban is the centrepiece of the Hungarian operatic repertoire.  Erkel was the Director of the Hungarian Academy of Music, when it was first established.

Sadly the performance on radio is poorly sung :((
Report Spam   Logged
creative
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 18, 2015, 02:13:01 am »

I am presently listening to an old favorite

Jack Gallagher The Persistence Of Memory
Betty Beath  Lagu Lagu Manis
Mary Mageau  The Furies

New Music for Orchestra
Vienna Music Masters...
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #607 on: January 19, 2015, 03:44:29 pm »

Enjoying having discovered Geghuni Chitchyan 1929-, Armenian woman composer on YouTube. Somewhat on light side, though Concerto for Voice and Orchestra and Violin Concerto very nice.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 22, 2015, 09:15:50 am »

Again: Kinsella, this time his Tenth Symphony (2010). A bit enigmatic, using a chamber orchestra with 'symphonic' aspirations, at the same time as genuinely 'Kinsella' as ever before.  ;)
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Christo
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 28, 2015, 08:28:39 pm »

Back to Holmboe once again, Symphonies Nos. 11, 12 and 13. I saw the score of the Thirteenth, soon to be dedicated to Orwain Orwell Hughes, on the piano on my visit to the Holmboes in early August, 1994.
Report Spam   Logged

chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 04, 2015, 12:58:40 am »

...any thoughts on the Sym #3 with Sten Frykberg conducting on BIS

Hi dhibbard. It is thanks to Mr Frykberg that we can hear this unpublished work, which strikes me as the best of Larsson's symphonies. Frykberg certainly has the measure of it, but the (live) performance is scrappy, the winds sometimes out of tune and the strings undernourished. As for the symphony itself, the first movement, in triple time, is clearly reminiscent of Nielsen's Espansiva, but it's the diction and rhetoric that stem from Nielsen, not the tunes themselves. The finale similarly sounds as though the composer has paid attention to Prokofiev's works of the previous decade -- though by no means slavishly so. The overall impression is of a well wrought work by an eclectic composer who definitely has something to say. Not quite as consistent a voice as, say, Dag Wiren. And nothing like the penetrating power of Vagn Holmboe and Eduard Tubin. But a fine musical companion.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #611 on: February 19, 2015, 04:27:59 pm »

after reading some of the recommendations about Skold I decided to get his Symphony No 2/Violin concerto on Amazon.    Its the Phono Suecia label.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 19, 2015, 08:13:25 pm »

I'm having another listen to THE KING GOES FORTH TO FRANCE.  I'd forgotten what a really fantastic opera this is :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #613 on: February 19, 2015, 08:17:16 pm »

...any thoughts on the Sym #3 with Sten Frykberg conducting on BIS

Hi dhibbard. It is thanks to Mr Frykberg that we can hear this unpublished work, which strikes me as the best of Larsson's symphonies. Frykberg certainly has the measure of it, but the (live) performance is scrappy, the winds sometimes out of tune and the strings undernourished. As for the symphony itself, the first movement, in triple time, is clearly reminiscent of Nielsen's Espansiva, but it's the diction and rhetoric that stem from Nielsen, not the tunes themselves. The finale similarly sounds as though the composer has paid attention to Prokofiev's works of the previous decade -- though by no means slavishly so. The overall impression is of a well wrought work by an eclectic composer who definitely has something to say. Not quite as consistent a voice as, say, Dag Wiren. And nothing like the penetrating power of Vagn Holmboe and Eduard Tubin. But a fine musical companion.

Thank you Chill319  yes I noticed that the recording was rather rough.. almost like a youth orchestra .....and the placement of the microphones were not optimal.   Oh well, better to have a recording than nothing at all. 
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 21, 2015, 11:08:27 pm »

He had a romantic "elan"IMHO his untimely Death was a real loss

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: