The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:53:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96678 times)
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: September 03, 2014, 04:58:52 pm »

Gustav Mahler's "Auferstehung" (Symphony No. 2).

When I was much younger I bought a double lp of this symphony, with Maurice Abravanel conducting. Since then I still think this is one of Mahler's most beautiful symphonies.
Very much so when I listen to the glorious performance of The Concertgebouw Orchestra, with Maris Jansons.
Maestro Jansons knows exactly how to use this orchestra. 

Here is that one on YT:   

Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 04, 2014, 06:09:38 am »

Very gifted and fascinating composer.
Perhaps best known for his film music, but he is much deeper than that.
Listening to clips from here:
http://www.gerard-schurmann.com/
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 18, 2014, 02:27:51 pm »

Like for Abu Bakr Khairat  ,Germans Romantics would be delighted to find faithful followers in an exotic country

Untimely death of Maestro Mata was a serious blow for Texas musical life
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #573 on: September 18, 2014, 07:29:38 pm »

Some Dallas Symphony Orchestra history:

Mata opened the Meyerson Symphony Center 24 years ago. At that time, he selected Mahler's Symphony No. 2 as one of the pieces to inaugurate the concert hall.

Mata died in a tragic plane crash in 1995.

Musical Director Jaap Van Zweden, the orchestra, and the DSO Chorus paid tribute to Mata by again performing Mahler's Symphony No. 2 ( in 2010)

Eduardo Mata was honored with a plaque inside the lobby of The Meyerson dedicated to his tenure as Music Director of the DSO from 1977 to 1993.

(hard to believe that the DSO shut down in the 1970s for lack of funding and poor ticket sales)
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 20, 2014, 10:55:42 am »

Well I had been listening to Alessandro Nini's opera La marescialla d'Ancre on internet radio - but I had to turn it off.

The music is rather interesting - early Romantic. But the performance was so atrocious, that I couldn't stand it any longer :((  I have no idea where they got the chorus from, but they single-handedly wrecked the performance.  The lead tenors were exactly a semitone flat at the end of the number where I parted company with this recording :(  And f' is really not a high note for tenors ;)
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 20, 2014, 07:45:46 pm »

However, I am now thoroughly enjoying another completely dotty bel canto piece - Emilio Arrieta's  La Conquista di Granata. The music is, frankly, quite slight...  but when magnificently sung, energetically played, and creatively conducted, it comes to life :)
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 21, 2014, 05:50:33 pm »

And today my opera listening is headed for the Baltic shores, with Aarre Merikanto's 'Juha'.

Which, on first listening, seems like rather undigested Puccini...  (including the well-worn "vocal melody doubled in octaves with pizzicato basses, and harmony wodges in the middle on off-beats" approach)...

... but very pleasant, for all that.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #577 on: September 23, 2014, 03:33:38 pm »

And today my opera listening is headed for the Baltic shores, with Aarre Merikanto's 'Juha'.

Which, on first listening, seems like rather undigested Puccini...  (including the well-worn "vocal melody doubled in octaves with pizzicato basses, and harmony wodges in the middle on off-beats" approach)...

... but very pleasant, for all that.

yes very nice.... recently discovered all of Aarre Merikanto's works...   just got Eespere's Respectus CD yesterday.. brand new material by Rene Eespere on the ERP label... think it was released in August 2014...  picked it up in Tallinn at the local CD shop.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #578 on: September 29, 2014, 05:27:59 am »

http://www.rahvaraamat.ee/p/vanemuise-s%C3%BCmfooniaorkester-villem-kapp-ja-artur-kapp-cd/9836/et?ean=4740447311890

A wonderful rendition of Villem Kapp's Symphony no 2 and Artur Kapps' Fantasy on theme B-A-C-H  with  Vanemuine Symphony Orchestra...  the sound is deeper and richer sounding than the Neeme Jarvi version on Chandos...
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 01, 2014, 08:08:36 am »

Now this was a real FIND for me!  Outstanding music!!

Louis Théodore Gouvy - Iphigénie en Tauride

[edit]
Although it goes on for an inordinate length of time.... 
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 25, 2014, 10:01:43 pm »

Moniuszko's HALKA!!   What a desperately under-rated piece!!  It really belongs up there with TRAVIATA and ONEGIN  :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #581 on: October 26, 2014, 07:14:53 am »

Jaan Raats Marginalia CD with Kalle Randalu on piano (new release on ERP) Choral works by Rudolf Tobias (Ondine ..Vivit!)... finally Arvo Part's "Our Garden" for childrens choir and symphony.... actually one of his best works (on Virgin Classics with Paavo Jarvi)
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 26, 2014, 09:14:38 am »

The other day I felt the urge to revisit the Dvorak symphonies in the recordings Kertesz did for Decca (I remember the fine LP sleeves) and I was sure they would be available on CD. So I went into town to look for them, and sure enough, boxed at £40. But when I looked at the box, I found the CD breaks were all over the place, with few of the symphonies playable without switching discs. So I had a bright idea. I went home and checked Spotify - they are all there, and Spotify will play across the breaks. I found a lead that will connect my new laptop to the hi-fi, and away I go.

It reinforces my belief that Dvorak was a really clever symphonist, better than he is usually given credit for. It's a similar pattern to many well-known composers, that they are known for some works, and others are obscure as anything. In Dvorak's case, the last three symphonies are regularly played, the 6th occasionally, and the rest never. I discovered yesterday that I have never in my life heard No 4 before, which shows how often that is played.
Report Spam   Logged
albert
Level 3

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 26, 2014, 10:41:10 am »

I am listening to Hakon Jarl by Smetana as in the next days I will attend a live concert featuring it (Jakub Hrusa conductor).
I am listening the versions by Kubelik, Noseda and Kuchar. On the occasion I am listening also the other two "Swedish" Symphonic poems by Smetana , Richard III (a performance of which by Noseda and BBC Phil. once I attended live) and The Camp of Wallenstein: very fine music, rather unduly neglected.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 28, 2014, 11:12:36 am »

It reinforces my belief that Dvorak was a really clever symphonist, better than he is usually given credit for. It's a similar pattern to many well-known composers, that they are known for some works, and others are obscure as anything.

Indeed, a magnificent symphonist.  I have a soft spot for No 2.  It's the neglect of Dvorak's symphonies (finely crafted, beautifully orchestrated, tersely argued, and full of melodic invention) that causes my dismay over the blind admiration for others - merely because those others were born in Austria :(
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: