The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:53:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97142 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: July 29, 2014, 09:38:49 pm »

Thanks for the recommendation Roger, I like it too.

Glad you liked it..there is more of Asenjo on utube and here:
http://www.albanyrecords.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=84a1efa3b4ffc8c9b4bb14a51e824095&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AR&Product_Code=TROY822&Category_Code=a-NR

Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 30, 2014, 03:11:08 pm »

Yep, very pleasant listening, thank you, Mr. JR - Naxos Music Library has 4 of the Albany discs.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 30, 2014, 11:45:22 pm »

Wilhelm Killmayer's Hölderlin Lieder.

I'm listening to the version for voice with orchestra. To be exact the first Zyklus. The use of the orchestra is absolutely splendid.
I also listened as a comparison to the version with piano. Here also the voice with the texts are the stars. The piano is backing up. Surprisingly the same happens in the orchestral version!

NDR Radiophilharmonie
Peter Schreier (tenor)
Berhard Klee (conductor)
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 31, 2014, 08:02:46 am »

Erkki Melartin....  the 6 Symphonies on Ondine.......  Tampere Philharmonic Orchestra 

Did the same, during the past half year, and appreciatie them a lot. What is your favourite so far?  :)
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 31, 2014, 10:42:43 am »

I'm listening to the version for voice with orchestra. To be exact the first Zyklus. The use of the orchestra is absolutely splendid.
I also listened as a comparison to the version with piano. Here also the voice with the texts are the stars. The piano is backing up. Surprisingly the same happens in the orchestral version!

NDR Radiophilharmonie
Peter Schreier (tenor)
Berhard Klee (conductor)

Very acceptable, Mr. E ! Are you listening on 'classical-music-online' ?

For anyone unaware, this resource has a significant amount of Killmayer's work available(+ many hundreds of other composers !).
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest377
« Reply #545 on: August 01, 2014, 06:02:22 am »

Erkki Melartin....  the 6 Symphonies on Ondine.......  Tampere Philharmonic Orchestra 

Did the same, during the past half year, and appreciatie them a lot. What is your favourite so far?  :)

I'll let you know in a week or two.... got sidetracked listening to Klami's symphonies.....

I enjoyed just walking into Ondine's headquarters retail shop in downtown Helsinki and purchasing some CDs....reminds me of the old Tower Record days.....
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 01, 2014, 10:22:43 am »

NDR Radiophilharmonie
Peter Schreier (tenor)
Berhard Klee (conductor)

Very acceptable, Mr. E ! Are you listening on 'classical-music-online' ?

For anyone unaware, this resource has a significant amount of Killmayer's work available(+ many hundreds of other composers !).

Mr Clive,

Indeed, I listened to it on Classical Music Online, and decided to download the files of the orchestral version. The piano version was already in my collection, from a broadcast by the Bavarian Radio, quite a few years ago. After listening to both versions, I can not decide which one is my favourite. This orchestral version does not overpower the singing voice.

Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 01, 2014, 11:19:11 am »

After listening to both versions, I can not decide which one is my favourite. This orchestral version does not overpower the singing voice.

No, it doesn't - so, for me, the orchestral version will always win; the bigger picture, eh....actually, just means I'm too stupid to appreciate the subtleties of piano-only accompaniment !

Anyway - current listening ! Came across the chance to get hold of a good collection of work by Erland von Koch, & working my way through some of the concerti, for guitar, oboe, saxophone & tuba. Very melodic, delightful compositions. 
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
shamus
« Reply #548 on: August 01, 2014, 02:18:15 pm »

Rowland Lee's Requiem, which I am loving, thank you Clive. Jim
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 01, 2014, 06:27:07 pm »

Anyway - current listening ! Came across the chance to get hold of a good collection of work by Erland von Koch, & working my way through some of the concerti, for guitar, oboe, saxophone & tuba. Very melodic, delightful compositions. 

Oh, where? I can't get enough of his music.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 01, 2014, 07:06:29 pm »

Rowland Lee's Requiem, which I am loving, thank you Clive. Jim

What? Somebody likes it ? Well I'm blowed...and happy to help, Mr. Jim.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 02, 2014, 11:42:44 pm »

Oh, where? I can't get enough of his music.

Same here..
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 07, 2014, 02:38:05 pm »

Currently enjoying this cd,which arrived today. The cd has been deleted by Chandos,although it is available as a download.I managed to buy an inexpensive one from a seller on Amazon. The only other copy was being advertised at around £150,or thereabouts!! Lovely,lyrical,beautiful music,all of it,and with an admirable economy of expression. Not a note too long! And,I might add,wonderful performances! Like the two Lyrita cds it is hard to see why this beautifully written music is so neglected by the cd labels and,with the exception of one or two of her most popular compositions,here in Wales,of all places! :(

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 07, 2014, 04:08:06 pm »

I notice the £150 ish pound copy (of Grace Williams 'The Dancer' cd) is gone from the Amazon listing! Does this mean someone actually paid that much?!! :o Of course,perhaps the seller just removed the copy! Mine was a couple of pounds! They could have saved a few bob! Described as in "Good condition",I would describe it as "Very good". A few minor marks on the cd itself,aside!
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 07, 2014, 05:33:22 pm »

I notice the £150 ish pound copy (of Grace Williams 'The Dancer' cd) is gone from the Amazon listing! Does this mean someone actually paid that much?!! :o Of course,perhaps the seller just removed the copy! Mine was a couple of pounds! They could have saved a few bob! Described as in "Good condition",I would describe it as "Very good". A few minor marks on the cd itself,aside!

Thank you - will be searching for a chance to hear this !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: