The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:09:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96666 times)
guest377
« Reply #525 on: July 13, 2014, 12:10:27 am »

Klami... finnish composer... several of his CDs on BIS/Ondine and Alba
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 13, 2014, 06:43:53 pm »

Like so many Finnish (& Baltic, & Russian) composers, a delight. Just acquired his oratorio/cantata Psalmus. Do try it !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest377
« Reply #527 on: July 14, 2014, 03:04:21 pm »

Like so many Finnish (& Baltic, & Russian) composers, a delight. Just acquired his oratorio/cantata Psalmus. Do try it !

OK  actually that is on my Amazon wish list... think I'll move it into my cart.   Looks like its only available as a used CD.

Just saw Rene Eespere's Glorificatio....a live performance here in Tallinn.... I have to find that recording.  The Finnish and Estonian's have wonderful choirs.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 14, 2014, 10:53:26 pm »

Klami is a fine composer, based on what I have heard. He writes very simple attractive neoclassical music, albeit sometimes understated and slow to develop. I've heard him described as a Nordic hybrid of Ravel and Stravinsky. This article contain some fine descriptions of Klami and his major works.

http://composers.musicfinland.fi/musicfinland/fimic.nsf/0/959EFA5ACAD7B4ACC2257535003F49CE?opendocument
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 15, 2014, 10:29:21 pm »

I'm listening now to the Symphony in b by the other Schumann, Georg.
The works is from 1887 and should be played on many stages.
And than I go to listen to his Oratorio Ruth. It's been a while I heard that one.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #530 on: July 15, 2014, 10:33:54 pm »

Klami is a fine composer, based on what I have heard. He writes very simple attractive neoclassical music, albeit sometimes understated and slow to develop. I've heard him described as a Nordic hybrid of Ravel and Stravinsky. This article contain some fine descriptions of Klami and his major works.

http://composers.musicfinland.fi/musicfinland/fimic.nsf/0/959EFA5ACAD7B4ACC2257535003F49CE?opendocument

thanks  I'll copy that over to the Klami section under Finnish composers.   I've read some of this commentary in the notes to the various CDs.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 22, 2014, 03:07:03 pm »

There's an excellent afternoon's listening of C20th expressionist opera on Swiss Classical Radio this afternoon.

I've just finished hearing Gottfried von Einem's Der Besuch der alten Dame ("The Visit Of The Old Lady"),  and the broadcast of Gerhard Rosenfeld's Kniefall in Warschau ("A Deep Bow in Warsaw") has just begun.

I've heard the Einem work before, and it's a very good piece of music-theatre.  The Rosenfeld piece is new material for me.

Listen in
Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 24, 2014, 03:52:46 am »

Decades old, but new to me: the dual ballet-pantomines 'Signorina Gioventu', op. 58, and 'Nikotina', op. 59, by Vitezslav Novak. The first is a passionate paean, the second a delightful drollery. Both works are clearly products of the 1920s, both possess an aesthetic sophistication one might not expect from the Novak who wrote 'The Storm' and 'Pan', often considered the high points of his art. The ballet-pantomimes were intended as a double bill and they work wonderfully in tandem.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 24, 2014, 12:37:50 pm »

Decades old, but new to me: the dual ballet-pantomines 'Signorina Gioventu', op. 58, and 'Nikotina', op. 59, by Vitezslav Novak. The first is a passionate paean, the second a delightful drollery. Both works are clearly products of the 1920s, both possess an aesthetic sophistication one might not expect from the Novak who wrote 'The Storm' and 'Pan', often considered the high points of his art. The ballet-pantomimes were intended as a double bill and they work wonderfully in tandem.

Ah, thank you - quite good on Novak's symphonic/tone poems, but ignorant of the ballets. Will be trying to find them !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
shamus
« Reply #534 on: July 24, 2014, 05:59:28 pm »

Doreen Carwithen's Piano Concerto and film music. Great stuff to me!
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 24, 2014, 07:44:24 pm »

Doreen Carwithen's Piano Concerto and film music. Great stuff to me!

British piano concertos are always among my favourites, and Carwithen's is one of the most impressive!
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #536 on: July 27, 2014, 12:13:34 am »

Erkki Melartin....  the 6 Symphonies on Ondine.......  Tampere Philharmonic Orchestra 
Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 27, 2014, 05:48:44 pm »

Ah, Melartin/Grin, the set that introduced most of us to these wonderful symphonies, which really deserve to be represented by recordings that eschew ill-advised cuts.

Klami... very tempting!

Re Novak's ballets -- the ballet-pantomime is a Czech version of the sort of ballet we associate with French Baroque opera -- but with lots of folk admixture and generally broad humor. Before Novak it wasn't considered a candidate for art music. Since him, it has been. The recordings and performances on the Supraphon discs demonstrate splendid technique and spirit. I bought these superb discs (gently) used, which made them affordable.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 27, 2014, 08:27:03 pm »

Despite lukewarm reviews for this recently deceased unique composer, this symphony really floats my boat.

Asenjo,Florencio - Symphony for Strings (1948)
Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra  Orchestra,Kirk Trevor 

obituary here and worth a read..
http://www.utimes.pitt.edu/?p=26442
Report Spam   Logged
guest2
« Reply #539 on: July 28, 2014, 06:07:27 am »

Thanks for the recommendation Roger, I like it too.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: