The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:46:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96878 times)
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 21, 2014, 07:56:17 pm »

Concert from recent purchases :

Otaka - Fantasy for organ & orchestra
Mlyarnski - Violin Concerto
Chinese collaboration - Little Sisters of the Grassland Pipa Concerto
Searle - Symphony no. 3
Saxton - I will awake the Dawn
Hanson - Symphony no. 4 'Requiem'
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 25, 2014, 07:15:48 pm »

A T for Tuesday concert (actually going to cheat & make it a TU programme !):

Tabakova - Dawn
Ulianich - The Bells of the Soul
Tal - Symphony no. 4 'Jubilee'
Usmanbas - Concert Aria for Harp & Strings
Teml - Organ Concerto
Tosar - Te Deum
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 26, 2014, 04:46:34 pm »

Raining - so a WED concert for Wednesday:

Westlake - Bass Clarinet Concerto
Enna - Fairy Tale Symphonic Pictures
Dubra - Missa de Spiritu Sancto
Wolf-Ferrari - English Horn Concertino
Eklund - Symphony no. 5
Dambis - Concerto-Fantasia (in the name of Albrecht Durer) for choir, piano & percussion.

Report Spam   Logged

Clive
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 26, 2014, 05:27:29 pm »

Vincent d'indy for the last two to three days,with a small break for Violin sonatas by Enescu & the Nonet & La Revue de Cuisine (etc)by Martinu,which arrived by post,so I had to check them out and,need I add,enjoyed!
I loved all the D'indy cds. I think he's a very fine composer,with a very individual sound world. (I find the unflattering comparisons with Debussy and Ravel made by some critics rather mean!) His orchestral seascapes are particularly evocative. The Second Symphony,deservedly,imo,gets some attention on various forums;but I would also like to plug his third symphony,which tends to be overlooked. A quirky,imaginative score with nice humorous touches.The Chandos recording is excellent;but I still have some affection for the older Auvidis Valois recording,which has a nice (blue coloured!) photo of him on the front!
But I have enjoyed everything!

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 27, 2014, 04:21:35 pm »

I 'm currently listening to the following cds,which I received through the post today!

Ropartz: Symphony No 3 Plasson emi

Franz Schmidt: Symphony No 3 Rajter Opus

I was particularly pleased to acquire the Plasson Ropartz cd,as I've been trying to get it for a long time & the sellers on Amazon always seemed to be asking huge prices,or at least too much for my budget. I got this for under a tenner & it's the first release issue of the cd too! So,thank you to that German seller! :) (I see they've still got it listed. So,presumably they had more than one to sell?!! Best to check stock  first,if anyone else is looking!)
What  marvellous,invigorating,upifting music. I had heard the Plasson performance had the edge on the recent Timpani recording,so good for them,but I decided to wait! I now have this recording & all the Timpani symphony recordings (minus their third).

Having just bought the Decca Eloquence reissue of Schmidt's Piano Quintet in G major (coupled with Bruckner's String Quintet) I decided to 'throw the boat out' a little further & get the Rajter recording of his third symphony. I have heard allot of good things about his Schmidt recordings & there is a particularly persuasive review of his recording of the third on Amazon. And as if that isn't enough,to cap it all,he was,as most people here will know,a pupil of the man himself!! Now,I really do like this symphony very much.........but,nevertheless,I have had a few reservations about the work. Not that,as a non-musician,I could really put my finger on them;but they were there! My recordings were initially by Jarvi and then the (fairly) recent Sinaisky release. Well,I have now listened to the Rajter performance & I can say now,with a large degree of confidence,that Rajter's performance has finally laid all my reservations to rest. As I just pointed out,I am not a trained musician,but everything about this performance feels so right. The scherzo in particular,I have never heard it played like this before. In fact,I would go so far as to say,I don't think I could really listen to the other recordings now. Even to my untutored ears,they surely get this all wrong! And what lovely,clear,transparent sound. Quite a relief after the boomy acoustics of that Chandos recording. I feel I can hear single every detail. In fact,I have never been able to pick out so much detail,such is the clarity of this recording.
I know there are allot of admirers of these performances at the GMG! If the rest of Rajter's performances are as good as this one.......................... ......?!!!!!!!!

I would rush to buy all the other Rajter recordings now,if I could;but I've spent too much on cds (and some dvds) this month & if I can't pay the bills I probably won't be able to play my cds if I'm living in a cardboard box!!
Report Spam   Logged
guest164
« Reply #485 on: March 28, 2014, 02:35:29 am »

Currently on a Piano concerto kick. The opening salvo of which follows:

Ignacy Feliks Dobrzyński - Piano Concerto in A-flat major, Op.2 (1824)
Norbert Burgmüller - Piano Concerto in F-sharp minor, Op.1 (1829)
Józef Władysław Krogulski - Piano Concerto in E-major (1830)
Mihaly Mosonyi-Piano concerto e-minor (1844)
Johann Rufinatscha  Piano Concerto in G minor (1850)
Józef Wieniawski - Piano Concerto in G-minor, Op.20 (1858)
August Winding - Piano Concerto in A-minor, Op.16 (1868)
Hans Bronsart von Schellendorf - Piano Concerto, Op. 10 (1873)

Those interested in following the same path, need only turn to youtube and enjoy!
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 28, 2014, 02:28:02 pm »

Currently on a Piano concerto kick. The opening salvo of which follows:

Ignacy Feliks Dobrzyński - Piano Concerto in A-flat major, Op.2 (1824)
Norbert Burgmüller - Piano Concerto in F-sharp minor, Op.1 (1829)
Józef Władysław Krogulski - Piano Concerto in E-major (1830)
Mihaly Mosonyi-Piano concerto e-minor (1844)
Johann Rufinatscha  Piano Concerto in G minor (1850)
Józef Wieniawski - Piano Concerto in G-minor, Op.20 (1858)
August Winding - Piano Concerto in A-minor, Op.16 (1868)
Hans Bronsart von Schellendorf - Piano Concerto, Op. 10 (1873)

Those interested in following the same path, need only turn to youtube and enjoy!

Lovely bunch of 'unsungs' there, Sir ! Life's too short to get through all the PC's available on You Tube, so my sphere of interest generally starts a little later(though I've located Schellendorf & have it on now) - when you get to the 20th Century, I'll be happy to know what gems you unearth that I may well have missed !
Welcome to AMF !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest140
« Reply #487 on: March 28, 2014, 03:11:24 pm »

anyone else obsessive to violin concertos..?

Tobias
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 28, 2014, 07:11:20 pm »

listening to Bentzon symphonies again and trying to understand why he lacks a substantial following..
Symphony 8 in particular is a world class work.I see his best music as least equal to that os Tubin or Hindemith.
http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,558.msg19390.html#msg19390
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #489 on: March 28, 2014, 10:32:24 pm »

Gareth Farr's new piano concerto
Michael Hersch "Along the Ravine"
Williamson the display
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: March 29, 2014, 12:31:19 am »

listening to Bentzon symphonies again and trying to understand why he lacks a substantial following..
Symphony 8 in particular is a world class work.I see his best music as least equal to that os Tubin or Hindemith.

Arguably the finest Bentzon Symphonies date from his earlier period and some, at least have been recorded. The symphonies which most impressed me when I first heard them and which still strike me as masterpieces of the mid-20th century symphonic repertoire are Nos. 3 and 4 on Dacapo DCCD 9102 and 5 and 7 on Dacapo 8.224111-both conducted by the late Ole Schmidt. Bentzon,of course, wrote many, many more symphonies after these but if one was seeking to demonstrate the quality of inspiration and mastery of symphonic construction which the younger Bentzon could display then these are the works which I would encourage others to sample. Bentzon may not quite rival Vagn Holmboe as one of the very best of the post-Carl Nielsen Danish symphonists but his neglect is lamentable.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 29, 2014, 03:24:58 am »

The Decca D'oyly Carte G & S The Sorcerer & the Ohio Light Opera recording with dialogue (how dare those Americans do our British institution! :o >:( ;D) I think the Ohio performance is quite good,actually;but you do miss the characterful voices of the British lot! It is nice to have the dialogue though! I actually don't mind the odd American accent personally,as long as they can sing!!!!! The Ohio recordings DO seem to have improved of late and I actually really DID honestly think their recording of Ruddigore was very good! Their Princess Ida wasn't too bad either imho.......although it did have one spanner in the works...............that bloke from their recording of the 'The Arcadians'! With a bit of luck they've sacked him now!! Luckily,he only has one big solo on cd 2,so you don't get to hear him too much (apart from a duet!). The rest of the cast are pretty good,to be fair & let's face it,the Decca recording wasn't exactly one of their best! Ohio's Princess Ida,mind you,is very good and one reason to acquire the recording (other than the dialogue!) A pity those miseries at the BBC won't release their wonderful performance of Princess Ida on cd (praised on the G & S website). Still,we've got it here........so there!! :)
I'm going to have to bung on the BBC recording next. Thanks to the AMF I can listen to it! :)

I managed to tape (yes,you read that one right!) Sullivan's The Beauty Stone off Radio 3 a couple of weeks ago. Saved me a few quid!! ;D Albion was dead right about this one! I wish they'd do Haddon Hall now! It struck me that The Beauty Stone is a good one for people who think that G & S are a bit too light weight. If your kind of G & s goes as far as The Yeomen of the Guard this could be your cup of tea!!

I also received a s/h copy of the 1973 Decca D'oyly Carte Mikado a couple of days ago. Yes,I know the best one is supposed to be the 1957 recording (or even the 1926 one!). But this is the one I grew up with & the one that was always in the libraries,back then (c. late 70s/early 80s). Not having heard it for years I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. John Reed is unforgettable! I really don't think it's that bad,meeself!! ??? ;D But then again,I even like the Glyndebourne Mikado. Yes,it lacks humour,but the singing makes it for me! (And Owen Brannigan manages to be funny).
Talking about funny;the BBC recording of The Mikado (uploaded here) is very funny indeed in places! Proof (imho,as they say!) that the dialogue SHOULD have been included in the Decca recordings;although maybe not with Malcolm Sargent at the helm (although he didn't like it,anyway!) It would have been a laugh a minute with him in charge!!! (Next funniest Mikado,the 1926 recording,by the way!)

Okay,that's enough G & S for now!!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 29, 2014, 04:41:46 am »

Arguably the finest Bentzon Symphonies date from his earlier period and some, at least have been recorded. The symphonies which most impressed me when I first heard them and which still strike me as masterpieces of the mid-20th century symphonic repertoire are Nos. 3 and 4 on Dacapo DCCD 9102 and 5 and 7 on Dacapo 8.224111-both conducted by the late Ole Schmidt. Bentzon,of course, wrote many, many more symphonies after these but if one was seeking to demonstrate the quality of inspiration and mastery of symphonic construction which the younger Bentzon could display then these are the works which I would encourage others to sample. Bentzon may not quite rival Vagn Holmboe as one of the very best of the post-Carl Nielsen Danish symphonists but his neglect is lamentable.
Dundonnell,thanks for the overview.
Bentzon had over 700 opuses, which unfortunately may have dliuted the quality of his music and exposed more folks to his music of lesser quality.
Being prolific may have been a disadvantage, I will have to hear more of his later works to make that assessment. Some of his music is quite angular at times.
And I must pick up the Danachord CD's for 3,4,5,and 7 you mentioned, thanks again.

Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 29, 2014, 08:48:06 am »

Bentzon had over 700 opuses, which unfortunately may have dliuted the quality of his music and exposed more folks to his music of lesser quality.
Being prolific may have been a disadvantage, I will have to hear more of his later works to make that assessment. Some of his music is quite angular at times.
And I must pick up the Danachord CD's for 3,4,5,and 7 you mentioned, thanks again.

It tends to be assumed that if a composer has written so many pieces, the quality must be uneven, but if there are poor pieces by Bentzon I haven't heard them yet.

I digitised symphonies 3, 5 & 7 from old LPs, but if these are the performances reissued on Danachord, I can't post them.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 30, 2014, 06:16:45 pm »

Lithuanian concert to console me for the Basinskas I'm too stupid to download !

Naujalis - Autumn
Klenickis - Sinfonietta
Narbutaite - Sinfonia Secunda; Bethleem
Serksnyte - De Profundis
Sasnauskas - Requiem
Report Spam   Logged

Clive

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: