The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:05:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 98036 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 02, 2014, 02:40:01 am »

back to the thread topic,
I am relistening to the music of Arnold Cooke and find there is something captivating about the hybrid music of Hindemith and The English.  Cooke's music may be derivative, but if it is great, what's the diff? And I really like Arnell's earlier music, which are markedly Hindemithian in style,eg..try the grand piece of New World Overture and think Matis der Maler, http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/35006 or the Hindemith variations by Walton which I find totally captivating http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/21216.
Maybe its just a personal preference, but these are works that have real staying power with me as does Arnold Cooke. I do not feel the same way re Genzmer, often considered as Hindemith's contemporary. Good, but not great and nearly the inspiration of Hindemith.
Can anyone suggest and Hindemithian derivatives I may be missing, British it or otherwise? Maybe a thread for the Hindemith "school" is long overdue here.

For me it still works the other way around. I never took a special interest in Hindemith, but I love and admire Cooke and see what you mean with Arnell in the early 1940s. I really cannot tell how big the Hindemith influence is, but to my ears Cooke's music inhabits a world of his own, more lyrical and transcendent. In short: English. :-) For me, his closest connection might be Lennox Berkeley of the 1940s and 1950s, whose inspiratons are supposed to be French and not German. Again, I find his style rather English and prefer it to his supposed sources of inspiration, e.g. Poulenc or Milhaud. Personally, I would loosely "group" Cooke with Berkeley, and perhaps Arnell, Goossens and Rawsthorne. But I hope you have even beter advice for me.

Thanks for the Berkeley lead, I need to hear his music, any piece in particular that features Hndemith style, or will any work do?.
I tend to over-analyze music I am fond of in the hope that similar music will come my way. Perhaps a thread for music derived from or in hommage to Hindemith would be in order. The ties to Cooke, early Arnell and Walton are obvious ones, any others are more obscure. Very sorry to digress from the subject of this thread.
Report Spam   Logged
Leea25
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 03, 2014, 05:19:33 pm »

I seem to be stuck in a rut, listening to the same few pieces over and over... not necessarily a bad thing, as I love them! Nevertheless, perhaps I should branch out a little. They are:

Atterberg Piano Concerto
Taktakishvili Symphony No.2
Yurovsky Symphony No.5
Williams Jurassic Park soundtrack (sorry!!! it is good though, especially some of the non-big-tuney bits)
Peiko Piano quintet
Alwyn Autumn Legend
Barber Adagio
Martinu Cello Sonata No.3

Something of a random mix, but it keeps me occupied! :)
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 03, 2014, 06:11:17 pm »

Since we're doing a little better than of late with the weather, a Spring-themed evening !

Arnold Bax - Spring Fire
 Martian Negrea - Spring Symphony
 Yan-Yu Xua - Moonlight over the Spring River
 Slava Vorlova - Spring Concerto for Flute & Orchestra
 Efrem Podgaits - Missa Veris(Spring Mass)

Hope I need plenty of Summer music some time this year !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 03, 2014, 11:23:34 pm »

Since we're doing a little better than of late with the weather, a Spring-themed evening !

Arnold Bax - Spring Fire
 Martian Negrea - Spring Symphony
 Yan-Yu Xua - Moonlight over the Spring River
 Slava Vorlova - Spring Concerto for Flute & Orchestra
 Efrem Podgaits - Missa Veris(Spring Mass)

Hope I need plenty of Summer music some time this year !
sounds like the basis of another thread on "Spring" music.
there is also this fine piece:
Kabalevsky "Spring Symphonic Poem"
and
Benjamin Britten. "Spring Symphony"
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 04, 2014, 09:02:19 am »

Frank Bridge "Enter Spring" etc etc - there's a huge number of pieces with "Spring" in the title.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 04, 2014, 01:20:53 pm »

Frank Bridge "Enter Spring" etc etc - there's a huge number of pieces with "Spring" in the title.

Yes, afraid there are - I chose 5 out of maybe 25 just from my collection !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 04, 2014, 07:06:55 pm »

Right now listening to a rather pleasant work:

Knudåge Riisager: Ballet Music: Etudes. (1947) Back in the 1970s an 11-minute Suite from this ballet came on a lp (on the Turnabout label, if I remember correctly).

This kind of music makes me smile. I reckonised some wellkown tunes in it. It takes 40 minutes from your time.
And... if you also like it, try his Ballets Benzin or Qartsiluni, two others of his thirteen ballets.
Both Benzin and yet another Ballet Slaraffenland are also on cd.

This is fun music, not digging deep, just playful

Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 04, 2014, 07:25:31 pm »

Knudåge Riisager: Ballet Music: Etudes. (1947) Back in the 1970s an 11-minute Suite from this ballet came on a lp (on the Turnabout label, if I remember correctly).

This kind of music makes me smile. I reckonised some wellkown tunes in it. It takes 40 minutes from your time.
And... if you also like it, try his Ballets Benzin or Qartsiluni, two others of his thirteen ballets.

Found it, thanks - yes; cheerful...actually just what I need this evening !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Leea25
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 04, 2014, 08:34:10 pm »

Just had Juon's Chamber Symphony on. Great piece, full of lovely Russian tunes - if you like that sort of thing!
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 05, 2014, 06:16:36 am »

Listening to Bartok's Wooden Prince at Swedish radio and it is an absolute incredible performance
of a masterpiece....all 58 minutes!!
http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,3494.0.html
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 05, 2014, 06:21:24 am »

I think Riisager is a highly underrated composer, although he can be a bit trite at times....
A sample of his 3 delightful symphonies are avaiable from DaCapo(an excellent purcahse BTW)   and can be heard here:

Found it, thanks - yes; cheerful...actually just what I need this evening !
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 05, 2014, 11:23:09 am »

Just had Juon's Chamber Symphony on. Great piece, full of lovely Russian tunes - if you like that sort of thing!

Ah - had a couple of his works ('Mystery' for viola/orchestra being the better); with the help of classical-music-online, now got, & listening to, the Chamber Symphony, thanks !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Leea25
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 05, 2014, 01:11:51 pm »

Glad you liked it! You should try the Piano Quintet No.1 too - in a very similar vein and equally tuneful!
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 05, 2014, 09:04:25 pm »

Well, our mighty football team is trying to overcome formidable Denmark tonight, so in honour of the opponents :

Joachim Andersen - Ballade & Dance of the Sylphs
Ludolf Nielsen - Forest Walk
Niels Gade - At Sunset
Niels Viggo Bentzon - Symphony no. 12
Launy Grondahl - Trombone Concerto
Asger Hamerik - Requiem                (choral finish, of course !)

Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest377
« Reply #479 on: March 07, 2014, 07:37:34 pm »

I have really enjoyed the Naxos series    Taneyev, S.: Stg Qts  Carpe Diem Qt [Naxos] series...  Its nice to see a fresh recording of these lovely works.
I have the Melodiya LPs but this series is great.     Hopefully we will see some more recordings from this era.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: