The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:27:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96668 times)
ericaleo
« Reply #435 on: February 14, 2014, 06:15:01 am »

Hi guys,
Swiss composer Peter Mieg, specifically the Piano Concert,
I m Erica leo, 23 years young. I love creating, listening music, playing dancing and outing with my friend. I love to make new friends.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:13:00 am by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 15, 2014, 07:47:51 am »

Hi guys,
Swiss composer Peter Mieg, specifically the Piano Concert,
I m Erica leo, 23 years young. I love creating, listening music, playing dancing and outing with my friend. I love to make new friends.

I am an admirer of his music as well..at times, his tonality sounds a great deal like Frank Martin but Mieg is less angular, more lyrical and relaxing.
He is quite well represented on Ytube.
This is one prime site, there are others
https://www.youtube.com/user/cygnebleu/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/cygnebleu/videos
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 15, 2014, 08:02:23 am »

Listening to Howard Blake's Clarinet Concerto, highly reccomended for those who may not be
gaga over clarinet concertos. This is very dreamy romantic music typical of this fine composer.

Blake,Howard  (1938 ) - Clarinet Concerto (1985)
Thea King (clarinet),ENGLISH CHAMBER ORCHESTRA, HOWARD BLAKE, conductor. Recorded in 1985..
http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/47579
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #438 on: February 15, 2014, 02:46:04 pm »

Muzio Clementi's symphonies, has been awhile and still they hold me all the way through.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #439 on: February 15, 2014, 04:37:55 pm »

Indeed, the Clementi symphonies are among my favorite lesser-known late classical symphonies. Very inventive, quite "meaty" and thoroughly enjoyable music through and through. IIRC the Third is a stirring work which incorporates the British national anthem.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 16, 2014, 07:12:07 am »

Got a good dose of Edward Gregson's music tonite and wondered why he is not considered as one of the best modern British composers.
Unlike some other heralded modern UK composers, his music does not sound fabricated and has a strong sense of purpose and direction.
Well crafted tonal music with no gimmicks.
In the past, I had only heard some of his virtuoso works for brass and brass band and had greatly misjudged him on that basis.
His Violin Concerto and Concerto for Orchestra, you must hear...The Clarinet Concerto has some magical moments.

Be advised that it may just be a personal preference, but none the less, he is certainly worthy of your time.

http://classical-music-online.net/en/composer/Gregson/15826

Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 17, 2014, 03:07:18 pm »

Thank you, Mr. JR; I'm trying to get as much value as possible from my recent 'subscription' to the c-m-o site, & it's more than useful to have someone else searching out gems too !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
SerAmantiodiNicolao
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 18, 2014, 01:15:26 am »

I'm listening to a disc of lieder by Othmar Schoeck at the moment - Elegi op. 36.  It's far less angular than I was expecting - not unattractive music, all told.  Before that, some Brahms chamber music.  And last night I listened to Leoncavallo's I Medici, which Opera Orchestra of New York is doing come April.  Wish I could be there - it's a well-put-together piece.  Not quite a masterpiece, but it gets better as it goes along, I find.
Report Spam   Logged
giwro
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 18, 2014, 06:01:13 pm »

Last night started making my way through the Symphonies of Charles Tournemire again - I try to listen through them at least once a year.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 19, 2014, 10:13:34 pm »

I'm listening to a disc of lieder by Othmar Schoeck at the moment - Elegi op. 36.  It's far less angular than I was expecting - not unattractive music, all told.  Before that, some Brahms chamber music.  And last night I listened to Leoncavallo's I Medici, which Opera Orchestra of New York is doing come April.  Wish I could be there - it's a well-put-together piece.  Not quite a masterpiece, but it gets better as it goes along, I find.
I'm not much into horn concertos per se, but Schoek's Horn Concerto has an unforgettable opening theme that I keep humming.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 20, 2014, 12:04:16 am »

Thank you, Mr. JR; I'm trying to get as much value as possible from my recent 'subscription' to the c-m-o site, & it's more than useful to have someone else searching out gems too !
You are welcome, cjvinthechair..
Besides searching by composer, depending on your mood, you can also access music by country or by artist (I use very busy conductors like Svetlanov, Bernardi, Jarvi, etc.).
If you click a piece of music you like, clicking on the posters name will bring up their page and clicking on the number of videos posted will bring the postings up..thru them if you have time.
Happy hunting.

Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 20, 2014, 11:36:31 am »

Besides searching by composer, depending on your mood, you can also access music by country or by artist (I use very busy conductors like Svetlanov, Bernardi, Jarvi, etc.).
If you click a piece of music you like, clicking on the posters name will bring up their page and clicking on the number of videos posted will bring the postings up..thru them if you have time.
Happy hunting.

Yes - getting there ! Unfortunately, one of my favourite posters, from Canada, has well over 6 thousand uploads; not so easy, nor is it easy(unlike YT) to get back to the place in his uploads where you finished last time !
So, the more people hunting the better.

http://classical-music-online.net/en/composer/Markelov/3290

Speaking of which...here's a composer I found with some interesting works; he's a bit obsessed with bells, I suppose, but there's plenty else to enjoy.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 20, 2014, 11:08:49 pm »

Happy hunting.

Yes - getting there ! Unfortunately, one of my favourite posters, from Canada, has well over 6 thousand uploads; not so easy, nor is it easy(unlike YT) to get back to the place in his uploads where you finished last time !
So, the more people hunting the better.

http://classical-music-online.net/en/composer/Markelov/3290

Speaking of which...here's a composer I found with some interesting works; he's a bit obsessed with bells, I suppose, but there's plenty else to enjoy.

Thank you..this looks very interesting..
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 21, 2014, 08:37:38 pm »

Since it's a boring evening of transferring music to a new back-up drive, & have just done 'D', thought I'd have a 'D'-themed concert !

Ingolf Dahl - The Tower of Saint Barbara
 Ikuma Dan - Symphony no. 3
 Marc-Andre Dalbavie - Flute Concerto
 Rihards Dubra - Mass Signum Magnum
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 21, 2014, 11:03:59 pm »

Last night started making my way through the Symphonies of Charles Tournemire again - I try to listen through them at least once a year.

Hah, so do I periodically.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: