The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:43:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96969 times)
guest377
« Reply #420 on: February 06, 2014, 03:15:47 am »

I don't know if the Setu Symphony is commerically available.. I think that was a radio broadcast recording.  I see it is also on Youtube. 
I'd like to find a commercially available recording esp. in the new bit rate format that Chandos has
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #421 on: February 06, 2014, 03:25:12 am »

I don't know if the Setu Symphony is commerically available.. I think that was a radio broadcast recording.  I see it is also on Youtube. 
I'd like to find a commercially available recording esp. in the new bit rate format that Chandos has

here is where it came from:

http://www.erso.ee/?concert=archive251&lang=en
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #422 on: February 09, 2014, 06:26:44 pm »

currently this morning Abeliovich's Third Symphony.. following along with the score in hand which I like to do with a cup of Starbucks.

http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/45982

(interesting the Score is for Full Symphony Orchestra.. dedicated to Moisei Weinberg. published 1970 in Leningrad)
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 09, 2014, 06:42:18 pm »

Ah - good for MR. 'dhibbard' - arriving on-line nicely to give a 'steer' for Sunday's programme : Belarus it is -
Andrei Mdivani - Frescoes symphonic poem
Evgeny Tikotsky - Symphony no.6
Vladimir Kuryan - Cimbalom concerto
Igar Khadoska - Lamentations Oratorio (what - you think I'd finish without a choral workout ? Wow, this is gorgeous !))
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest377
« Reply #424 on: February 09, 2014, 06:52:42 pm »

Thank you !!   btw, this recording is only the first 2 movements of the symphony..  hmm..there are actually 4 movements in this symphony.   and yes, I have Khodosky's Sym #4 lined up with the Olympics on the TV on mute ( a great combo)
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 10, 2014, 05:23:10 pm »

Chill evening here in Turkey (yes, still !) so, since I've just been disappointed to discover that I already have the requiem uploaded this p.m. to YT, I'll continue with the country anyway : Lithuania tonight !
 Ceslovas Sasnauskas - Requiem
Saulius Auglys-Stanevicius - Marimba Concerto
Joseph Achron (officially Lithuanian born, I'm assured !) -  Violin Concerto
Onute Narbutaite - 2nd Symphony
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 10, 2014, 07:54:33 pm »

Just for completion: Joseph Achron was born in Lazdijai, today it is in Lithuania. His place of birth belonged to Tsarist Russia. He was child of Jewish parents. His younger brother Isidor was a very gifted pianist, who for many years was a music accompanist to violinist Jascha Heifetz.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #427 on: February 10, 2014, 08:40:42 pm »

Just received a 2CD set in the post today  Salmanov - The Four Symphonies (2CD)   just now giving it a listen.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #428 on: February 11, 2014, 01:21:57 am »

All Salmanov's symphonies are great, especially the valedictory Fourth. They are about on par with Shebalin's
cycle and are largely similar in style to them (think Miaskovsky-meets-Prokofiev-meets-Shostakovich).
Report Spam   Logged
SerAmantiodiNicolao
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 11, 2014, 01:44:09 am »

I'm plugging away at the cpo Atterberg symphony cycle - right now I'm in the middle of the Third.  Quite impressive work...very interesting use of dynamic contrast.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 11, 2014, 02:13:31 am »

Really enjoying the music of Dr. Robert Turner at the CMC website. Robert Turner was
a melodic and very prolific composer who deserves a much wider audience, his music is quite endearing.
His 3rd symphony and chamber Concerto were especially enjoyable.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #431 on: February 11, 2014, 03:19:12 am »

I'm plugging away at the cpo Atterberg symphony cycle - right now I'm in the middle of the Third.  Quite impressive work...very interesting use of dynamic contrast.

You're making this fellow proud ;D The Third, as I have remarked countless times, is an extraordinary work :) Wait until you get to the awe-inspiring finale :)
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 11, 2014, 11:13:54 am »

Just received a 2CD set in the post today  Salmanov - The Four Symphonies (2CD)   just now giving it a listen.

Wow - thank you; one I'd missed entirely, as nothing on YT. After a successful visit to classical-music-online, I'll be getting up to speed on him tonight !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
SerAmantiodiNicolao
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 11, 2014, 04:52:29 pm »

You're making this fellow proud ;D The Third, as I have remarked countless times, is an extraordinary work :) Wait until you get to the awe-inspiring finale :)

Well, so far I'm four of five CDs into the cycle, and I'm quite pleased.  The Third remains the capstone (of the eight to which I have listened), but I find much to enjoy in most of them thus far.  I will admit I've been too lazy to listen to them in numerical order, but that throws into greater relief some of his artistic development.

I can't really call it a surprise, as I was already familiar with Atterberg's music (I own a Sterling recording of the concerti for piano and violin).  But it's made for some pleasant listening these past few days.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #434 on: February 11, 2014, 09:01:09 pm »

I don't listen to them (or indeed a cycle of any sort) in numerical order, so don't feel lazy ;D Glad you are enjoying Atterberg's music, though I would say it is much more than just "pleasant listening" :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: