The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:05:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97078 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: December 12, 2013, 03:05:07 pm »

Rather more attractive than the recent Naxos Balada disc  ;D the Kara Karayev Ballet Suites "The Seven Beauties" and "The Path of Thunder" (No.2):

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Naxos/8573122

Rich, romantic, lyrical music. One can easily see why these ballets were popular in Russia in the 1950s :)
Report Spam   Logged
SerAmantiodiNicolao
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 12, 2013, 03:34:28 pm »

Tonight I've been listening to one of the CPO releases in the Felix Weingartner series - in this instance the Second Symphony and Das Gefilde der Seligen.  Very lovely, lush, late-Romantic music.  Mahlerian, but more accessible.  I'm impressed - a cut above most of what one hears from composer-conductors.

Weingartner-like Furtwangler-was convinced that he was a composer who conducted :)

Well, based on my admittedly limited experience of both, I'd say Weingartner succeeded on that count where Furtwangler failed.  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: December 12, 2013, 04:00:38 pm »

Tonight I've been listening to one of the CPO releases in the Felix Weingartner series - in this instance the Second Symphony and Das Gefilde der Seligen.  Very lovely, lush, late-Romantic music.  Mahlerian, but more accessible.  I'm impressed - a cut above most of what one hears from composer-conductors.

Weingartner-like Furtwangler-was convinced that he was a composer who conducted :)

Well, based on my admittedly limited experience of both, I'd say Weingartner succeeded on that count where Furtwangler failed.  ;D

Furtwangler was desperately disappointed that his music did not receive more recognition. He took his compositions very seriously and poured so much of his musical essence into them. Trouble was he didn't really know how to stop doing so ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: December 12, 2013, 05:47:23 pm »

Now.....Sir Peter Maxwell Davies's Strathclyde Concertos Nos. 7 and 8 on the recent Naxos reissue:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Naxos/8572355

Both concertos are quite tough works but nevertheless perfectly "accessible"....but the real treasure on this disc for me is the absolutely marvelllous, tuneful and gloriously impressive "A Spell for Green Corn: The MacDonald Dances" for Violin and Orchestra of 1993. This must be one of Maxwell Davies's most "accessible" works but it is really a revelation to me :)

Incidentally, with Concertos Nos. 9 and 10 due out next month, that just leaves the Strathclyde Concerto No.1 for Oboe and Orchestra to come from Naxos. I am presuming that the company will seek to couple it with "The Beltane Fire" from 1995, a substantial work at 37 minutes and a former Collins recording.

Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #289 on: December 12, 2013, 07:56:49 pm »

Rather more attractive than the recent Naxos Balada disc  ;D the Kara Karayev Ballet Suites "The Seven Beauties" and "The Path of Thunder" (No.2):

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Naxos/8573122

Rich, romantic, lyrical music. One can easily see why these ballets were popular in Russia in the 1950s :)

Karayev's ballet suites are certainly the equal of those of Khachaturian! Beautiful music :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #290 on: December 12, 2013, 07:59:37 pm »

Furtwangler was desperately disappointed that his music did not receive more recognition. He took his compositions very seriously and poured so much of his musical essence into them. Trouble was he he really know how to stop doing so ;D

Furtwangler's Symphony no. 2 is a fine work and undoubtedly the most accomplished of his three symphonies. The superb recording by Barenboim and the Chicago SO shows just what wonders a world-class conductor and orchestra can do with an obscure work :)
Report Spam   Logged
SerAmantiodiNicolao
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 12, 2013, 08:31:15 pm »

Furtwangler was desperately disappointed that his music did not receive more recognition. He took his compositions very seriously and poured so much of his musical essence into them. Trouble was he he really know how to stop doing so ;D

Furtwangler's Symphony no. 2 is a fine work and undoubtedly the most accomplished of his three symphonies. The superb recording by Barenboim and the Chicago SO shows just what wonders a world-class conductor and orchestra can do with an obscure work :)

Meh.  I listened to a couple of his symphonies on CD once, long ago.  I can't say they fired in me any desire to return for a second look.  Perhaps in another year or three...
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: December 12, 2013, 08:45:37 pm »

There is a fascinating four part black and white documentary from c. 1970 on You Tube.

This is a link to Part 4:

Whilst we may disagree about Furtwangler's merits as a composer surely there is no doubt that-despite that extraordinary conducting style-he was a quite superb conductor.

Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 13, 2013, 12:18:19 am »

Irving Fine's Symphony ... a magnificent work

I was a bit daft in comparing Flagello to Fine. Thanks for not mentioning that. But what really separates Fine from Flagello, in my opinion, in not the twelve-tone part -- important as that was to Fine and his nervous contemporaries -- but the rhythmic part, for which we have no common label. Fine writes exploratory music using the nervous gestures we recognize from Austrian music in and after the period when the promise of European culture was dissolving under the pressures of the Great War and the cultural contradictions that led to it. Flagello, on the the other hand, writes music of nearly equivalent dissonance using the rhythmic and phrasing gestures we associate with the best music from 1880-1920.
Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 13, 2013, 12:22:30 am »

Furtwangler's Symphony no. 2 is a fine work and undoubtedly the most accomplished of his three symphonies

I won't disagree with that assessment, but I love Symphony 3, perhaps even more.
Report Spam   Logged
Leea25
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 13, 2013, 01:06:48 am »

I have just finished listening to Vladimir Yurovsky's 5th Symphony and all I can say is 'wow!' I absolutely loved it! I'm incredibly busy and it's been a looong time since a piece of music made me stop what I was doing, sit down, and listen to it. It's just up my street - all the best bits of 1930s/40s-style Soviet music (think Popov 1 and 2, Shos 5, perhaps bits of Kabalevsky), with a dash of film music (in a good way), except written in 1971. The end is thrilling! I would gladly post the recording, but I have no idea where I got it from... it is a live one, but that doesn't mean it isn't available on CD. A quick search doesn't help me... can anyone confirm?

Two further things: firstly, does anyone have any more of his music, or know of any recordings? He died in 1972, but was born in 1915, so I guess there must be quite a bit of music, including the other 4 symphonies at the very least. Almost everything I was ever able to find out is here : http://www.russiancomposers.org.uk/page1278.html

Secondly, does any one have any idea where I might find a score!?

Many thanks,
Lee
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: December 13, 2013, 01:58:15 am »

I have a recording of the Yurovsky Symphony No.4 which I am perfectly happy to upload for you :)

Btw...I totally agree with you about the Symphony No.5 :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: December 13, 2013, 02:14:34 am »

Yurovsky Symphony No.4 now available in Downloads section as promised :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #298 on: December 13, 2013, 02:57:27 am »

I was a bit daft in comparing Flagello to Fine. Thanks for not mentioning that. But what really separates Fine from Flagello, in my opinion, in not the twelve-tone part -- important as that was to Fine and his nervous contemporaries -- but the rhythmic part, for which we have no common label. Fine writes exploratory music using the nervous gestures we recognize from Austrian music in and after the period when the promise of European culture was dissolving under the pressures of the Great War and the cultural contradictions that led to it. Flagello, on the the other hand, writes music of nearly equivalent dissonance using the rhythmic and phrasing gestures we associate with the best music from 1880-1920.

Yes, Fine's music is of a decidedly neoclassical bent, although his beautiful Serious Song for string orchestra is very much in the tradition of, say, RVW.
Report Spam   Logged
Leea25
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 13, 2013, 05:05:49 pm »

Thanks very much Colin! :)

Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: