The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:31:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96790 times)
kyjo
« Reply #240 on: December 07, 2013, 10:46:07 pm »

Anton Rubinstein's Symphony No.6 and "Don Quixote": re-release from Naxos of the former Marco Polo cd.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Naxos/8555394

Pleasant, well-constructed....and totally unmemorable-as I find all Rubinstein's music. I am afraid that, if he did not quite deserve the derision in which he was held by the younger generation of Russian composers(his work in establishing the St. Petersburg Conservatory must be properly acknowledged), he is very far from a great composer or, even, frankly, a very interesting composer.

(I shall post a catalogue of his orchestral music....but compiling it was a chore rather than a pleasure :()

I'm inclined to agree with you, Colin, but I do think Rubinstein's Piano Concerto no. 5 is a splendid work-rather like a cross between Beethoven's Emperor Concerto and Liszt's two PCs. It is by some distance the most accomplished work I've heard by him, though I don't know The Demon, which has garnered much praise in some circles.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: December 07, 2013, 11:17:49 pm »

No, no, no ::)

Some of Strauss's music MAY have a "degree of superficiality". That is at least debatable....and you are fully entitled to argue that. But not "all" of it, surely ???
How can anyone argue that the Four Last Songs are superficial ::) I shall die on the barricades defending them against such a charge ;D :)

You like Strauss' music and I don't; let's just leave it at that :)

I shan't say anything critical about Delius if you similarly abstain from criticism of Strauss ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #242 on: December 07, 2013, 11:35:25 pm »

I shan't say anything critical about Delius if you similarly abstain from criticism of Strauss ;D ;D

Now, now......You may criticize Delius; that is, if you abstain from criticism of Rachmaninov ;D In all honestly, Delius is not a composer whose music I could listen to on a regular basis. But, I don't dislike his music-far from it! The wistful melancholy of his music can (if I am in the right mood) be very effective to me. I love works like the Songs of Sunset, Florida Suite, and North Country Sketches, but struggle to appreciate works such as the Two Pieces for Small Orchestra and the PC. Go figure!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: December 07, 2013, 11:39:51 pm »

OK....we can substitute Rachmaninov then ;D
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #244 on: December 08, 2013, 04:38:33 am »

Henk Badings' Double Piano Concerto on YT. TOTALLY FREAKIN' AWESOME!!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 08, 2013, 12:38:26 pm »

Hans Henkemans is indeed very much underrated composer. He lived from 1913-1995
He was a versatile man: pianist, composer, music critic and psychiatrist.
He has been praised for his performances of Debussy's piano music, as well as a soloist in Mozart concertos
Donemus released a couple of his works on lp in the 70s and 80s, most of them later re-released on cd.

At Discogs you find: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Hans+Henkemans
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 08, 2013, 01:41:32 pm »

Henk Badings' Double Piano Concerto on YT. TOTALLY FREAKIN' AWESOME!!! ;D

Can we take that as a mild recommendation, Mr. K. ? In which case had better try it ! Liked his double violin concerto, so...promising ! Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 08, 2013, 02:06:30 pm »

Now, now......You may criticize Delius; that is, if you abstain from criticism of Rachmaninov ;D In all honestly, Delius is not a composer whose music I could listen to on a regular basis. But, I don't dislike his music-far from it! The wistful melancholy of his music can (if I am in the right mood) be very effective to me. I love works like the Songs of Sunset, Florida Suite, and North Country Sketches, but struggle to appreciate works such as the Two Pieces for Small Orchestra and the PC. Go figure!
Interesting! I love Delius;but 'North Country Sketches (one of my favourites) has been described as "music for people who don't normally like Delius" (not an exact quote,but you get the drift?) and the 'Piano Concerto' isn't exactly regarded as either typical of Delius's music or one of his most successful (by quite a stretch!). Of course,if you're not that keen on Delius,that may be a good reason to like it! And the 'Two pieces for Small orchestra'?!! ??? ::) I can listen to Delius happily for hours,but I don't see many confirmed Delians getting too excited about those?! ??? 'Brigg Fair','A Village Romeo & Juliet','Appalachia','Sea Drift'? Now we're talking! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 08, 2013, 02:11:47 pm »

Rubinstein's Third symphony (and the Fifth before that)........and (gulp!)I'm actually enjoying them!!! :o I like his First & Fourth too,although I haven't made up my mind about the Sixth yet!

Embarassing,what?!! :-[ ;D
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #249 on: December 08, 2013, 05:13:22 pm »

If you like the music of Badings, you may enjoy his fellow countryman Hans Henkemans.
Not nearly as prolific, but a similar approach to composing .. do you know him?

I've heard of Henkemans, but I've never heard any of his music. Thanks for the rec!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #250 on: December 08, 2013, 05:18:51 pm »

Can we take that as a mild recommendation, Mr. K. ? In which case had better try it ! Liked his double violin concerto, so...promising ! Thanks.

Apologies for the crude reaction I posted to the Badings work ;D It is a highly original work with imaginative use of percussion in particular.His Double VC is also great!
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 08, 2013, 05:35:14 pm »

If you like the music of Badings, you may enjoy his fellow countryman Hans Henkemans.
Not nearly as prolific, but a similar approach to composing .. do you know him?

I've heard of Henkemans, but I've never heard any of his music. Thanks for the rec!
Several pieces on the 'Dutch Composers' Channel on YT.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 09, 2013, 01:06:58 pm »

Raff symphony No 8. Not particularly deep,but one of his best,as opposed to 'best'! Colourful orchestration,tuneful,nice and restful. I think Raff No's 3-5 are actually very good and deserve to be heard more often than they do. The Piano Concerto is absolutely lovely. A pity then that the admittedly entertaining 'Wild Hunt' in the finale of the Third just isn't scary enough! And the Fifth just isn't anywhere near as creepy or spine chilling as it should be! Even in Raff's best scores there's a chunk of the old Victorian drawing room,a salon quality,which prevents me from taking some of the high flown adulation of the pro-Raff camp too seriously. Yes,Raff was a talented composer who didn't quite deserve his postumous neglect. Yes,his best scores,like the Third and Fifth,do deserve an occasional concert hall outing;but let's face it. Maybe,even for the most fervent Raff admirers,it's a good thing they don't. The critics would tear them apart! Best in my opinion,if you do like Raff,to enjoy the recent flood of top notch Raff recordings and appreciate Raff for what he is! Either way,I have always loved woodland,so the Thirds always going to be on my list of cds worth playing;even if the 'Wild Hunt' doesn't scare the pants off me!

I'll leave that to Berlioz!! :o ;D
Report Spam   Logged
SerAmantiodiNicolao
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 09, 2013, 03:47:10 pm »

I just started a disc of Albanian concertante music: http://www.enokoco.com/conducting/cd-recordings/ (last but one on the page.)  So far, I quite like some of it, and am indifferent to some of it.  I can't remember composers offhand.  I do recall greatly enjoying the first piece, for violin and orchestra.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 09, 2013, 04:47:26 pm »

Thank you, SerAmantiodiNicolao, Albania is still very unknown to most of us. But what I heard sofar they made me want to know more of them.

Now I listen to Anton Rubinstein's Fifth Symphony. Very rewarding. The more I know of this composer the more I like his works. Earlier I had a listen to this, but not for a long time. Now hearing it again it really impresses.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: