The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:43:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96659 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2013, 12:27:17 am »

Listening to Eino Tamberg's Joanna Tenata Ballet..WOW!!
I was held spellbound by this music...it is music NOT TO BE MISSED..
If you are not familiar with Tamberg's music, this is an excellent place to start.

http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/34965
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2013, 01:51:25 am »

Well, Jolly Roger you are absolutely right!! This is fascinating music.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2013, 05:50:33 am »

The dramatic music is very turbulent at times, and quite lyrical at others.
This puts the high drama of the music in some context:
From http://contemporaryperformance.org/events/joanna-tentata
"Inspired by the supposed possession, Joanna Tenata tells the tale of a Mother Superior possessed by demons and the man who tries to save her.
It is a story about dogmas, exorcism and love, what is based on real event occurred in 17th century, with Ursuline nuns of the town of Loudun in France.
It is a love story about a man and a woman who wear church clothes, and whose religion does not allow them to love each other. The devils that possess these characters are the external manifestations of their repressed love."
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2013, 07:23:19 am »

I have been listening to Delius's sublime 'Cello Concerto (1921), than which no other piece of music can give more pleasure. "This concerto gives us fullest measure of Delius's richest orchestration and most lavish harmony," wrote Arthur Hutchings. "The music, with its beguiling beauty and riotous colour, is of the composer's best."

Well performed by Raphael Wallfisch with Mackerras and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2013, 10:07:15 am »

I have been listening to Delius's sublime 'Cello Concerto (1921), than which no other piece of music can give more pleasure. "This concerto gives us fullest measure of Delius's richest orchestration and most lavish harmony," wrote Arthur Hutchings. "The music, with its beguiling beauty and riotous colour, is of the composer's best."

Well performed by Raphael Wallfisch with Mackerras and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic.
That's surely an impossibly large claim for this Delius work, attractive though it undoubtedly is (and actually, for what it may be worth, I much prefer the same composer's Double Concerto...)
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2013, 10:55:25 am »

"Inspired by the supposed possession, Joanna Tenata tells the tale of a Mother Superior possessed by demons and the man who tries to save her.
It is a story about dogmas, exorcism and love, what is based on real event occurred in 17th century, with Ursuline nuns of the town of Loudun in France.
It is a love story about a man and a woman who wear church clothes, and whose religion does not allow them to love each other. The devils that possess these characters are the external manifestations of their repressed love."

The same story has been set as an opera by Penderecki - "The Devils Of Loudon", as well as being the story behind Ken Russell's notorious film "The Devils" - which starred Vanessa Redgrave as Mother Jeanne, and Oliver Reed as Pere Grandier.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2013, 09:43:49 pm »

The same story has been set as an opera by Penderecki - "The Devils Of Loudon", as well as being the story behind Ken Russell's notorious film "The Devils" - which starred Vanessa Redgrave as Mother Jeanne, and Oliver Reed as Pere Grandier.
Thats very Interesting info, I wonder who did the movie music..I don't think Penderecki did, did he?
The Devils of Loudun was written by Aldous Huxley in 1952, but his Brave New World had a major impact on my thinking.
I'm also thinking this strain of music parallels Prokofiev's powerful Fiery Angel, based another sordid tale.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #187 on: November 24, 2013, 04:32:21 am »

Willem Kersters (1929-1998): Symphony no. 3 (1967). A menacing, grim work with restless, propulsive outer movements. The motto theme, grippingly presented at the beginning of the piece, reappears throughout the work. The ending fades away with an oboe (English horn?) solo over pizzicato low strings.
Report Spam   Logged
autoharp
Level 3

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 24, 2013, 07:08:56 am »

Thats very Interesting info, I wonder who did the movie music..I don't think Penderecki did, did he?

Peter Maxwell Davies, wasn't it?
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 24, 2013, 08:38:42 am »

Peter Maxwell Davies, wasn't it?

Max does indeed get the composer credit in the film titles.

However, AFAIK much of the music was concocted in collaboration with David Munrow, whose ensemble (the Early Music Consort of London) play on much of the soundtrack. Munrow in turn looked to various Renaissance, early Baroque and medieval composers (including a lot of Praetorius, with which the film opens) for his dots.  And of course Praetorius was a publisher as well as a composer - the dance suites in his Terpsichore are clearly French imports (the different ballets have French titles), although the actual authorship of these pieces is probably now untraceable for the most part. Praetorius certainly deserves an arranger credit, at least :)  [Praetorius never bothered much with crediting the composers he included in his dance collections - even though several of the pieces - such as Schein's LA BATTALIA - are clearly not Praetorius's work, and many of them date from up to a century beforehand).  There's also quite a bit of Munrow's own composition and improvisation on the soundtrack - there's a longish bit of improvisation on a Chinese sheng, for example. There are also a few medieval 'hits' on the soundtrack, which are known from different sources - such as "Schiazula Marazula", a pseudo-African (?) piece which was published in all kinds of dance albums from the 1550s onwards - Praetorius also includes it, but in a very watered-down contrapuntal arrangement of his own. It's not impossible that the tune (and it's only a melody-line - presumably played over a drone accompaniment?) had actually come from the Maghreb - shawm bands (shawms on the top lines, drone trumpets below, and a load of drums) used to busk their way round Europe at the time, bringing their own repertoire with them...  they have survived to this day in parts of Catalunya.

[Way back when, I used to have lessons with Alan Lumsden, one of the core Munrow players - who told me who had played and composed what on The Devils. PMD was a friend of Munrow's, and it was all done in friendly collaboration, I believe?]
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2013, 09:33:14 am »

Listening to The Symphonic Fantasy on BACH by Eugen Suchon.
This is one of the most horrific, turbulent and eerie works I have ever heard.
Put away all sharp objects before listening..this is very rough sledding, Kabelec's angriest moments come to mind. Be advised that the clip is over attenuated and should be played at the lowest 2 notches of the volume control at this site:

Eugen Suchon (1908 –1993 ) - Symphonic Fantasy on BACH for Organ and Orchestra (1971)   
Czech Radio Symphony Orchestra, Ferdinand Klinda (organ),Jaroslaw Krombholc (conductor)

http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/41378
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #191 on: November 27, 2013, 03:54:16 pm »

Wow, I must hear that! I didn't know Suchon composed music like that!
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 27, 2013, 04:15:10 pm »

The Balfour Gardiner Overture is not a first recording either but a very engaging piece.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=166967
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: November 27, 2013, 04:36:54 pm »

The Balfour Gardiner Overture is not a first recording either but a very engaging piece.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=166967

Wrong thread, Mathias :)
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 27, 2013, 04:44:23 pm »

Back from the high seas (C's ?) - yes,quite lovely, thank you; Genova to Santos(Brazil) - on brief call in Barcelona, picked up in the Liceu shop a v. cheap & elderly recording of Rodion Shchedrin's 'Dead Souls' (operatic scenes after the Epic Poem by Nikolai Gogol), that I've just put on as background to this.
 Anyone familiar ?
Don't think it's going to become a 'go to' disc thus far, but very listenable as ever from RS.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: