The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:25:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97182 times)
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2013, 09:07:17 pm »

Varied evening's listening:

Gosta Nystroem - Ishavet
Jordan Gudefin - Concerto for Marimba 'Night's Door'
Efrem Podgaits - Concerto for Bayan
David Maslanka - Mass

Sleep soundly after that (and a glass or two of Chardonnay) !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2013, 12:32:21 am »

Thanks much for the link to the Bloch Symphonic Suite, Jolly Roger. I've wanted to hear that for a long time. I'd hoped it would be memorable, and it certainly is!
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2013, 01:28:55 am »

Thanks much for the link to the Bloch Symphonic Suite, Jolly Roger. I've wanted to hear that for a long time. I'd hoped it would be memorable, and it certainly is!
chill319 - I'm glad you liked it.
Tragically, its a piece that is often overlooked, so spread the word.
I think it may be his best work, there is something about it..and there are many great Bloch pieces.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2013, 02:41:17 am »

Just finished listening to Alexandre Tansman's Psalms for tenor, chorus, and orchestra on YT (no commercial recording available).

I must say that this is probably the most impressive work I have heard from Tansman yet :)

Beautiful tenor writing, along with some impressive contrapuntal work for the chorus and driving rhythms from the orchestra, make this a work well worth checking out!
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2013, 01:58:56 pm »

Just finished listening to Alexandre Tansman's Psalms for tenor, chorus, and orchestra on YT (no commercial recording available).

I must say that this is probably the most impressive work I have heard from Tansman yet :)

Beautiful tenor writing, along with some impressive contrapuntal work for the chorus and driving rhythms from the orchestra, make this a work well worth checking out!
Well, have to take your word for it on the 'contrapuntal' bit, but would certainly agree it's my favourite Tansman piece ! No 'choral' bias, of course !

Having a very 'modern' day, inspired by a 21stC thread on another site.  Sylvano Bussotti - Bergkristall;  Niccolo Castiglioni - Sinfonia con Rosignolo;   Donald Erb - Percussion Concerto;  Jon Leifs - Hafis;  and for tonight Hans Zender's take on Schubert's Winterreise.

Will either make or break my attempts to be a thoroughly modern musical adventurer !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2013, 06:05:23 pm »

Oh, dear - seem to have stopped all traffic with last night's effort !

Saturday: American evening... Nicholas Flagello - Missa Symphonica; James Domine - Alto sax. concerto; James Syler - Blue; Richard Toensing - Magnificat.

A happy weekend to all.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2013, 07:13:00 pm »

Rich French Baroque pickings on Swiss Radio tomorrow!!

http://www.swissradio.ch/menu/discography/klassik/opern/index.htm

10:07 Jean-Baptiste Lully - Alceste, ou le Triomphe d'Alcide (1988) Disques Montaigne (F)
 12:45 Jean-Baptiste Lully - Amadis (2006) Accord (F)
 15:40 Marc-Antoine Charpentier - Médée (1984) Harmonia Mundi (F)  [ <--  highly recommended! ]
 18:42 Michel Pignolet de Montéclair - Jephté (1992) Harmonia Mundi (F) - 1st recording
 21:11 Henry Desmarest - Vénus et Adonis (2006) Ambroisie (F)

Rare recordings of the kind that only real devotees might lash out on - so an ideal chance for an online streaming capture, if you fancy?  I shall leave the stream-capture in the hands of my dear other half, as I am out all afternoon at long rehearsals :))  So that will be my listening tomorrow evening and for some of Monday :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2013, 09:24:50 pm »

Oh, dear - seem to have stopped all traffic with last night's effort !

Saturday: American evening... Nicholas Flagello - Missa Symphonica; James Domine - Alto sax. concerto; James Syler - Blue; Richard Toensing - Magnificat.

A happy weekend to all.

What did you think of those Flagello works, Clive? He's a real favorite of mine-his music has great lyrical power.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2013, 10:23:34 pm »

Not managed to find all that much of his yet; Missa's excellent ! Not too complex...you can just lap it up. Is it just me, or might that be a feature of quite a lot of US composers; hugely enjoyable without 'taxing' you too much ? May be why some experts, maybe even some here, don't have much time for some of them.
For example, I also greatly enjoyed the other American pieces in tonight's 'concert', particularly the Syler, but I fear few if any colleagues here will go out of their way to try it. Perhaps it, and I are just too simple for this forum ?
And on that dispirited note.....!

Report Spam   Logged

Clive
SerAmantiodiNicolao
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2013, 06:45:35 am »

Not managed to find all that much of his yet; Missa's excellent ! Not too complex...you can just lap it up. Is it just me, or might that be a feature of quite a lot of US composers; hugely enjoyable without 'taxing' you too much ? May be why some experts, maybe even some here, don't have much time for some of them.
For example, I also greatly enjoyed the other American pieces in tonight's 'concert', particularly the Syler, but I fear few if any colleagues here will go out of their way to try it. Perhaps it, and I are just too simple for this forum ?
And on that dispirited note.....!

Possibly.  It's a quality I've noticed in a good deal of contemporary American music, actually.  Not that I dislike it - quite the contrary.  It's nice to have something well-crafted and not cerebral to listen to sometimes.

The radio's giving me Kalinnikov before bed tonight; tomorrow I shall listen to more of my new Maltese holdings.  So far I've listened to the first disc of 19th-century works.  Quite attractive...entirely unmemorable, and somewhat old-fashioned in their time, perhaps, but very nicely put together.  Frankly, I'm impressed...I had expected less.  (The performances, on the other hand...)
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 27, 2013, 10:09:31 pm »

Better balance up after 'American night'.

Valeriy Antonyuk - Symphony no. 2 'Fanfare'; Efrem Podgaits - Missa Veris ; Alexander Rodin - Symphony of Moonlight; Iraida Yusupova - Gothic Cantata.

Been a lovely few days - away to work again tomorrow, so no 'finds' for a while. Do hope someone's found something to arouse interest !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2013, 06:26:56 am »

Listening to Karol Rathaus -  Prelude for Orchestra op 71 (1958)
Robt Whitney and The Louisville Orch.

http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/18105

Rathaus is one of those composers I have difficulty coming to terms with and this work
is typical..a strange blend of dissonance and melody.. I think I like it..
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2013, 07:03:07 am »

More Rathaus on tap for this evening, now listening to his Piano Concerto of 1939.
This is a marvelous nostalgic work worthy of much more notoriety.
Unlike the Prelude, this is Rathaus at his best...
http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/28290
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2013, 11:56:43 am »

More Rathaus on tap for this evening, now listening to his Piano Concerto of 1939.

Mmm...got very little of his downloaded, so listening to a piece of 'incidental' (?) music called Uriel Acosta. He seems to have had a very 'interesting' life, in common with many from his background & era, but clearly found a niche that suited him at college in the States.
Will try the works you've found when I've finished this - thanks !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2013, 09:59:54 pm »

Mmm...got very little of his downloaded, so listening to a piece of 'incidental' (?) music called Uriel Acosta. He seems to have had a very 'interesting' life, in common with many from his background & era, but clearly found a niche that suited him at college in the States.
Will try the works you've found when I've finished this - thanks !
Instead of downloading you may want to record and listen live as it is much less limited timewise. Takes longer, but then you can quickly determine if you want discard or retain it. Re Rathaus, his music is a mixed bag, but I think the piano concerto,polonaise and symphonies are quite noteworthy. To my disdain, he is ften lumped with Schoenberg, but I feel he shares little with him except original nationality and chronology.
I will have to listen to Uriel Acosta again..it did not stick with me, some of his music is not an easy meal upon first hearing. What do you think of the piece?
This is also worth a listen, also 2 symphonies are there:

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: