The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:52:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96670 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 11, 2013, 06:01:14 am »

Just finished hearing Symphony No. 1 (1939) by Miroslav Magdalenic (1906-1969) ... a previously unknown (to me) Croatian composer. A rather conservative work, but with some interesting melodic and harmonic touches, oddly reminscent of Bantock and Elgar at times in the 1st movement. Worth a listen!

(available for download from Amazon, along with other works)
If he is a Croatian, he certainly merits a spin..
Report Spam   Logged
dholling
« Reply #136 on: October 11, 2013, 07:36:54 am »

Thank you Kyjo.
Very much so (although I'm very much into the Scandinavian, French and British music also, although Russian/Soviet music is my principal interest and passion).

Excellent! I prefer music from those nationalities as well. Who are some of your favorite composers?
It's going to be quite a list, but my favorites are:
Glazunov
Myaskovsky
Atterberg
Alfven
Nielsen
Langgaard
Tchaikovsky
Bruckner
Bax
Sibelius
Shostakovich
Shebalin
Faure
Massenet
Wagner
Rachmaninoff
Tubin
Melartin
Skulte
Creston
Diamond
Barber
Lyatoshynsky
Mussorgsky
Elgar
Suk
Janacek
Zemlinsky
Cyril Scott
Puccini
Dohnanyi
George Lloyd
Boris Tchaikovsky

Who are some of your favorites?
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #137 on: October 11, 2013, 03:35:36 pm »

Wow! We share many similarities! My top 20 (in order) are:

Rachmaninov
Tchaikovsky
Mahler
Sibelius
Shostakovich
Bruckner
Vaughan Williams
Ravel
Prokofiev
Debussy
Grieg
Elgar
Bartok
Atterberg
Nielsen
Scriabin
Bloch
Braga Santos
Barber
Dvorak

I look forward to reading your posts! I love a lot of the lesser-known composers you listed.

Report Spam   Logged
dholling
« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2013, 06:03:56 pm »

Hi Kyjo,

I should have mentioned Stephen Heller and perhaps John Ireland on my list. But yes, we do have similar tastes.
It's nice to see that you mentioned Braga-Santos. I admire his works immensely and find him to be a natural symphonist.
His last two are like 180s from the previous four, but he knew his orchestra. My favorites of them are his Second and
Fourth.

I'm looking forward to posting here. I write much about the music on Amazon. Here's the link.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A6IPCERKJ6QNP/ref=cm_cr_dp_pdp

Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2013, 06:48:36 pm »

Hi Kyjo,

I should have mentioned Stephen Heller and perhaps John Ireland on my list. But yes, we do have similar tastes.
It's nice to see that you mentioned Braga-Santos. I admire his works immensely and find him to be a natural symphonist.
His last two are like 180s from the previous four, but he knew his orchestra. My favorites of them are his Second and
Fourth.

I'm looking forward to posting here. I write much about the music on Amazon. Here's the link.

I love Braga Santos' music, and his Symphonies 2-4 are some of my favorite pieces of music. The rest of his output is more variable in quality, especially the later works, which I have a bit of trouble warming to.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2013, 08:36:09 pm »

Last night, I listened to Schnittke's Cello Concerto no. 1 from this set:

I'm not a huge Schnittke fan, but I was stunned by the great power and intensity of this work. The last four minutes or so of the 4th movement are terribly moving and almost brought a tear to my eye! :)
Report Spam   Logged
dholling
« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2013, 09:57:01 pm »

I got to give this album a try. I have his 6th Symphony which I like, but like you, I'm not really a Schnittke fan. Thanks for sharing that.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2013, 10:31:45 pm »

Hi Kyjo,

Fourth.

Any fan of Braga Santos is welcome here :) :) (not that others are not equally welcome of course ;D)

Four of the original so-called "BS Experts" from GMG are members here as well and I am proud to have been counted as one. We were not really "experts" but just huge enthusiasts for the marvellous music-about which I have written screeds on here and elsewhere ;D  But for the benefit of our new member I shall reiterate that on the relatively rare(fortunately) occasions when I might be feeling down the Fourth Symphony and, in particular, its finale revives my spirits. There are very very few works written by a 26 year-old composer in the 20th century which possess and which encapsulate so magnificently that splendid French expression "Joie de vivre"
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2013, 12:12:59 am »

I got to give this album a try. I have his 6th Symphony which I like, but like you, I'm not really a Schnittke fan. Thanks for sharing that.

Yes, it's my favorite Schnittke recording. I also like his Symphonies 0, 6, 8, the Viola Concerto, Peer Gynt, PC 1, and a few other works. His expressionistic style isn't exactly "easy" listening for me, but the raw power and emotional intensity of his music is never in doubt.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2013, 12:43:58 am »

Yes, it's my favorite Schnittke recording. I also like his Symphonies 0, 6, 8, the Viola Concerto, Peer Gynt, PC 1, and a few other works. His expressionistic style isn't exactly "easy" listening for me, but the raw power and emotional intensity of his music is never in doubt.

I wouldn't want to listen to too much Schnittke in a row, nor if I was depressed ;D

....but I do agree about the "raw power and emotional intensity" of the music. Schnittke always strikes me-in the same way as Allan Pettersson as a tortured soul.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2013, 04:34:21 am »

Just listened to Mikael Tariverdiev's (1931-96) Violin Concerto no. 1 (1992) on YT. I loved it! The first movement is playful and melodic, the second is a deeply felt Bachian aria, and the third is an infectious Prokofievian romp with a crazed ending. Do check it out! Here's his Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tariverdiev
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 17, 2013, 05:37:43 am »

Currently listening to Martinu's 14 minute Concerto Grosso for 2 Pianos..a melodic, restless piece..and not a dull moment in it!!
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2013, 12:03:06 pm »

Pavel Karmanov - Oratorio '5 Angels'; discovered by Mr. Elroel on You Tube ! Wonderfully relaxing for a wet Sat. morning !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2013, 04:59:28 pm »

Ferrer Ferran (b 1966) is a Spanish composer, who writes primarily for harmony orchestras.
I listen right now to his Passió de Cristo.

It is a powerful work where soloistic intrusions interact with the compleet orchestral  body. I use to listen to symphony orchestras mostly, but. Here you can find out what a first class harmony orchestra can do with music.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 20, 2013, 10:58:51 am »

Ferrer Ferran (b 1966) is a Spanish composer, who writes primarily for harmony orchestras.
I listen right now to his Passió de Cristo.

It is a powerful work where soloistic intrusions interact with the compleet orchestral  body. I use to listen to symphony orchestras mostly, but. Here you can find out what a first class harmony orchestra can do with music.

Great, isn't it - discovered him a few weeks back & put him on the YT thread....maybe your backing will boost interest !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: