The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:52:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96662 times)
kyjo
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2013, 01:58:08 am »

Now: Stjepan Sulek's Epitaph for a Lost Illusion. Perhaps not one of Sulek's best works, but still fascinating nonetheless.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2013, 02:06:47 am »

Now: Stjepan Sulek's Epitaph for a Lost Illusion. Perhaps not one of Sulek's best works, but still fascinating nonetheless.

Now that I've finished listening, I can report about one very interesting aspect of this piece: The majority of this work is modern tonal (that is, mildly dissonant and with tonal centers), but about eight-and-a-half minutes in, Sulek breaks into an unabashedly romantic, melodic episode that could've come straight out of a Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninov symphony! Fascinating, fascinating.......
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2013, 04:07:02 am »

Terra Australis - Ballet
by Esther Rofe ; composed 1946
from this site:
http://www.abc.net.au/classic/content/2013/01/10/3667001.htm
I was bowled over by the quality of this music..Esther Rofe is an excellent composer and should be much better known.
This Ballet is in the general style of Ruth Gipps or Grace Williams with glowing melodies and fine orchestration.
The theme of the Ballet is the hardships of early Australia, the encounter with civilzation, and the expected sympatico for the mistreated aboriginees.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2013, 04:07:44 pm »

I have just heard this - and while the very beginning is a quite acidic, stay with it.
I am still stunned by some of the fine orchestral effects:

Wojciech, Kilar — Krzesany
Antoni Wit - Polish Natl RSO - Cracow Phil Chorus

http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/38131
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2013, 06:57:07 pm »

Now that I've finished listening, I can report about one very interesting aspect of this piece: The majority of this work is modern tonal (that is, mildly dissonant and with tonal centers), but about eight-and-a-half minutes in, Sulek breaks into an unabashedly romantic, melodic episode that could've come straight out of a Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninov symphony! Fascinating, fascinating.......

He frequently does this -- it's an aspect of his compositional style. Sometimes it's oddly disconcerting, at other times magically effective.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2013, 11:55:45 pm »

I have just heard this - and while the very beginning is a quite acidic, stay with it.

I've actually heard this played by - I think - the Scottish National Orchestra as it was then. Stunning experience in the concert hall.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2013, 05:19:47 am »

I've actually heard this played by - I think - the Scottish National Orchestra as it was then. Stunning experience in the concert hall.
Being there would be awesome..
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2013, 05:47:12 am »

Just finished listening to a lengthy but very melodic complete ballet from a composer who was prolific but
who produced a ballet I was not aware of, till now..find out who and hear it at the link below..

op. 71 Scaramoushe, ballet
Neeme Järvi (conductor),Gothenburg SO

http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/37712
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2013, 08:29:09 am »

Hearing The Ernest Block Symphonic Suite of 1944 and am totally blown away by it.
It must be his best piece..one part echoes Rachmaninoff with the Dies Irae theme.
if you have not heard this, you are missing some very fine music...
Listen here:
http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/36052
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2013, 03:24:56 pm »

Just finished hearing Symphony No. 1 (1939) by Miroslav Magdalenic (1906-1969) ... a previously unknown (to me) Croatian composer. A rather conservative work, but with some interesting melodic and harmonic touches, oddly reminscent of Bantock and Elgar at times in the 1st movement. Worth a listen!

(available for download from Amazon, along with other works)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2013, 08:10:19 pm »

Just finished hearing Symphony No. 1 (1939) by Miroslav Magdalenic (1906-1969) ... a previously unknown (to me) Croatian composer. A rather conservative work, but with some interesting melodic and harmonic touches, oddly reminscent of Bantock and Elgar at times in the 1st movement. Worth a listen!

(available for download from Amazon, along with other works)

Never heard of him! Thanks for the tip!
Report Spam   Logged
dholling
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2013, 04:04:17 am »

Tchaikovsky's Third Symphony (brilliant work and brilliant performance courtesy of Muti and the Philharmonia).
The late sonatas of Myaskovsky
Glazunov's Two Pieces for Orchestra (Idyll & Reverie Orientale), op. 14
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2013, 04:06:42 am »

Welcome to the forum! Based on your post, it appears that you are into the Russian Romantics-they're among my favorite composers. :)
Report Spam   Logged
dholling
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2013, 04:14:07 am »

Thank you Kyjo.
Very much so (although I'm very much into the Scandinavian, French and British music also, although Russian/Soviet music is my principal interest and passion).
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2013, 05:03:01 am »

Thank you Kyjo.
Very much so (although I'm very much into the Scandinavian, French and British music also, although Russian/Soviet music is my principal interest and passion).

Excellent! I prefer music from those nationalities as well. Who are some of your favorite composers?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: