The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:10:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96763 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2013, 01:34:18 am »

Listening to the exquisite music of Jean Coulthard - Music On A Quiet Song
from this site:
http://music.cbc.ca/#/artists/Jean-Coulthard
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2013, 08:59:49 am »

"Mystery of Time" really does deserve a modern recording. There is an alternative version available taken from a radio broadcast with the Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra under Vladimir Valek but it is a much lower voltage, more careful and cautious performance. What Ancerl achieves so magnificently in the 1960 recording is to gradually but inexorably screw up the tension as the work proceeds towards its shattering central climax. The Czech PO in its full glory attack the score with total commitment and if the brass appear in this recording somewhat "blaring" then I actually think that suits the music ;D They slice through the pulse of the music in a way which I find quite terrifying.

Hello Colin,

thanks for bringing Kabelac' "Mystery of Time" to my attention - after listening to the recording this morning I also discovered an overwhelming companion piece on the CD,
Jan Hanus' Symphonie Concertante op.31. It is an exciting work for organ, harp, timpany & strings.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2013, 09:33:36 am »

Terrific work by Hanus - & a very useful website, thanks !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2013, 11:44:09 am »

Sometimes you find a work that pleases very much.
Such a work, I'm listening to now, is the DUETTO by the Russian composer Mikhail Gogolin.

Some of you might find it good as I do, so I uploaded it to Mediafire;

http://www.mediafire.com/download/o90habbu266d0ge/gogolin%2C_mikhail%2C_duetto%2C_alekandr_loskutov%2C_vn%2C_galina_loskutova%2C_pf%2C_vologda_phil_c_o%2C_mikhail_gogolin.mp3

On this site you learn more about this composer
http://www.gogolin.ru/en/
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2013, 12:11:57 pm »

Excellent discovery, Mr. Elroel; plenty available at classical-music-online, too !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2013, 10:10:42 pm »

based on your tweak, I started listening to Jan Hanus last nite and did not stop till early morning.
Wonderfully orchestrated tonal works, many with a strong forward motion. Sometimes the melodies are elusive, but I'm sure more listening will reveal them. I'm surprised at how few of his fine symphonies are posted anywhere, yet he was very prolific. There is an inactive link to the 5th at UC and the 7th is mentioned but also a defunct link.
I know there are many talented Czech composers, so he is likely to be ignored.
But maybe lovers of Czech music could reczech this situation. This composer is extremely imaginative and sorely deserves a special thread. (Also the special n character at the end of his name causes problems locating his music.) I hope it did not diminish interest.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2013, 11:24:54 pm »

based on your tweak, I started listening to Jan Hanus last nite and did not stop till early morning.
Wonderfully orchestrated tonal works, many with a strong forward motion. Sometimes the melodies are elusive, but I'm sure more listening will reveal them. I'm surprised at how few of his fine symphonies are posted anywhere, yet he was very prolific. There is an inactive link to the 5th at UC and the 7th is mentioned but also a defunct link.
But maybe lovers of Czech music could reczech this situation. This composer is extremely imaginative and sorely deserves a special thread. (Also the special n character at the end of his name causes problems locating his music.) I hope it did not diminish interest.

I have recordings of Symphonies Nos. 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 which I shall gladly repost if you like :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2013, 11:39:05 pm »

The Hanus Symphonie Concertante is a marvelous work. The lush textures Hanus is able to create in this work are spellbinding! If his symphonies are that good, I simply must hear them!
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2013, 11:47:27 pm »

I have recordings of Symphonies Nos. 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 which I shall gladly repost if you like :)

Dundonnell, please repost the Hanus symphonies, you have my deepest gratitude!!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2013, 02:27:11 am »

I have re-uploaded the six Hanus symphonies and posted the new links :)
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2013, 08:23:54 am »

Hello Colin,

thank you for uploading the Hanus symphonies to this forum!!
Hopefully you have got his works for piano & orchestra (Aristophanic Variations + Three Fragments of the Apocalypse) as well?
I would greatly appreciate an upload of these works.

Best regards,
                         mjkF
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2013, 02:08:02 pm »

I am afraid that the problem appears to be a Browser issue rather than anything wrong with the uploads themselves. I have just successfully downloaded each symphony from the links provided. I use Firefox personally.

In these circumstances I do not think that reuploading the files would do any good.

I do have five more pieces by Hanus-including the ones mentioned-and will up0load these as well.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2013, 04:20:49 pm »

Glad that the links are now ok for you :)

I have re-uploaded five more works by Hanus and added the links to my previous post. I do not have performers for the Three Episodes.

(By the way....it is Dundonnell rather than Odonnell ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2013, 09:56:44 pm »

Listening to music from this site:
The Forgotten Ritual by John Ireland followed by Prairyerth by Robert Johnson..two very delicious morsels of music indeed.
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2013, 12:49:56 am »

I just got 3 CDs from David Kent Watson as part of Cameo Classics' closeout prior to the distribution deal clicking in.  I'm plowing through Brüll and Jadassohn.  Right now it's the Serenade No. 1 of Brüll.  I'm going to upload this entire CD into my system and burn 2 compilation CDs for my conductor friend, all Brüll.  I wonder if there are any overtures by Jadassohn?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: