The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:11:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97272 times)
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2013, 07:04:01 pm »

Cyrillus Kreek.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2013, 09:27:33 pm »

Cyrillus Kreek.

Isn't that a who rather than a what ??? :) :)

If it is, by any chance, the Estonian Requiem I would value your assessment. I fell in love with the piece :)
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2013, 02:39:45 pm »

Listening now to a, I think powerful modern symphony, but very much respecting music history.
It's written for baritone solo and orchestra by Olli Mustonen.

Everytime the Fins surprise me with music I like so much!

Here is link to YT. I think there will be a recording on cd very soon (Ondine?)

Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2013, 04:01:09 pm »

I listened to the Setu Symphony and some Psalms of David. I want to listen to the Requiem again and then comment.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2013, 05:40:54 am »

In an attempt to warm up to Havergal Brian's later style, I listened to his Symphony no. 14 (which in only available in the Archive) tonight. All I can say is more power to those that can get something out of Brian's later works! ;D This and pretty much all post-Symphony no. 6 works leave me cold, for the most part. :( I did like the section in the middle with the harp floating mysteriously above the low brass, but that's about it.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2013, 01:48:25 pm »

Lou Harrison - Easter Cantata & Mass to St. Anthony.

Directed that way from the Hauer thread via YT, & reminded what a pleasure Harrison can be !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2013, 02:02:09 pm »

In an attempt to warm up to Havergal Brian's later style, I listened to his Symphony no. 14 (which in only available in the Archive) tonight. All I can say is more power to those that can get something out of Brian's later works! ;D This and pretty much all post-Symphony no. 6 works leave me cold, for the most part. :( I did like the section in the middle with the harp floating mysteriously above the low brass, but that's about it.

The 14th-strictly speaking-is mid-period Brian ;D The later Brian would be from around No.22 onwards. I too have some problems with later Brian. I would not say that the later symphonies "leave me cold" but their elusive nature take some "getting into". The 14th, which was Malcolm MacDonald's least favourite Brian symphony, actually rather appeals to me in its somewhat bombastic idiom ;D But I am rather surprised that you obviously don't rate Nos. 7-9 which are amongst my favourite Brian symphonies and, in my opinion, his best. These really are marvellous works to my ears :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2013, 03:25:48 pm »

No 14 is one of my favourites! ??? :( ;D It took me years & years to crack open these later symphonies. Probably about 25 years at least! (Makes me sound intelligent,doesn't it?! ;D). Despite the enthusiasm of the HB Society and various 'Brianites',I thought they all sounded the same. To me,Brian had just simply run out of good ideas. (No 16 and No21 were honourable exceptions,thanks to those excellent Lp recordings!)
  Anyway,years later I had a pc & and a cd/dvd writer,and thanks to the enthusiasm of Johan,over at the GMG forum,and the ability to compile cds (via the downloads here) of the symphonies in order.......lo and behold,in true Arabian Nights style (well,sort of! ;D) these indecipherable,gritty,samey sounding late symphonies mysteriously 'opened up'. And,let me tell you,it was wierd the way it happened. I had tried for years to no avail. Suddenly,almost overnight,I was enjoying them!! The sheer variety of ideas and mood. The colour and individuality of Brian's muse. It was like a magic casement opening up. And I'm not exaggerating! I have never experienced anything like this with any other composer. Now I actually prefer them to allot of the earlier symphonies!! ??? :o ;D

It's wierd!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2013, 02:52:20 am »

Just finished listening to Pascal Bentoiu's Symphony no. 1 on YT. Interesting piece to say the least. Lots of interesting sonorities, including the prominence of a group of saxophones which give the work a jazzy edge. Apparently, Bentoiu's later symphonies are more "difficult" than his earlier ones and I didn't exactly find no. 1 to be "easy" in any regard, so we'll see how that goes!

BTW: The Electrecord channel on YT doesn't mark the movement numbers, which is rather frustrating. I did some sleuthing and found them here: http://www.bestmusic.ro/pascal-bentoiu/discografie-pascal-bentoiu/album-8-simfonii-si-un-poem-cd-1-63014.html (The track listings of subsequent CDs can be found by scrolling down to the bottom of the page.)
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2013, 01:48:05 am »

It took me years & years to crack open these later symphonies. Probably about 25 years at least! (Makes me sound intelligent,doesn't it?! Grin). Despite the enthusiasm of the HB Society and various 'Brianites',I thought they all sounded the same. To me,Brian had just simply run out of good ideas. (No 16 and No21 were honourable exceptions,thanks to those excellent Lp recordings!)
  Anyway,years later I had a pc & and a cd/dvd writer,and thanks to the enthusiasm of Johan,over at the GMG forum,and the ability to compile cds (via the downloads here) of the symphonies in order.......lo and behold,in true Arabian Nights style (well,sort of! Grin) these indecipherable,gritty,samey sounding late symphonies mysteriously 'opened up'. And,let me tell you,it was wierd the way it happened. I had tried for years to no avail. Suddenly,almost overnight,I was enjoying them!! The sheer variety of ideas and mood. The colour and individuality of Brian's muse. It was like a magic casement opening up. And I'm not exaggerating! I have never experienced anything like this with any other composer. Now I actually prefer them to allot of the earlier symphonies!! Huh Shocked Grin

It's wierd!! Grin

Bravo! Persistence does pay off sometimes!
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2013, 03:08:19 am »

As promised, the Kreek Requiem was a mixed bag. Very fine choral writing and brass work. Very simple folk-based and real folksongs as themes. I was much disturbed by the constant "Big Ben" motif recurring over and over again.  Does that have some meaning in Estonia?  All and all an interesting listen but nothing I would return to often.
Kreek seems a purely Estonian interest.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2013, 02:57:03 am »

For the umpteenth time ;D ;D one of my all-time favourite works:

Miloslav Kabelac's Passacaglia "The Mystery of Time" :)

Powerful, imposing, granitic, terrifying ;D

His recording is admittedly showing its age but my goodness, how Karel Ancerl nailed this piece with his Czech Philharmonic Orchestra back in 1960. Magnificent blaring brass, hammered timpani, the pieces works its way to such an overwhelming climax and then slowly winds back down, its intensity spent, towards the same mysterious, other-worldly regions as it had began.

Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2013, 03:22:44 am »

Indeed, the granitic power of the Kabelac could never be doubted :) A true masterpiece!

Just finished listening to Bentoiu's Symphony no. 2. I liked this one better than no. 1; it's more accessible with some nice jazzy chords and groovy rhythms. 8)
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2013, 09:05:00 am »

Yes, love the Kabelac, Mr. D !

Similarly gorgeous Sunday listening (stolen from another thread !) - Gavin Bryars 'The North Shore'.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2013, 11:38:22 pm »

"Mystery of Time" really does deserve a modern recording. There is an alternative version available taken from a radio broadcast with the Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra under Vladimir Valek but it is a much lower voltage, more careful and cautious performance. What Ancerl achieves so magnificently in the 1960 recording is to gradually but inexorably screw up the tension as the work proceeds towards its shattering central climax. The Czech PO in its full glory attack the score with total commitment and if the brass appear in this recording somewhat "blaring" then I actually think that suits the music ;D They slice through the pulse of the music in a way which I find quite terrifying.

Actually (for the first time tonight....yes, I know, again ;D) I noticed some similarities between the Kabelac and some later Martinu-the Martinu of the 1950s(the Frescoes, Parables and the Epic of Gilgamesh).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: