The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:52:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97011 times)
kyjo
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 07:59:08 pm »

It is the only orchestral Bacon commercially available and is a moving, accessible piece which I strongly recommend also.

His Elegy Remembering Ansel Adams for clarinet and strings is available on a CRI CD. I agree with you about Bacon. His music is the same accessibility level as "populist" Copland, Harris or Ward but is overall deeper and less brash than the aforementioned composers. :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 08:59:20 pm »

.....and indeed the Elegy's recording is duly noted in my catalogue of Bacon's orchestral music ::) :-[ :)

I am trying to juggle too many balls at the same time these days ;D  Your eagle-eye saves me from egregious error :)
Report Spam   Logged
Jim
Level 2

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 01:58:26 am »

Melartin 4 and Peterson-Berger 3 are two outright gorgeous compositions and are the epitome of Nordic romanticism :) Are you familiar with their other symphonies, Jim? How about the Atterberg symphonies?

I was only familiar with Peterson-Berger 2 before; have 4 to give a proper listening but never heard 1 or 5. Will be working my way through all Melartin's symphonies when I get the chance.

I have been meaning to explore Atterberg! I have downloaded symphonies 1, 6 and 8 and the PC - but with so much to listen to not managed it yet! Anything you can recommend as representative of his best work?
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 02:41:18 am »

I have been meaning to explore Atterberg! I have downloaded symphonies 1, 6 and 8 and the PC - but with so much to listen to not managed it yet! Anything you can recommend as representative of his best work?

I'm the Atterberg man around here ;D, so I'd be happy to give you some recommendations :) The complete symphonies set on CPO is essential listening as far as I'm concerned. My favorite Atterberg symphony and a good starting point IMO is the Third (subtitled West Coast Pictures), which is an breathtakingly gorgeous piece with some vivid nature painting. From there, I would explore the symphonies in this order: 2, 5, 1, 6, 4, 8, 7, 9. I highly recommend the three CPO discs which supplement the symphonies cycle (the main works on each of them are the PC, the VC and the Symphony for Strings). The PC is a hyper-romantic work in the vein of Rachmaninov which boasts some memorable melodies. The VC is a highly-charged, intense work on a symphonic scale with the typical Atterbergian soaring melodies. So, in summary, dig into these first:

If you catch the Atterberg bug (which I guarantee you will ;)), snap these up after exploring the recordings pictured above:

I'd say Atterberg's five best works are:

1. Symphony no. 3
2. Symphony no. 2
3. Piano Concerto
4. Symphony no. 5
5. Violin Concerto

But that's just my own opinion, of course! Just let me know if you need any more help with recommendations. Happy listening! :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 06:57:54 pm »

Listening in my car on the way to and from work today... Mongolian symphonic music.

Music of Sharav and Murdorj from YouTube downloads burned to CDR, and the two Gonchigsumlaa symphonies, burned to CDR from Melodiya LPs. Very nice!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 07:12:12 pm »

Listening in my car on the way to and from work today... Mongolian symphonic music.

Music of Sharav and Murdorj from YouTube downloads burned to CDR, and the two Gonchigsumlaa symphonies, burned to CDR from Melodiya LPs. Very nice!

Yes, that YT channel which contains super-rare Mongolian music is a little treasure trove! The Gonchiksumla (however you spell it ;D) symphonies are remarkable for the influence of RVW (of all composers!) that permeates them.
Report Spam   Logged
Jim
Level 2

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 01:56:12 am »

Thanks Kyjo, CPO set of Atterberg symphonies duly ordered!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 01:59:31 am »

Thanks Kyjo, CPO set of Atterberg symphonies duly ordered!

Some truly marvelous music awaits your ears!  I'd be interested to hear what you think of this set once you get a chance to listen to it. I wouldn't be surprised if you will be as bowled over as much as I was at first hearing. :)
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 05:26:41 am »

No. 3 blows my mind open every time I hear it. No. 5 is the masterpiece of the group. 6,7 and 8 are great fun and No. 9 is still a tough nut for me to crack.
The Piano Concerto is one of the finest ultra-Romantic concertos ever written. Amazingly beautiful!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 06:05:18 am »

No. 3 blows my mind open every time I hear it. No. 5 is the masterpiece of the group. 6,7 and 8 are great fun and No. 9 is still a tough nut for me to crack.
The Piano Concerto is one of the finest ultra-Romantic concertos ever written. Amazingly beautiful!

Totally agreed. No. 9 will come as a shock to anyone expecting the luscious late-romanticism of the other symphonies. I'm not too fond of the vocal aspect of it either; vocal writing was not one of Atterberg's strong suits, I suppose. But then again, he couldn't be a perfect composer! ;)
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 07:15:22 am »

The Atterberg symphonies (and I haven't heard every one yet, but based entirely on what I've heard so far) constitute one of the great neglected symphony cycles of the 20th Century.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2013, 07:41:19 am »

Atterbergs life-asserting music is in a class all by itself..and I would describe it as ultra-romantic. It is one of the first things I would play for someone who was not fond of "classical music" and have done so with some of my freinds..all reacting positively to it.
While the symphonies are a wonderful creation (excludsing no 9) I think something of shorter duration might lure them in.
These two fine pieces did the trick:
En värmlandsrapsodi, Op.36 (1933) (A Värmland Rhapsody) 8'35
Ballad utan ord, Op.56 (1957-58) (Ballad Without Words)
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2013, 07:49:35 am »

Presently listening to the 2nd of 3 symphonies by Christopher Rouse..Highly animated, jabbing, desolate piece, but quite a treat!
Generally, Rouse's music is an assault on the senses, but it is unique, cleverly written and quite accessable (for me, at least)
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2013, 10:06:25 am »

Ştefan Neaga - Poemul Nistrolui

A very romantic piece of music. It is also very Romanian, but that doesn't look strange, because before WW2 is was Romanian territory. In the most of Moldavia Romanian is the language of the people..

The Music Conservatorium in the captial Chisinau is named after him.
His lesser known than Georgi Neaga (most of the time known as Nyaga.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2013, 05:58:13 pm »

The Atterberg symphonies (and I haven't heard every one yet, but based entirely on what I've heard so far) constitute one of the great neglected symphony cycles of the 20th Century.

+1 :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: