The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:35:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96652 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: November 01, 2014, 11:24:28 pm »

No 2 has long been one of my favourites, but more recently I am fixated on No 3, which has one of those wonderfully exultant openings - reminiscent of Schmidt #2. When you analyse it, it's actually a synthetic melody, but it just sounds so glorious.

DA diddle-diddle-diddle DUM!

Then rising scale:

Da da da da da da da DUM!
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 05, 2014, 11:06:39 pm »

Complete Sulek Symphonies cds gives a wider wiew of this composer (for instance half of 2 Symphony was under level of listening) this surely isn't a fault of uploader but underscore quality of professional mastering.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 24, 2014, 09:42:35 am »

Listening right now to a beautiful double concerto, I found on YT.

Marius Herea's Sonata double concertante for violin, piano & orchestra.

Wonderful playing by Oksana Peceny.
The work is very romantic in feel to me.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 24, 2014, 11:18:36 pm »

Complete Sulek Symphonies cds gives a wider wiew of this composer (for instance half of 2 Symphony was under level of listening) this surely isn't a fault of uploader but underscore quality of professional mastering.

what a great find...where can I get them?
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #589 on: November 25, 2014, 06:07:52 am »

A new release on CPO   (June 10, 2014) of Lars-Erik Larsson Sym no 1 and Music for Orchestra..... nice!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JH53O7A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   Vol 1 .... I hope we see vol 2 and 3
Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 26, 2014, 03:39:39 am »

I hope we see vol 2 and 3
The BIS recording of Larsson's symphony 2 by the Helsingborg SO under Frank is much better than a mere stop-gap. But we urgently need a fully professional account of symphony 3, played with panache -- the sort CPO has provided before to Scandinavian symphonists.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #591 on: November 26, 2014, 02:56:36 pm »

yes... what did you think of his Sym #3 on BIS?    was thinking of purchasing that next.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #592 on: November 26, 2014, 04:04:26 pm »

Reading a biography of Morton Gould, so listened to his Piano Concerto, Interplay, Chorale and Fugue in Jazz, next plan to listen to his 4 symphonies in sequence. Lots of his things are done by Naxos and Albany. Very enjoyable. Sad that he always felt such reticence and would denigrate his own music because he had very little "formal" education, but he was a star, especially during the war, and many of his more serious works seem really genuine and pleasing to me. I like him.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 26, 2014, 09:34:17 pm »

Jolly Roger, I know for a certainty that they are available from www.recordsinternational.com.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #594 on: November 27, 2014, 06:25:11 pm »

I hope we see vol 2 and 3
The BIS recording of Larsson's symphony 2 by the Helsingborg SO under Frank is much better than a mere stop-gap. But we urgently need a fully professional account of symphony 3, played with panache -- the sort CPO has provided before to Scandinavian symphonists.

any thoughts on the Sym #3 with Sten Frykberg conducting on BIS? 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000027F8K/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2ET6QGDYX33YB

thinking of buying this next.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 28, 2014, 04:35:33 am »

Jolly Roger, I know for a certainty that they are available from www.recordsinternational.com.
BrianA - Thanks for the lead, this is a fabulous site for obscure composers and their music not otherwise available..
With Christmas coming up..I can suggest this as a great gift..
Report Spam   Logged
creative
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 20, 2014, 06:56:55 pm »

I am currently listening to the symphonies of Vermeulen thanks to Roger..... :)
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 21, 2014, 12:24:38 pm »

I am currently listening to the symphonies of Vermeulen thanks to Roger..... :)

Hope to learn your verdict on each of them soon.  ;)

My own discovery, this year, were the ten symphonies of John Kinsella (except for 'Millenium Symphony' No. 8, performed in 2000, but the recording of that occasion did not pop up yet).
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
guest377
« Reply #598 on: December 21, 2014, 10:22:40 pm »

Just received the Jean Sibelius The Essential Orchestral Favourites with Photo Album on Ondine in the post today.   This is a 2014 release and would recommend it if you are a Sibelius fan.  Several photos have never been published before ... also the booklet is very informative.

see also http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWZIR32/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Report Spam   Logged
creative
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 22, 2014, 08:03:52 pm »

Roger,

Good Call...I have that Schreker piece on a Gielen disc B/W Mahler Fourth.....

Robert
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: