The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:28:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97088 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3105 on: October 15, 2021, 09:15:19 pm »

I received this s/h set today and this is my first listen.

Thanks for a well-informed appreciation of this masterpiece of musical theatre! When you've had a listen to this recording, please rate it in your opinion.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: October 15, 2021, 09:29:41 pm »

Coincidentally,I am just finishing my post now! :) I've got to say,this recording is one of the best I've heard! It might even be my favourite now? (I did say might!) Why the high rating? Just the liveliness of the playing,the quality of the singing,general atmosphere and the delivery of the dialogue,which actually get's you listening,in stead of the tendency to nod off,periodically! As to the cockney accents! Well,there's nothing as bad as Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins,or Joan Bennett's cringeworthy,cockney sparrah in,the otherwise excellent 1941 Fritz Lang thriller,Manhunt,based on the Geoffrey Household novel,Rogue Male,which could strip paint! It's that bad!! :o :o :o I don't think anyone in their right mind would regard the cockney accents here as authentic,but they don't bother me;and they are delivered with some gusto! A thoroughly excellent recording! I am really enjoying this! All of which begs the question? Why don't Hyperion reissue it? Perhap's they believed that Gramophone review I read?!! Yeah,and some of the stuff they like! And look at it now!! ::) An excellent recording! :) :) :) :) :)

Great photography! Terrible cockney accent! :o :o :o
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: October 16, 2021, 12:18:12 am »

Piano music of Helene de Montgeroult, and enjoying it a lot
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3108 on: October 16, 2021, 12:29:23 am »

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: October 16, 2021, 12:58:09 am »

Peggy Lee's 1958 album,recorded in Hollywood! Peggy Lee was so cool! :) :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: October 16, 2021, 10:23:05 am »

Peggy Lee's 1958 album,recorded in Hollywood! Peggy Lee was so cool! :) :) :)

Better get a new support bra methinks.

:D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: October 16, 2021, 05:10:24 pm »

Cd 2 of this 4 cd survey of her earlier recordings from 1944 to 1950. A 48 page booklet packed with photographs (and more bra support! ;D)  as usual with these Proper sets. They released an earlier fat box set,that has some recordings that aren't on this one & predictable overlap,so if you like Peggy Lee you end up buying both sets! ::)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: October 16, 2021, 08:00:57 pm »

Do they swing in contrary motion? Hurry, while tickets are still available...

Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: October 16, 2021, 08:36:45 pm »

All good stuff. Not heard the Violin Concerto for years, very glad to encounter it again! The Lady of Shalott is sheer magic.

Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: October 16, 2021, 09:41:02 pm »

Re: New Bliss cd! According to someone on another forum (not that one!) according who totted up the timings on the BBc Radio Classics cd and the new Dutton;the new recording of the ballet amounts to 7 minutes more music. Some of this could relate to differences in tempi?

It certainly gives a new meaning to swing! :o ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: October 16, 2021, 10:44:59 pm »

Cd 1. Prompted by my recent playing of The Beggars Opera,I decided to listen to another,distinctly,English opera! I noticed two copies of this set today for just over a fiver! One of them was described as "Like New"! I decided to take a punt on it! The other one is still on sale!
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3116 on: October 17, 2021, 04:30:32 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: October 17, 2021, 07:10:07 am »

Re: New Bliss cd! According to someone on another forum (not that one!) according who totted up the timings on the BBc Radio Classics cd and the new Dutton;the new recording of the ballet amounts to 7 minutes more music. Some of this could relate to differences in tempi?

The BBC Radio Classics recording only omits two movements.

Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: October 17, 2021, 12:34:00 pm »

Aha! The new recording will be in better sound,too (presumably?). I've got it lined up for another listen.
I like Ethel Smyth's The Boatswain's Mate. I love the sparing instrumentation. It actually,makes me think of Britten. The opera it brings to mind,the most. (For me,anyway) Albert Herring. Smyth's opera is more tuneful,though & more fun! Albert Herring has me looking at timing's,a bit! Peter Pears,notwithstanding (I don't mind his singing,other's do!) the quality of the Decca cast keep me listening & Britten's sparing instrumentation. But it does go on a bit! Smyth is more entertaining and I don't keep looking at track timings!! ;D

I see that there are still some unrecorded operas:

Entente Cordiale (1923-24)
Der Wald            (1899-1901)
Fantasio              (1892-94)

Fantasio,apparently,suffering from a poor libretto! Der Wald was performed at the Met. According to Wikipedia,it was "a popular & financial success" for the company. Entente Cordiale,a one act comic opera was broadcast on BBC radio,in a performance conducted by the composer. Of course,Albion will be aware of all this!

Playing now! Smyth: The Boatswain's Mate   The 1916 excerpts conducted by the composer.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: October 17, 2021, 01:18:19 pm »

The Cricket on the Hearth Overture. Lovely,tuneful,imaginatively orchestrated! :) (Nice artwork,too!)
Makes you want to hear what comes after it,though? Will we have a long wait?!! ::)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: