The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:41:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96646 times)
guest822
« Reply #2505 on: July 28, 2021, 04:20:23 pm »

If it was up to me,mind,I'd just close down all the radio and tv stations and bring back the music hall!! ;D

You're not going to tell me that you remember Florrie Forde and Marie Lloyd...  :o

I bet he remembers Vesta Tilley...

...The Piccadilly Johnny with the Little Glass Eye.

;)

When Tilley sang The Piccadilly Johnny with the Little Glass Eye at the Royal Command Performance in 1912 wearing trousers as part of her act, Queen Mary was so scandalised at seeing a woman's legs that she hid her face behind a programme. Her Majesty was clearly 'suffering much from spleen and vapours'. I wonder how she'd have reacted to the sight of Danny La Rue in full fig. ;)
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: July 28, 2021, 05:05:00 pm »

Katie Derham?!! ::) Oh well,it could be worse! Myleene Klass!! Just wait until she takes over Composer of the Week!! (Ghoulish laugh!) :o ;D

I don‘t know this gentlewoman but I hope Donald McLeod will continue to present Composer of the Week far beyond his death!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: July 29, 2021, 01:24:15 am »

I think I might have been out with Piccadilly Johnny's glass eye,but I'm not that old! ;D It just sounds more fun than sitting in front of the tv! For a start,if you didn't like the act you could heckle them or throw missiles at them! And if they didn't like you,they could yell back & throw something at you! There's nothing worse than sitting there having to listen to some of the unfunny,overpaid comedian's & entertainer's you get on tv,these days,and not being able to let them know exactly what you think of their act! Sometimes it would just be nice to be able to throw a rotten tomato or egg at a so-called comedian or entertainer,and watch them wipe it off their smug,annoying face! Unfortunately,unless I cover my tv with cling film and the carpet with tarpaulin,my tv could get very messy,I have to clean up;and what's the fun in that? Cathartic? Maybe? But not the cleaning up! ! wouldn't use a brick,though! (If I was in a music hall,not my telly!) Just in case,their aim was better than mine! (And I was no good at sport!) On the plus side,if you got hit on the head with a brick,you wouldn't have to watch the end of their act!

I remember my grandfather who remembered Music Hall's,used to talk about them! I remember asking him (and my grandmother) to sing some old music hall songs for me. They told me they'd been members of a Glee Club,and I remember I thought I was going to be like Cecil Sharp collecting & recording old english folksongs. I was lucky I left my cassette recorder at home! ::) Their voices were all cracked and out of tune!! And they knew allot of old music hall songs!! ::) :(

They used to have a program on BBC2. The Good Old Days. Lionel will know it,and maybe,he was in the audience?!! ;D It passed the time very nicely;but it was nothing like the music hall,which was boisterous and rowdy;and before the first world war,more like a pub with a stage,than the kind of theatre we're used to!! (Or,like those old Westerns;although,I don't think anyone went so far as to shoot anyone?!).
Report Spam   Logged
Chriskh
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: July 29, 2021, 07:47:15 am »

Lionel, the Steinberg Boston 1969 Elgar 2 is available here  https://www.norpete.com/c1821.html in a double pack with a Cleveland 1957 Enigma and the Cello Concerto (Nelsova/Boston 1969). I've ordered St Laurent Studio CDs from time to time and their quality is good (not too much fiddling around), though documentation tends to be minimal.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2509 on: July 29, 2021, 08:39:49 am »

Lionel, the Steinberg Boston 1969 Elgar 2 is available here  https://www.norpete.com/c1821.html in a double pack with a Cleveland 1957 Enigma and the Cello Concerto (Nelsova/Boston 1969). I've ordered St Laurent Studio CDs from time to time and their quality is good (not too much fiddling around), though documentation tends to be minimal.

Thank you so much, Chris. I shall get onto it this afternoon!
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2510 on: July 29, 2021, 09:51:20 am »

I think I might have been out with Piccadilly Johnny's glass eye,but I'm not that old! ;D It just sounds more fun than sitting in front of the tv! For a start,if you didn't like the act you could heckle them or throw missiles at them! And if they didn't like you,they could yell back & throw something at you! There's nothing worse than sitting there having to listen to some of the unfunny,overpaid comedian's & entertainer's you get on tv,these days,and not being able to let them know exactly what you think of their act! Sometimes it would just be nice to be able to throw a rotten tomato or egg at a so-called comedian or entertainer,and watch them wipe it off their smug,annoying face! Unfortunately,unless I cover my tv with cling film and the carpet with tarpaulin,my tv could get very messy,I have to clean up;and what's the fun in that? Cathartic? Maybe? But not the cleaning up! ! wouldn't use a brick,though! (If I was in a music hall,not my telly!) Just in case,their aim was better than mine! (And I was no good at sport!) On the plus side,if you got hit on the head with a brick,you wouldn't have to watch the end of their act!

I remember my grandfather who remembered Music Hall's,used to talk about them! I remember asking him (and my grandmother) to sing some old music hall songs for me. They told me they'd been members of a Glee Club,and I remember I thought I was going to be like Cecil Sharp collecting & recording old english folksongs. I was lucky I left my cassette recorder at home! ::) Their voices were all cracked and out of tune!! And they knew allot of old music hall songs!! ::) :(

They used to have a program on BBC2. The Good Old Days. Lionel will know it,and maybe,he was in the audience?!! ;D It passed the time very nicely;but it was nothing like the music hall,which was boisterous and rowdy;and before the first world war,more like a pub with a stage,than the kind of theatre we're used to!! (Or,like those old Westerns;although,I don't think anyone went so far as to shoot anyone?!).

I didn't realise you had such a violent streak! I must be more careful with my words in case I offend you and you come round here all tooled-up! :D

I remember the stories my old dad used to tell about the music hall. He was, for a while just after the Great War, a scene-shifter at the Chiswick Empire. Now he did remember Florrie Forde and Vesta Tilley!  He used to enjoy The Good Old Days too but he did say, as you observed, that it was nothing like the rowdy music hall of his experience.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: July 30, 2021, 10:40:27 am »

Well, I've decided. It's

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%209787

conducted by the incomparable (and much missed) Sir Edward Downes. Four discs of Heaven.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #2512 on: July 30, 2021, 11:29:27 am »

Well, I've decided. It's

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%209787

conducted by the incomparable (and much missed) Sir Edward Downes. Four discs of Heaven.

:)

Very appealing indeed. Would it be needlessly provocative to suggest that (Mozart excepted) the best bits of operas are those which involve only the orchestra, while the singers are all off-stage swigging a G&T and smoking a fag?
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: July 30, 2021, 11:44:26 am »

Would it be needlessly provocative to suggest that (Mozart excepted) the best bits of operas are those which involve only the orchestra, while the singers are all off-stage swigging a G&T and smoking a fag?

So much lovely purely orchestral music from operas can be had! Leave the warblers to it...

...excerpts are generally enough for me. Except when it comes to Sullivan, Richard Strauss and Schreker.

;)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: July 30, 2021, 05:49:57 pm »

Frank Bridge: Phantasie Trio in C Minor for violin,cello and piano    The Dartington Piano Trio (with Patrick Ireland,Viola)      Hyperion  :)

A little of what you fancy does you good! And as Hylda Baker used to say,I can say that without fear of contraception! :o ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2515 on: July 30, 2021, 05:57:32 pm »

Frank Bridge: Phantasie Trio in C Minor for violin,cello and piano    The Dartington Piano Trio (with Patrick Ireland,Viola)      Hyperion  :)

A little of what you fancy does you good! And as Hylda Baker used to say,I can say that without fear of contraception! :o ;D

Ooooh, yer big girl's blouse!

;D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: July 30, 2021, 07:33:39 pm »

Ooooh, yer big girl's blouse!

;D

I somehow fear such cultural references may be lost on many, but quite frankly who cares?

It's all out there to explore.

;)
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #2517 on: July 30, 2021, 07:39:13 pm »

I somehow fear such cultural references may be lost on many, but quite frankly who cares?

;)

Is there such a word as "googleable"? 
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: July 30, 2021, 08:02:05 pm »

;)

Is there such a word as "googleable"? 

Bloogledebubbleplerumble...

::)
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #2519 on: July 30, 2021, 10:11:21 pm »

This may be a tad hypercritical, but hasn't this thread gone off the rails somewhat? ;)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: