The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:59:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97728 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3540 on: June 25, 2022, 10:02:20 pm »

Re: Coleridge-Taylor's Hiawatha trilogy!

This may be one bug I'm glad to contract,then?!! ;D Just out of interest! What do you think of the old,'classic' Sargent recording? I mean the stereo recording,not the 1929 recording,of course! (I looked the work up,today,on Wikipedia)

I also seem to recall having a 78rpm of Webster Booth singing "Onaway! Awake,Beloved. That record must have sold allot of copies! I gather that allot of people who didn't know a single note of anything else that Coleridge-Taylor wrote (or even who composed it!) got to know the song via that recording. A brief search with google brought up three other 78rpm records with Tudor Davies,John McHugh and,titter ye not ;D........Frank Titterton! Confusingly,for me,the same search brought up recordings of "Onaway! Awake,Beloved" sung by Mr Harry Dearth and Stanley Holloway (baritone). But,of course the music,in that instance,is by Frederic Cowen! Sargent recorded Hiawatha's Wedding Feast in 1929! So you could have listened to the whole piece on 78rpm records! Giving your right arm (or left?) a good ol' work-out in between sides! According to Wikipedia "Sargent recorded the Death of Minnehaha with the same choral and orchestral forces as for the 1929 Hiawatha's Wedding Feast". I had no idea he'd recorded the second part! But,when I looked it up,there it was in Sargent's discography!!
Incidentally,I found a photo of the radiogram my grandmother (my mum's mother) owned! (See below!) It was a beauty (albet,a bit of a monster!) I seem to recall people saying it had a nice (rich) sound to it!

Malcolm Sargent discography! https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/11682899#Discography

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: