The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:55:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96720 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3525 on: June 14, 2022, 12:46:57 pm »

Joachim Raff: String Quartets No's 1 & 7 "Die schöne Müllerin"     Quartetto di Milano   Tudor

While I don't think Draeseke and Rufinatscha are the major talent's some folk at a certain forum think they are,I must admit I do enjoy allot of music by the other bloke they revere and who even seems to be the raison d'être for that forum's existence! (I wish I could say otherwise (spitting in pan! ;D) but I think Raff was a very talented composer. I would hesitate to put him "up there" with the greatest,though. He,undoubtedly,had a rich imagination and had a brilliant gift for writing colourful,imaginative,romantic scores. I think his best symphonies deserve an occasional hearing & would go down well with audiences in concert halls. Perhaps not so well with the critics! I think some of his chamber music is of a very high quality,indeed & it is hard to understand why music of such high quality isn't good enough for the repertory. I think one of the problem's is that,even if a 'critic' likes a piece of music,they don't want to put their head above the parapet and admit they like,or even,admire it;because they know what the majority think! And then there's the phenomena of people thinking in pack's which psychologist's,sociologist's & even occultist's have written about! But I don't think I'll go into that here?!! While I don't like comparisons anymore than allot of member's here and I believe in enjoying a piece of music for it's own sake,I would hesitate to put Raff "up there" with the likes of Mendelssohn,Schubert,Schumann & Weber. I think his music tends to lack the visionary and spiritual qualities and humanity (not that Raff wasn't a nice man) I find in some of those composer's. There is an element of the "drawing room" to some of Raff's symphonies,which tend's to leave them,somewhat,wanting in comparison. Which is why Raff's depiction of woodland & sprites pales in comparison to Mendelssohn's A Midsummer Night's Dream (for example). It is a lovely score,though and possibly my favourite Raff symphony,along with No 4. There's no doubt Raff's symphonies should be enjoyed on their own terms. Indeed,I like them all & in many respects,taken as a whole,they are an important contribution to romantic music of the period and deserve to heard! Anyone who doubt's Raff's talent for orchestration needs to have a listen to No 9. The performance on the Tudor cd is superb.

NB: like to think that if Raff was,somehow alive,or "with us",he'd be hiding from AH & the other forum moderator's (over there!) on this message board,while appreciating all the work they do on his behalf from a safe distance! ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: