The Art-Music and Linguistics Forum
August 18, 2022, 11:49:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 76362 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: May 17, 2022, 12:36:09 pm »

Anton Rubinstein: Symphony No 3 op.56 & Eroica Fantasia op.110

This has been on rotation since I got up. (I'm listening via wireless headphones,just in case anyone thinks I'm just sitting on my b*******!) No surprises here (Although,there is one,which I will come to!) but a good deal of pleasent,undemanding music with some felicitous orchestration. It's even quite tuneful! In fact,all very enjoyable,to my ears! The Eroica Fantasia is,possibly,even better! I had an idea that it was the Symphony No 3 "Eroica",when I put it on. Thankfully,on looking at the back of the cd I was mistaken. A Rubinstein Symphony No 3 dubbed "Eroica" would just put itself up for a kicking! As it is,the Eroica Fantasia,a substantial orchestral work,clocking in at around 28 minutes (just over) is,arguably,superior to the symphony with which it is paired. Both works are performed with some gusto by Stankovsky & the Slovak RSO although my imagination craves lush,silken strings,a more robust brass section and sumptuous sound. Come on Cpo,Chandos (or even MDG!). The big surprise I referred to earlier,in the "Eroica Fantasia",is the massive gong stroke (about 20-21 minutes in) which had me sitting up straight!! Fun! :) I love massive gong strokes in orchestral works! :) But imagine that gong stroke in sumptuous SACD sound!  On the whole,I think the playing & sound on this cd is better than on some of the other Anton Rubinstein recordings I've heard.

Psyched up by my previous post about Rubinstein,I bought the old Centaur cd of Symphonies 3 & 5 (the first ever recording of No 3) and it will be interesting to compare it with this recording,particularly as I couldn't find any reviews online (more or less s** all!). I also bought a very cheap s/h copy of the MDG recording of the "Ocean" Symphony. According to an Amazon review it more or less supplant's the Naxos & Russian Disk (latterly,Delos) recordings. I hope so?!! My private fantasy is Cpo recording A Rubinstein cycle! Other's here,may regard that as their idea of a nightmare,or at best,a cure for chronic insomnia?!

I've got to say,looking at his portrait on the front of this cd,I wouldn't have fancied telling him to his face that his music was tosh,even if I thought it was :( ;D?!

PS: Rubinstein's music sounds power-packed after Draeseke (an exaggeration,I know,but it feels that way!)

PPS: I'm just waiting for someone to tell me his music is a load of old rubbish! ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: