The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:44:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97795 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: June 07, 2021, 01:21:00 pm »

Gilbert & Sullivan: Prince Ida  The Complete 1924 Recording with Henry Lytton as King Gama     (A cd-r! Sourced from a Youtube Upload!)

This is more like it! I'd forgotten I had this. This recording is of historic interest.Savoyards will know how important Lytton's presence is on a recording. This really is an excellent recording. Probably,the best I've heard,apart from those BBC recordings. It also includes,"Come mighty,must,". Apparently,it is the only recording to include it,apart from the Ohio Light Opera Princess Ida;which I notice,get's four stars at Okapple,despite some of the moaning! (They are a picky lot! Well,either that or I'm easily,pleased!)
I don't know who uploaded this;but for lovers of shellac swish,pop and crackle,there's a,veritable,feast in store,here! ;D You can even hear what sounds like the pick-up arm being put down. Furthermore,you have to wait about a minute for the recording to begin and remind the cd player to move to track 2 (that bit's probably my fault?! ::)). This really is a good performance,though. Well worth braving the assault and battery of the,obviously,worn 78 rpm records from which this recording,presumably,derives. And,unlike some of these heavily filtered transfers I've heard,it does sound wonderfully clear!!

NB: I'm not sure that was actually a 'complete' upload?! But it was nice to hear,at least,what I got to hear! :)

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: