The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:45:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97217 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: April 13, 2019, 01:56:53 pm »

Arnold on Brass (Conifer).I'm not usually that mad about Brass band music;but this one is great!! Although,the last track (The Padstow Lifeboat) began skipping last night! :( Some light scratches visible. After a clean;I'm hoping it will work! The way the band get all the sonorities,humour and atmosphere of Arnold's music is quite brilliant and fun! Arnold conducts the last track,with the "insistent offkey foghorn (based on the real one at Trevose in Cornwall" (Quote from Gramophone review,which describes it as a stunning aural experience"!) I love the jolly artwork too! Perhaps I should add some more Brass Band music to my collection?! Oh,and I'll have to hear his Symphony for Brass Instruments,won't I?

And.......YES,it played all the way,through! :) Some of the playing is quite thrilling! I love the whistling on one of the tracks! Superb! I wish my mother was still alive to hear this one. She liked Arnold. I remember my parents sitting down to watch a program about him,on BBC2,back in the eighties (or nineties?) expecting some jolly looking man;and being confronted,by,a close up,of this miserable,embittered face,wailing about the disdain of the musical establishment towards his achievement! Of course,my mother knew his music from the jollier,more upbeat works.

Holbrooke next!! :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: