The Art-Music Forum
August 20, 2019, 07:06:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 14901 times)
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: July 15, 2018, 12:38:49 pm »

Playing here,now! (And since last night!) I love Holbrooke's orchestration. It's just so gorgeous. The "Auld lang Syne" Variations show off his ear for darkly,slightly gothic,late romanticism,at it's (near) best. Yes,it rambles a bit,but it's the orchestration that keeps me listening. It really tickles the old ear drums! The "Grasshopper" concerto is a lovely work. No wonder it's,probably,his most recorded work (in it's various guises). I adore the leaping motif that,apparently,gives the Violin concerto it's nickname. It is also one of his most well constructed works. Long term,thematic developement not being one of Holbrooke's strongest points (based on the available,recorded,evidence). The collection rounds off with his tone poem The Raven. You can practically hear the bird tapping on the window pane. Holbrooke loved,and lived,Edgar Allan Poe,and no one captured the atmosphere quite as effectively as Holbrooke. If Beecham had managed to record The Raven and Ulalume (he did talk about recording Holbrooke towards the end of his career) it's possible that Holbrooke's story might have been a little different. Although,not that different,I fear! This is,probably,the best collection of Holbrooke to appear on cd,to my mind. I'm really looking forward to the third release in this series,which will include the third symphony "ships",with the same orchestra and Howard Griffiths at the helm. A magnificent series and I'm so grateful to Cpo,Howard Griffiths (and Holbrooke champion,Gareth Vaughan) for what they have been doing for this wonderful (imho! Grin) composer!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: