The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:44:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97882 times)
SerAmantiodiNicolao
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: January 11, 2014, 05:54:56 pm »

the CPO Hendrik Andriessen Symphony No.2 together with three shortish orchestral works. All well-wrought pieces which demonstrate Andriessen's mastery of both ancient musical forms and a distinct neo-classicism. Andriessen was a fine composer-although without, I think, the innovative genius of his fellow Dutchmen Vermeulen, Pijper or Badings.

I would rather listen to Andriessen than Vermeulen, Pijper or Badings any day of the week, especially Pijper, whom I find a bit of a bore. I was at the UK premiere of Hendrik Andriessen Symphony No.2, and the orchestra was forced by the audience to repeat the scherzo. I have read about that sort of thing happening in musical history, but it was the first time I witnessed it.

I once sat directly behind Louis Andriessen at a concert, and I was so tempted to tap him on the shoulder and say how much I admired ... his father's music.

Incidentally, the Dutch Composers channel on YT has a lot of minor pieces by H.A. which are worth a listen. 

Pijper can be a bit uneven, but by and large I find I've enjoyed most of his work that I've sampled.  I have the trunk of Merlijn on CD, and I was quite taken with it.

Talking of the Andriessen clan, we're actually getting a Louis Andriessen festival here in DC later this year: http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwclassical/article/Washington-DC-Festival-Celebrating-Dutch-Composer-Louis-Andriessen-Set-for-April-6-13-2014-20130725

Why, I'm not sure.  But I'm certainly curious enough to attend a couple of performances.

Back to the topic at hand, last night I listened to a lovely disc of Giannini chamber music that I purchased with my Christmas gift card.  He's rapidly becoming one of my favorite American composers, and this listen did nothing to dispel my opinion of him.  Today's a nasty, dreary, rainy day, so I'll be listening to the Met broadcast of Die Fledermaus...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: