The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:27:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96995 times)
kyjo
« Reply #315 on: December 27, 2013, 09:33:01 pm »

Atterberg is a much more considerable figure than Borresen IMO. His 2nd and 3rd symphonies are my favourites; the 3rd in particular is one of those works so emotionally overpowering I can't listen to it too often.

Indeed! Borresen was a minor composer; his music is enjoyable but doesn't have much staying power. That said, there are many good things to be found in his Symphony no. 1 and VC. Atterberg, on the other hand, had a masterful command of the orchestra and poured his heart into all of his music, producing glorious results. His 2nd and 3rd symphonies are my favorites as well, along with the 5th. I agree with you about the 3rd-the finale in particular is so deeply overwhelming that it can bring tears to my eyes :) Only very special music can achieve that :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: