The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:40:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97860 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: December 06, 2013, 12:21:22 pm »

Many thanks, very helpful again!

RE Rangström: I realized that my memory had fooled me soon after posting this.  :-X It was his Second Symphony that I first heard and that's the one that kept me away from all others for long. I played the Third and Fourth later today, and they are indeed the ones I will return to.  :)
That's the one that bored me! I quite enjoyed listening to Rangstrom's symphonies,or perhaps I should say,I found them quite interesting. I can't say I was 'grabbed' by them. It wasn't like listening to Langgaard,Martinu or Brian for the first time! Or even Roy Harris (until I found too many of them sounded a bit the same). I need to have another listen though,to fully make up my mind. I remember a Gramophone review,years ago,being very dismissive. I think that reviewer was unduly harsh;but again,I can't say my reaction was,"Wow! But I think they are worth hearing. Except,No2,I suppose! ;D How often you will want to listen to them again is another matter. Luckily Rangstrom didn't get the 'Plovdiv' treatment,so you have a decent chance to decide? (I'm giving Louis Glass the benefit of the doubt,until he gets a better crack of the old whip! And anyway, I like No's 3 & 5! Come on Cpo/Chandos!)

One additional point! I can't help feeling that Rangstrom No 1,3 & 4 are the kind of thing that Langgaard did much better! (No1,anyway!)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: