The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:38:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96644 times)
kyjo
« Reply #210 on: December 05, 2013, 07:58:35 pm »

Thanks for the tip! Am playing the Fifth at this moment, and begin to see what you mean. I think I only played the later symphonies, as I generally prefer later work with all romantic composers, so I played Atterberg 7 and 8 a lot (and my 'articiallity' refers to No. 7 especially) and also the Ninth and Sixth. Up for No. 5 now.

I remember I had a similar experience with Rangström, playing his Third and Fourth Symphonies and not liking them at all (again, found them mannerist, not very 'sincere') and it took years before I played his First and found it far more convincing.  ::)

BTW, though the booklet coming with the Ondine set of the six symphonies gives no hint of their existence, Melartin actually composed two more symphonies. Wikipedia describes them as Symphony No. 7 "Sinfonia gaia", Op. 149 (1935–1936, unfinished) and Symphony No. 8, Op. 186 (1936–1937, incomplete). Given the development shown in the previous six, I'm sure I would be most interested in these two later symphonies. Does anyone have any information about them? Can they be performed in some form - and have they been?  ::)

Re Atterberg: Don't skip over the earlier symphonies, especially no. 3, which is my personal favorite of the cycle. You may find it too lushly romantic for your tastes, but do give it a listen!

Re Rangstrom: Oddly enough, I rather prefer his Third and Fourth symphonies to the first two! Rangstrom is not a very "sincere" composer by nature: he's very unbuttoned and not afraid to go over-the-top!

Re Melartin: Unfortunately, his Symphonies 7-9 are largely unfinished :( Tapiola wrote this in another thread:

A few more details....The manuscript for the 7th contains only the first movement (allegro) plus the first page of the second (without a tempo marking). The manuscript information says "keskeneräinen orkestrointi Artturi Rope", meaning "unfinished orchestration by AR"; I don't know whether this means that the orchestration is unfinished, because the symphony is unfinished, or whether the orchestration for the existing first movement is unfinished. There are some sketches for the 8th, but they "are so difficult to decipher and fragmentary that there can be no talk of a composition in the proper sense". No manuscript-material has been found for "Symphony no 9", although in a letter to a friend, dated January 6, 1936, Melartin writes that it is "now finished". So what we do have are the first six symphonies plus the first movement for the 7th, to which the composer gave the name "Sinfonia gaia". This information was derived from the excellent home pages of Erkki Melartin Seura.

But who knows, perhaps someone could patch up the Seventh, at least? ???
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: