The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:06:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97588 times)
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2013, 10:52:19 am »

A post from the Musicweb message Board by 'Jeffrey Davis' (is this our own Vandermolen?!) rounds off his review with a complaint about the neglect of Ruth Gipps by cd labels. The Fourth symphony "a wonderfully life-affirming and inspiriting score". "All the works by this composer that I have heard have been great". And quite frankly I have, personally, lost count of all the enthusiastic posts and reviews I have read, in various places, over the years, about this composer; so why no isn't her music being recorded?

This is indeed 'our own' Vandermolen, and he's absolutely right as far as I'm concerned. The neglect of Ruth Gipps is a pity, the only two recordings of her work (this Horn concerto and the Second Symphony) cry for more, as do the recordings in the archives of this forum (among them Symphonies Nos. 3, 4 and 5). Especially Symphony No. 4 is exactly as he describes it. So, what we wait for is a record company that serves us with more Ruth Gipps, Williams Wordsworth, and Stanley Bate, to mention my own top priorities.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: