The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:56:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97916 times)
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2013, 08:59:49 am »

"Mystery of Time" really does deserve a modern recording. There is an alternative version available taken from a radio broadcast with the Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra under Vladimir Valek but it is a much lower voltage, more careful and cautious performance. What Ancerl achieves so magnificently in the 1960 recording is to gradually but inexorably screw up the tension as the work proceeds towards its shattering central climax. The Czech PO in its full glory attack the score with total commitment and if the brass appear in this recording somewhat "blaring" then I actually think that suits the music ;D They slice through the pulse of the music in a way which I find quite terrifying.

Hello Colin,

thanks for bringing Kabelac' "Mystery of Time" to my attention - after listening to the recording this morning I also discovered an overwhelming companion piece on the CD,
Jan Hanus' Symphonie Concertante op.31. It is an exciting work for organ, harp, timpany & strings.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: