The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:19:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 94289 times)
kyjo
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:00:08 am »

I know I'm obviously plagiarizing GMG here, but what are you currently listening to? Lately I've been catching up with listening to the recent uploads here. Right now I'm listening to the upload of Yegveny Tikotsky's (1893-1970) Symphony no. 6. After a strident opening, the first movement settles into a melodic, folsky mood with very little dissonance compared to the opening. Delightful so far, if nothing revelatory.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 06:29:43 am »

At the moment, listening to Sigismund Toduta Concerto no.4 for string Orchestra and Organ via Utube..
Report Spam   Logged
Bosque Bill
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:36:57 am »

Luc Brewaey's vibrant, colorful "recompositions" for orchestra of Debussy preludes (a 2-CD set on the obscure Talent label), Alfred Newman's classic film score "The Robe" (even Aaron Copland regarded Newman as an exceptional American composer) and Bloch's "Three Jewish Poems" (Atlas conducting, on the ASV label). Good listening all around, especially after a long, tiring, six-day work week!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:39:57 am »

At the moment, listening to Sigismund Toduta Concerto no.4 for string Orchestra and Organ via Utube..

I would really like to hear more of Toduta's music. I own this Electrecord CD which contains the Concerto no. 4:

Interesting music. It sort of sounds like as if Bartok had studied Romanian folk music and absorbed influences from Renaissance polyphony.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 06:52:28 am »

Luc Brewaey's vibrant, colorful "recompositions" for orchestra of Debussy preludes (a 2-CD set on the obscure Talent label), Alfred Newman's classic film score "The Robe" (even Aaron Copland regarded Newman as an exceptional American composer) and Bloch's "Three Jewish Poems" (Atlas conducting, on the ASV label). Good listening all around, especially after a long, tiring, six-day work week!

Nice variety there, Bill! I haven't been able to get ahold of a copy of that Talent set, but I have heard Colin Matthews' magical orchestrations of the Debussy Preludes, which take the music to a whole new dimension. As you can see by my avatar, Bloch is a composer whose music I never seem to tire of. He put his soul into every single one of his compositions, producing music of both great purity and passion. :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 01:45:56 pm »

Swiss composer Peter Mieg, specifically the Piano Concerti. A pleasant recent discovery on YT.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 06:44:40 pm »

Swiss composer Peter Mieg, specifically the Piano Concerti. A pleasant recent discovery on YT.
yes..a great find, somewhat in the mold of Frank Martin but much less edgy from what I can gather.
Is that what you hear?
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 12:20:57 am »

3 Avie cd's have my attention right now. All with music of Hans Gál
I'm listening to part 3 Elegie of the 1st symphony
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 02:16:07 pm »

yes..a great find, somewhat in the mold of Frank Martin but much less edgy from what I can gather.
Is that what you hear?

Yes, that's a good assessment. I hear some Poulenc in there, too.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 07:42:50 pm »

Is that what you hear?

Yes, that's a good assessment. I hear some Poulenc in there, too.
Yes, that certainly explains the reason it is less edgy than Martin,maybe a very slight dab of Francaix's style as well
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 09:47:49 pm »

Speaking of Frank Martin, the music of the sadly neglected Quebecois composer Jacques Hetu (1938-2010), which I've been beginning to explore recently, reminds me in places of the Swiss composer's difficult-to-pin-down style.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 10:47:21 pm »

Speaking of Frank Martin, the music of the sadly neglected Quebecois composer Jacques Hetu (1938-2010), which I've been beginning to explore recently, reminds me in places of the Swiss composer's difficult-to-pin-down style.
Hetu's hybrid style of Frank Martin, Olivier Messiaen, Henri Dutilleux and other Frenchmen(esp) is unique and unlike any other music you may hear. (He studied with the latter 2.) I think "intoxicating" would not be innacurate descriptor.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 04:09:57 am »

Now: Going to sample some of Isang Yun's music on YT before purchasing any recordings of it (I've been looking into the complete symphonies on CPO). I've heard it's noisy and very dissonant, so I should approach with caution, I guess! I'll try his Symphony no. 2.

Next: Jacques Hetu's Clarinet Concerto, and, if time allows, his Organ Concerto.

Later: Going to end on a lighter note with some Respighi:

I'll be listening to The Birds tonight.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 05:16:16 am »

Now: Going to sample some of Isang Yun's music on YT before purchasing any recordings of it (I've been looking into the complete symphonies on CPO). I've heard it's noisy and very dissonant, so I should approach with caution, I guess! I'll try his Symphony no. 2.

Not bad at all, in fact, quite fascinating music! Maybe it is one of Yun's more accessible works, as it didn't strike me as "excessively dissonant" or "noisy". Surprisingly enough, I was reminded of Havergal Brian's stream-of-consciousness style of composing. I'll be picking up some CDs of Yun's music for sure! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 05:55:37 am »

Listening to Finzi's and Copland's Clarinet Concertos.
Thorougly relaxing and mesmerizing...this is nite nite time music..
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: