The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:24:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Hilding Rosenberg - Symfoni nr 5, ”Örtagsrdsmästaren” (1944).

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hilding Rosenberg - Symfoni nr 5, ”Örtagsrdsmästaren” (1944).  (Read 634 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2013, 07:22:25 am »

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/avsnitt/232082?programid=4425
Hilding Rosenberg - Symfoni nr 5, ”Örtagsrdsmästaren” (1944).
Solist: Charlotte Hellekant, sopran. Kungliga filharmoniska kören. Sveriges Radios Symfoniorkester. Dirigent: Stig Westerberg. Konsert 1992, Berwaldhallen, Stockholm
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 02:07:37 pm »

Given that the cd version of Rosenberg's Symphony No.5 is around 70 years old I desperately hope that someone has recorded this performance ???
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 02:45:40 pm »

Thanks for uploading the Rosenberg 5th in the 1992 Swedish Radio recording :)

I feel very ashamed and very stupid to admit that I found only this morning that someone had previously uploaded it and that the recording was already in my collection :-[
I should have checked this out first and I apologise if I have put you to unnecessary trouble :-[
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 12:39:15 am »

Thanks for uploading the Rosenberg 5th in the 1992 Swedish Radio recording :)

I feel very ashamed and very stupid to admit that I found only this morning that someone had previously uploaded it and that the recording was already in my collection :-[
I should have checked this out first and I apologise if I have put you to unnecessary trouble :-[
I too, was unaware of the posting, but this did serve to generate interest in this epic work.
It may also provide an opportunity to re-record the piece to compare the audio quality.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 02:03:04 am »

You are absolutely correct :)

The work is a towering masterpiece and its complete absence from cd in a modern performance is one of the most disgraceful omissions from the entire symphonic repertoire :(

Robert Layton wrote that Rosenberg was the "Grand Old Man" of Swedish music; the first Swedish composer to fully absorb 20th century European musical influences and move Swedish music on from the (yes, of course, great) Swedish Romantic tradition represented by the generation composed of composers like Peterson-Berger, Alfven, Atterberg etc.

Yet Allan Pettersson(again, correctly!) gets considerable attention whilst Rosenberg is almost completely ignored.

It is a mystery ::) Rosenberg should be the RVW of Swedish music, honoured and revered. Just listen to the Symphony No.5 and find out what a wonderful work it is, imbued with a nobility of utterance which is quite remarkable.
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 11:22:35 am »

Grove's Dictionary has much praise for the Fourth symphony:

"In 1940 Rosenberg produced one of his greatest works, the Symphony no. 4 ‘Johannes uppenbarelse’ (‘The Revelation of St. John’), a vast composition in eight movements for baritone, chorus and orchestra. The piece is dramatically conceived, with sharp contrasts both in mood and style between the choral-orchestral movements (at times recalling Mahler) and the baritone recitatives, whose tonality is more advanced. The linking a cappella chorales draw on Palestrina and Schütz, but they also continue, from Stenhammar, the development of the Swedish choral tradition.

"The Fifth Symphony [is] a work in a pure classical spirit, forming a pastoral equivalent and complement to the Revelation symphony."
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 08:15:20 pm »

At least the Fourth is available on cd in a relatively modern recording(Caprice CAP 21429/MSCD624) with the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra under Sixten Ehrling(1992).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: