The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:25:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Jack F. Kilpatrick

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jack F. Kilpatrick  (Read 164 times)
MVS
Level 2

Times thanked: 12

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2013, 04:26:11 am »

I expect this is a vain hope, but I would like to hear any of the 8 symphonies of this Cherokee composer!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kyjo
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 05:19:19 am »

Man, how I'd give anything to hear those! He lived from 1915 to 1967 and at the time of his death he was working on a symphony using only Native American patterns! You learn something new every day ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 07:41:47 am »

I have three works by this composer, among them the Fifth Symphony. I'll upload them in the next days, maybe even still today, I'll see. However, I should point out that you shouldn't expect works of bigger scope but rather "pocket pieces": the symphony, for instance, takes just 15 minutes, then there is a symphonic suite of no more than 5 minutes and a violin concerto of about 11 minutes (though the beginning of the first movement is missing). Interesting music, though, I quite enjoyed it when I got the pieces.
Report Spam   Logged
MVS
Level 2

Times thanked: 12

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 02:57:23 pm »

Holger!!

WOW!!  I had no idea I would get anything!  This is great!  THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember his name because my parents took me to see the outdoor drama, "Unto These Hills," in Cherokee, NC when I was a kid. (We were all from NC.)   I was probably around 6 or 7 years old and heavy into Mahler and Shostakovich and I was really impressed with the music that Kilpatrick had written for the drama.  I am really looking forward to hearing these pieces!  (You must have everything!)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 10:28:54 pm »

Wow, Holger, what a pleasant surprise! Many thanks from me as well :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 01:08:57 am »

An amazing surpise! Thanks from me, also.
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 07:55:30 am »

Great to see you appreciate my Kilpatrick uploads. I think that his music is quite interesting: despite its (partly extreme) brevity, it shows a unique tone, it's robust, bold music with bouncing rhythms, at the same time pretty tuneful and melodious. Regarding the three pieces I uploaded, it might be audible that the two purely orchestral works have been written at a later point, since certain tendencies which can already be found in the Violin Concerto are still more elaborated here.

On the whole, Kilpatrick is a nice discovery for me, it's original and fresh music which deserves to be heard. Getting more of it would be welcome, of course, but this really appears to be a very vein hope. In any case, his output must be large, given the opus number of the Fifth...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: