The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:24:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Duttons for October

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duttons for October  (Read 15801 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2014, 01:01:31 pm »

I too will always jump to the defence of Fricker and Wordsworth :) Indeed, I have done a lot more than that over the last few years on three different music forums in strongly advocated their music ;D

"Piers Plowman's Day" is an attractive work. It is a pity, that at 26 minutes, it would not fit onto the same disc as the Symphony No.1(33 minutes) and the Variations, Nocturne and Finale(24 minutes).
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #226 on: March 30, 2014, 12:48:39 pm »

Looking at the R3 schedule for next week during the afternoon, there are some performances from the BBC Concert Orchestra which I assume are from the next batch of Duttons (which I hope means they are on their way soon) - music from Damase, Foulds and Loeffler which I think Tapiola has alerted us to!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 30, 2014, 02:42:52 pm »

I'm not so sure about this: the John Foulds items, La Belle Pierrette and the Miniature Suite are taken from the already-issued volumes 2 and 3.

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest251
« Reply #228 on: March 30, 2014, 03:09:56 pm »

Thanks for pointing that out Albion - I should have checked back on my collection before posting re the Foulds! ;)
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 30, 2014, 10:22:12 pm »

I am told the Braunfels disc is a "stunner".  Braunfels is without doubt a master of 20th Century music. Far and away a greater composer than Hindemith. Any release of his music is a good thing.
He was blacklisted by the Nazis and then by the Boulez-Stockhausen serial killers.
His time has finally come.
Be advised that opinions like "greater than Hindemth" raises greatly heightened expectations among many of us and repeating it for every Braunfels release will not necessarily make it more believable. Personally, I've not heard any Braunfels that was particularly memorable...perhaps this is his masterpiece?? .
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 31, 2014, 12:48:02 am »

Just my humble opinion Jim. No better or worse than anyone elses.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: