The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:27:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Duttons for October

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duttons for October  (Read 15780 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2013, 03:41:48 pm »

Indeed! I've been enjoying the Reference & Karl Krueger recordings on the Bridge label. What wonderful music! Also the Naxos cd of Henry Hadley. Therefore,I was a little surprised to see the reviews of the Converse & Chadwick cds in back copies of IRR Magazine. Muted enthusiasm at the most. And I certainly wouldn't call music like Chadwick's Symphonic Sketches or Tam O' Shanter 'second rate'! ??? ::) I remember thinking what a great Prom item they would make. Also,my delight that 'Tam O' Shanter was,in it's own way,every bit as entertaining & inventive as the celebrated Arnold (I think I actually like it better!! :o :) ).
Anyway,look outside IRR Mag & the reviews are all very enthusiastic,albeit,with a few minor reservations,here & there ie 'Adonais' being a little uneven in places (etc);but you could say the same for some Richard Strauss tone poems.......and give me Chadwick,any day (although I DO  like 'Also sprach Zarathustra! :)).
 The Dutton cd on the other hand receives a good deal of praise from various reviewers.
So,there to the IRR 'critic'!! >:( ;D

From what I've heard,Henry Hadley definately deserves more recordings. I really HAVE been impressed by what I have heard,so far!

Recordings of the FrederickConverse symphonies would be very welcome. Take no notice of that IRR critic Dutton!! ;D I want to hear them anyway!! ;D

I was also impressed by the rather wonderful & eerie 'The Gods of the Mountains-suite' by Arthur Farwell. That opening is genuinely memorable & the approach of the Gods is creepy. I wouldn't like to listen to it in bed,in the dark!! But why no other recordings of Arthur Farwell's orchestral output?! :( :( Surely he has some historical significance,and if this wonderfully evocative suite is anything to go by,some music that could be well worth hearing!

Also very impressive,John Alden Carpenter's 'Sea Drift'.A  particularly lovely piece with some quite magical orchestration. Wonderful!
 I could go on a bit about some of the other pieces,on the Bridge/Krueger cds too (Louis Coerne,Burlingame Hill,etc)......but fortunately for everyone here,I won't! ;D

There is some real buried treasure amongst these composers!! :)

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: