The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:43:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Books about Orchestration - any recommendations?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books about Orchestration - any recommendations?  (Read 976 times)
guest54
« on: January 11, 2012, 10:39:50 am »

Norman del Mar - thanks for the tip!

Most composers are instantly recognizable by dint of their own peculiar instrumentation (which makes a large contribution to their own peculiar "style"). But the first man to produce truly inspired pieces of orchestration as such was I feel Dvorak. And subsequently, as I say, there came many more examples from Debussy, Ravel, Shtrafinski, and others as the twentieth century progressed.

No doubt all the books on orchestration tell us about the possible ranges and playing techniques of all the instruments; something much more difficult would be to tell us how to write inspired passages of the kind mentioned - beautiful effects never before heard. I would be interested to know whether any books even attempted it in the past.

And then come the true modernists of the past twenty years or so, who appear to be striving for novel orchestral effects at the expense of every other musical attribute; that is to say, they have altogether abandoned the idea of music as a combination or succession of tones, and concentrate their efforts on the obtaining of novel orchestral sounds or "colours." I suppose since that has been going on for twenty years or so there must be a book or two about it all in the pipe-line.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: