The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:52:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Hello

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 6112 times)
pencils
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:12:22 pm »

Hi there, and thank you for having me  ;D

I am from Cheshire, in the UK and am pretty music obsessed. I expect to learn a great deal by being here.

Thanks again  :D
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kyjo
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:09:45 am »

Welcome to forum! You'll fit in well with the rest of us here-we're all "pretty music obsessed", if you will ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:59:52 pm »

Well, now I am the 'new boy' :)

Greetings, best wishes, nice to be here and I look forward to sharing views.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 12:06:05 am »

Jeffrey,

Welcome indeed :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 12:09:35 am »

Welcome, Jeffrey! I hope you enjoy your time here :)
Report Spam   Logged
pencils
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 09:45:42 am »

This thread has some familiar faces, I see  ;)

Just to expand on having said hello a short while ago but then being a little quiet...

I really need to say an enormous thank you to those posting downloadable musical links here - the forum has been one of the finest discoveries I have made, full stop. Access to so much music - much of it brand new and excitingly fresh to my hungry ears - has been revelatory!

I may not have been commenting much, but I have been reading avidly and value the knowledge, wisdom and eccentricity  :D of all that I have taken in so far. I have 20+ years of listening to classical music behind me, but probably have little of value to contribute beyond occasional comments. I look forward to extending my small understanding by what you all have to share.

Thanks again  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 12:41:05 pm »

Nice to see you all here. Thanks Colin, Kyle and Pencils.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 08:24:11 pm »

Well, hello Jeffrey - hadn't realized you weren't in this forum yet - and hello pencils, great to see you here! Johan
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 10:07:13 pm »

Nice to see you joining us,Vandermolen;author of many of the GMG's most interesting and informative posts. Also,one of the few people alive on this planet to have heard and witnessed a professional performance of a major work by Granville Bantock,in concert!! :o
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 01:41:14 pm »

Nice to see you joining us,Vandermolen;author of many of the GMG's most interesting and informative posts. Also,one of the few people alive on this planet to have heard and witnessed a professional performance of a major work by Granville Bantock, in concert!! :o

... and one by Havergal Brian in his life-time, if I'm not mistaken.  :)
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 07:54:05 am »

Well, hello Jeffrey - hadn't realized you weren't in this forum yet - and hello pencils, great to see you here! Johan

Great to find another 'Braga Santos expert' defector here  :) best wishes Johan and very nice to be here.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 08:01:31 am »

Nice to see you joining us,Vandermolen;author of many of the GMG's most interesting and informative posts. Also,one of the few people alive on this planet to have heard and witnessed a professional performance of a major work by Granville Bantock,in concert!! :o

Thank you cilgwyn! Nice to find you here too. I was also, as a very small boy, present at the 1966 World Cup Final, but that is another story! The Bantock was great in concert - those six harps all assembled in a row at the back of the orchestra. Others  rare performances I have been proud to be present at include Gliere's Symphony No 3 (first complete performance in the UK for about 90 years I think). Foulds's 'A World Requiem' (first performance since the 1920s) and Vaughan Williams's 'A London Symphony, 1913 version' (first performance since 1920s).
Report Spam   Logged
Octave
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 08:27:04 am »

Hi, I'm a newcomer (and still quite the newcomer to classical music, in spite of mounds of listening) who's been active at the Good Music Guide forum for about a year.  I'm already seeing many familiar names here!

Looks like a very well developed forum with huge amounts of knowledge...looking forward to learning a lot.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 11:58:00 am »

Welcome on board, Octave :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 01:02:44 pm »

Nice to see you joining us,Vandermolen;author of many of the GMG's most interesting and informative posts. Also,one of the few people alive on this planet to have heard and witnessed a professional performance of a major work by Granville Bantock, in concert!! :o

... and one by Havergal Brian in his life-time, if I'm not mistaken.  :)
Of course,the Brontosaurus in the room! ::) ;D

Welcome,'octave'! :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: