The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:36:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Hello

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 6133 times)
guest563
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2014, 01:18:58 am »

Hello Papsrus,

Welcome aboard.
If you're interest lies in 'not so wellknown' or 'not known' composers then you are on the right address.
If you like to do so, tell us something of you're musical taste. So we might be of help. Or you can help us.

Elroel

Thanks!

Classical music is an area I'm just now really sinking my teeth into, coming from a jazz or improvised music background. There seems to be some crossover with music written for traditional classical instrumentation, but which incorporates some non-traditional structure -- whether fully scored or improvised.

Anyways, I'm listening to a lot of the very well-known composers of traditional classical repertoire; romantic period; some so-called second Viennese school stuff. But I'm basically bumping around without much direction as far as more modern or post-1900 music goes.

For instance, I was looking the other day for a concerto or some chamber music that features saxophone -- the John Adams recording "City Noir," which includes a saxophone concerto, looked interesting. But I'm not sure it's quite what I'm looking for.

The Boston Modern Orchestra Project, the Contemporary Chamber Ensemble, and similar small-ensemble stuff seems worth exploring, but I've no idea where to start there, either.

I'll throw out a few names mentioned elsewhere that may or may not be not well-known here that I'd like to explore, but not sure where to start: George Walker, Frederic Rzewski (strong sense of melody, from what little I've listened to, but spins those melodies all over the place in exciting ways), and I just listened to a really nice clip of the Haba string quartet with piano performing Bohuslav Martinu -- excellent. Can be viewed on YouTube here: .

So all in all, I don't know what I'm doing, which is kind of a nice place to be, really. But I'm interested generally in listening to modern music that takes the traditional repertoire and pushes the envelope. (Sounds trite, but there you have it).

I need to noodle around here a bit to get a sense of things.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: