The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:41:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Symphonies with organ

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Symphonies with organ  (Read 2957 times)
guest54
« on: June 19, 2013, 11:30:13 am »

Until recently - when I examined the score - I had not realised that Vaughan Williams's gigantic (seventy-minute) First Symphony of 1910 has a prominent part for organ throughout. Has the organ been used in every recorded performance?

And what other symphonies with organ (good, bad, famous or obscure) are there?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Rainolf
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 08:38:19 pm »

In Charles Tournemires Symphony No. 6 the organ is not used until the penultimate part of the second (and final) movement, where it appears together with a Tenor solo. The composer described this as the voice of Jesus Christ. The organ was Tournemires own instrument, so maybee he wanted to compose a dialogue between him and god.

Hauseggers Nature Symphony uses the organ as an important part of the orchestra (if there is no organ, the composer had written alternative parts for some wind and string instruments).

Wilhelm Georg Bergers Symphony No. 10 has a prominent organ part, too. The organ plays alone over longer sections of the work.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 01:18:51 am »

There are actually many, I will have to look at what I have, but of course the Guilmant 1 and 2, Widor (not sure how many, but think the 3rd) and St. Saens No. 3 are probably well known. Another favorite of mine is the Joseph Jongen Symphonie Concertante for Organ and Orchestra. Lots of Russian symphonies have big organ parts, too. If you want to add in choral parts with orchestra, piano and organ, then the Roentgen Aus Faust will suit you magnificently. I will try to check out some more. I have two favorite types of music, besides all the other kinds, and that is organ and orchestra and piano and orchestra. And when I win the lottery I will commission a Concerto for Organ, Piano, and Very Large Symphony Orchestra! Gosh, one might get the idea that I am somewhat insane when it comes to all this........   Jim
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 03:34:53 am »

These are the pieces for organ and orchestra that I have come across that use the word "Symphony" in the title. There are of course many wonderful organ concertos (so named) as well as many pieces of various other names for organ and orchestra.

Elfrida Andree: Sym No. 2 (with traditional orchestra, or with brass orch)
Wilhelm Berger: Sym No. 18 (No. 10 noted above)
Jacques Charpentier: Sym No. 6
Aaron Copland: Sym for Organ and Orch
Johan Ritter von Herbeck: Sym No. 4 D min Op. 20
Alun Hoddinott: Sym No. 7
Maciej Jablonski: Sym No. 4
Talivaldis Kenins: Sym No. 8
Aram Khachaturian: Sym No. 3 with Organ and Bells
Marcel Landowski: Symphonie Concertante
William Lovelock: Sinfonia Concertante
Dimitar Tapkov: Short Symphony for Organ and Orchestra
Charles-Marie Widor: Sinfonia Sacra (No. 3 mentioned above)
Theo P. Flury: Sinfonia Concertante
Simon Jurovsky: Sym No. 2

And I am sure there are more, and I will love to hear about them. Ah!!!!!!!!! New food for my obsession!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA........... ............. Jim

Report Spam   Logged
oldfezzi
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 04:40:41 am »

Is there some reason for ignoring Mahler 2 and 8 or are they just too obvious to name?
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 08:51:22 am »

The Symphony in G minor (1936-37) by Percy Whitlock (1903-1946) is a true 'organ symphony'. There is a splendid broadcast performance in the archive.

Also in the archive is Peter Racine Fricker's Symphony No.5 for organ and orchestra, Op.74 (1975-76).

Stanford uses the organ prominently in the final movement of his Symphony No.5, L'Allegro ed il Penseroso (1894). There is also an optional organ pedal part in Elgar's Symphony No.2.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
albert
Level 3

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 09:30:29 am »

There is Tchaicovskj Manfred Symphony.
Also Carlo Giorgio Garofalo's Romantic Symphony.
Report Spam   Logged
oldfezzi
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 03:58:54 pm »

Symphony in g, opus 25 of Marcel Dupre for organ and orchestra
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 07:06:12 pm »

There is Tchaicovskj Manfred Symphony.

The score actually specifies harmonium, not organ. Which doesn't sound very effective, so many conductors use full organ and let it rip, which is probably a more satisfactory solution in this problematic work.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 07:07:30 pm »

Oh, Vaughan Williams 7th also has an organ part, with optional scoring for use if no organ is available.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 05:43:12 pm »

Josef Bohuslav Foerster's magnificent Symphony no. 4 Easter Eve contains an organ solo (based on a Czech chorale) in the fourth movement.
Report Spam   Logged
Maestro267
Level 1

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 04:54:51 pm »

Arnold Bax's 2nd and 4th Symphonies both call for organ, No. 2 featuring a deep pedal C in the slow movement and the finale. The 4th has it at the beginning of the symphony, at the end of the first movement (my favourite moment of Bax music), and the last few minutes of the finale.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: